Goodbye Jesus

Should I watch the Da Vinci code?

Anushka

Is it disturbing for an ex-christian to watch? I heard a lot of Christians left their religion after watching this movie.

I am an ex-christian, 100 percent convinced there was no biblical jesus, and that the bible is just a bunch of made-up stories. But, I am not an atheist- I believe there is/was a creator. But, I do not believe in the biblical story of creationism.

PLEASE do not give me any spoilers about the movie. Just tell me id you think it will mess up my head.

The reason for this post is because I found that I got angrier after I found this website- I got angrier at Christianity and what it took from me after I read sad tales of ex-christians rejected BY Jesus. 

I don't get angry when reading facts- like Seth Andrews doesn't make me angry because I think he teaches facts.

Sad personal stories make me angry- maybe because I can relate to them so much.

So, basically, will this Da vinci code movie make me even more angrier?

Goodbye Jesus
  • Super Moderator

If you believe that seeing a popular movie might "mess up your head" then I would conclude that you are in a very fragile state and should avoid any possible triggers until you have more confidence in your understanding.

• Like 1

I haven't seen it because it looks silly (while trying to be serious) and that sort of movie tends to make me angry.

mwc

• Haha 1

It's an entertaining one-time watch if you ask me. Granted that I've never been sucked into a morontheist cult so you may want to take my words with a grain of salt, but as far as I remember the movie deals with the question whether Jesus (it's assumed that there was a historical Jesus) did or didn't have a secret affair with Mary Magdalene. It does deal with christian concepts but at no time is it even implied that there may be anything supernatural to a real historical Jesus. Personally, I even think the funniest scene in the entire flick was someone trying to walk on water, then shrugging "doesn't work". I sooooo loved that... :lmao:

In the end I guess it's up to you whether you start watching that movie, and what you do if you should find it disturbing. We all here can only guess what you might think of it. :shrug:

As long as you realize it is pure fiction. Not a word of truth in it. It's entertainment not history. The author's purpose in writing the book was to make money and become famous so he could make even more money. His plans seems to have worked. 

Wow...this is a real throwback. I remember when the Da Vinci Code (the book) was published back in 2003. I was a "first year" Christian at the time, and in my second year at college. There were all kinds of events put on by local churches and by Campus Crusade in which various apologists would gives talks to preemptively debunk the book.

Never read the book; I was too busy reading the Bible and various church fathers at the time. I watched the movie though. It's actually somewhat reminiscent of National Treasure. Anyway I think Florduh's comments are wisest here. If a movie can mess with your head, there's probably a lot of other stuff you should also be avoiding right now.

21 hours ago, Bhim said:

Wow...this is a real throwback. I remember when the Da Vinci Code (the book) was published back in 2003. I was a "first year" Christian at the time, and in my second year at college.

Rookie...

:lol:

22 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Rookie...

:lol:

Haha, yeah too bad I didn't deconvert while a rookie. Sadly by then I was a seasoned veteran.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a very good movie, so you're not missing anything if you decide not to watch it. But I don't remember it being overly disturbing either for a Christian or an ex-Christian.

• Thanks 1