Goodbye Jesus

Slowly, hopeful signs can emerge...

Ellinas

So, in some ways it's been a usual Sunday.  As normal, I accompanied Mrs E to the church and sat in silence through the proceedings.  As normal, keeping up appearances for the sake of marital harmony and her sense of security.

But then, over lunch she started to talk - about the way others there are so sure that they are right and never question anything.  How, historically, anyone who did not follow the same version of Christianity was beyond acceptance and would be cut off as if they did not exist.  How tradition is enforced (e.g. women should not wear trousers and should have long hair - rules she regularly breaks as to the first and interprets as she sees fit as to the second) and us by attempting pressurise people using terms like "loyalty" and "back to basics".

I was probably as scathing of the whole sorry bunch in my comments as she expected, and more so than I would have ventured not that many years ago.

Now, I judge that she's still a long way from being prepared to turn her back.  But this was somewhat unexpected and left me with something to ponder...

• Like 6

• Super Moderator

That's encouraging -- for you and Mrs E -- and for all of us who are unequally yoked!  Thanks for the good news!

• Like 1

Indeed.  A softly-softly approach can pay dividends over time.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 9:29 AM, Ellinas said:

Indeed.  A softly-softly approach can pay dividends over time.

Funny timing.

This week Mrs MOHO has taken a very strong interest in cults.

She investigates them on the Interwebs and discuses the properties of the aforementioned institutions with me in a "can you BELIEVE that?" type of tone.

I just look at her and smile.

Here's to your softly-softly approach, @Ellinas    :ph34r:

• Like 4

On 1/18/2018 at 3:57 PM, MOHO said:

This week Mrs MOHO has taken a very strong interest in cults.

She investigates them on the Interwebs and discuses the properties of the aforementioned institutions with me in a "can you BELIEVE that?" type of tone.

That's good! Right near the point of my deconversion, I was watching the Oklahoma polygamist cult on the news (early 2007 I think) and thought the same thing, "How can anyone believe such weird shit?" Then the thought occurred to me, I guess I've believed some stupid things also. Then the best thought of all: "I wonder what else I've believed that's a lie."

• Like 3