Goodbye Jesus

Black Lives Matter -- Children ordered to sleep in bed with murdered brother’s body

Fweethawt

I'll bet black lives matter is going to be all over this one!

Not...

http://wfla.com/2018/01/01/children-ordered-to-sleep-in-bed-with-murdered-brothers-body/?preview_id=529725

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — A Hillsborough County man is charged with murdering his step-son, then forcing the boy’s brothers to sleep in the same bed with the body all night.

31-year-old Jack Junior Montgomery is being held at the county jail on $870-thousand dollars bond. He is accused of repeatedly punching and kicking 7-year-old Brice Russell.

• Sad 1

Be nice to have an emoji that means "...so pissed off I'd want to take an.... neverfuckingmind.."  

Sick motherfucker here in a supposed First WhirrledPeas Country.

kFL

As a Trump voter I think I'm supposed to be instantly triggered by any mention of Black Lives Matter. This was a bait & switch! :P

Keep it in ToT

• Super Moderator

Not sure what BLM has to do with insanity and child abuse, but whatever. All that matters is we spin everything in a way that further divides us. 

• Like 3

On 1/7/2018 at 2:55 PM, florduh said:

Not sure what BLM has to do with insanity and child abuse, but whatever. All that matters is we spin everything in a way that further divides us. 

Yeah...that is something that concerns me. On the one hand I don't appreciate that BLM's basic mission seems to be to divide people. On the other hand, I consciously try not to dismiss someone out of hand when I find out that they are a BLM supporter, specifically because I'm not for arbitrary divisions like this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 9:34 PM, Bhim said:

Yeah...that is something that concerns me. On the one hand I don't appreciate that BLM's basic mission seems to be to divide people. On the other hand, I consciously try not to dismiss someone out of hand when I find out that they are a BLM supporter, specifically because I'm not for arbitrary divisions like this.

I don't think so. I think the point of "Black Lives Matter" is that "black lives matter, too," because to most Americans black lives (and black deaths) are nothing more than statistics. I read somewhere (quite a while back) that they actually considered saying "black lives matter, too," but it seemed more effective the other way. A person who counters "all lives matter" doesn't get it. That's no counter, it's an agreement in principle. The principle is that all lives should matter, but to most people black lives really don't. Nobody would come out and say it, but the current situation in the U.S. is unacceptable, and most people aren't interested in doing anything about it.

And I'm guilty, too... I haven't put my money where my mouth is in this regard (although I contribute monetarily to several other causes).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lerk said:

I don't think so. I think the point of "Black Lives Matter" is that "black lives matter, too," because to most Americans black lives (and black deaths) are nothing more than statistics. I read somewhere (quite a while back) that they actually considered saying "black lives matter, too," but it seemed more effective the other way. A person who counters "all lives matter" doesn't get it. That's no counter, it's an agreement in principle. The principle is that all lives should matter, but to most people black lives really don't. Nobody would come out and say it, but the current situation in the U.S. is unacceptable, and most people aren't interested in doing anything about it.

And I'm guilty, too... I haven't put my money where my mouth is in this regard (although I contribute monetarily to several other causes).

They just want to mind their own business without being shot for the color of their skin.  They didn't choose to be black.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2018 at 4:32 PM, Lerk said:

Well, my thoughts on BLM are as follows...

It's true that black men are at a higher risk of being killed by police. The problem is that police carry firearms capable of causing virtually instant death, and black men - for reasons we needn't get into here - inspire a greater degree of fear in many people than white men. Generally that instantly fearful reaction isn't a problem, but when someone is carrying a loaded gun it becomes an issue. So yes, we can agree that police use of force is of particular concern to black men.

The question, however, is whether the militant tactics of BLM are either effective or moral. BLM regularly engages in protests that deliberately disrupt traffic and attract large crowds which react violently towards police officers. I myself have been caught in the middle of BLM events and felt unsafe. This engenders anything but sympathy. Their leadership also encourages white supporters to take a less visible role. Doing this has the effect of creating sharper divisions between races. Some are quick to point out that the civil rights protests of the 60s involved similar activities. My reading of historical accounts suggests that they were more subdued. But given that we are where we are at a societal level, it would appear that those civil rights protests did not effect the desired results, and so perhaps they are demonstrative of the fact that this militant approach should be abandoned.

Next there is an element of fairness that I think white Americans don't often consider. Caucasians may feel some kind of guilt due to some sort of unmerited privilege, and feel an impetus to support the BLM movement out of a belief that the black community is especially disadvantaged. I would add, however, that there have been several high profile physical assaults against Indian people in recent years (one by a police officer), and none of them inspired violent or militant protests. This leads an Indian such as myself to feel that BLM and its supporters are not asking for equal treatment, but special treatment. A fearful police officer in a tense situation probably can't tell the difference between a person of African and South Asian descent, at least not in the time before he discharges his firearm. And yet Indians have displayed a far greater degree of reticence towards this issue, as well as restraint in engaging in violent protests. As someone in a similar position to a black male (with regards to police use of force), I have to say that BLM's activities cause immensely more harm than good, and I feel that the entire movement should be disbanded. As a non-black minority who probably looks like a black male from more than a few feet away, I must say that I feel non-black minorities are held to a far higher standard, and such anger would not be tolerated if it came from us.

While I recognize many are offended by the "all lives matter" statement, I would also add that the statement "black lives matter," delivered as it currently is, does not appear to have convinced anyone of its meaning, and has caused many deleterious results.

Some of them have taken to merely kneeling during the national anthem before football games but somehow this has been called disrespectful of our military.  I don't get it.

Personally I don't feel any guilt.  I simply think black people shouldn't have to live in fear.  That isn't right.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mymistake said:

Some of them have taken to merely kneeling during the national anthem before football games but somehow this has been called disrespectful of our military.  I don't get it.

Personally I don't feel any guilt.  I simply think black people shouldn't have to live in fear.  That isn't right.

Regarding the kneeling I have no opinion, as I don't watch football. It doesn't really make logical sense to me. Opposing the national anthem because cops shoot black people makes about as much sense as protesting funerals because the country harbors gays. But hey, whatever.

What I think is wrong is disparaging white people, blocking streets, and otherwise engaging in militant behavior.

They have also tried holding peaceful, candle light vigils outside the police stations when unarmed people get gunned down.  That doesn't seem to work either.  I'm not sure that any kind of protest will convince white supremacists or their sympathizers to change our system.  I can understand why black people keep trying.  If my children were black I would be going crazy trying to figure out how to ask this country's police to not (legally) murder my kids.  Maybe if we listened to non-violent protests then a lot more protests would be non-violent?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2018 at 5:35 PM, Bhim said:

Well, my thoughts on BLM are as follows..

(Sorry for the delay. I haven't been on the site in a while.)

I appreciate your perspective. It seems to me that the civil rights movement of the 1960s did a lot of good, but it didn't finish the job.  The awareness raised recently overall, it seems, has made people think about the problems that still exist and for many to push for a solution.

If you think that BLM specifically is causing more harm than good, I don't have a reason to doubt you. I do hope that in general, due to the increased awareness, more good is being done  than harm though, by whatever other vehicles are involved. Time will tell.