Goodbye Jesus

Progress?

Geezer

As I've noted in other posts my wife left her fundamentalists roots two years ago and joined the Methodist Church. Honestly, the Methodist seem to be pretty sane people as far as Christians go. My wife also attends a weekly independent interdenominational bible study, but we never discuss religion. It's a forbidden subject in our home. She is fully aware why I am no longer a believer, but that is not a subject open for discussion. 

We went out for breakfast today and out of the blue she says, "We're studying the Epistles in my Bible Study Class and Paul makes no sense to me. He's all over the place and I can't figure out why."

As I previously noted, as part of our compromise we have agreed not to discuss religion. Knowing our deal I said, "I can tell you why Paul is inconsistent and contradictory in his teaching, but if you would rather I not talk about it then I won't." She was silent for a moment or two and then she said, "No, go ahead, but don't lecture me." So I noted first that she was reading the Bible literally and then noted the Bible is literature not history. That's the first problem. Then I carefully went through the historical research that has been done on Paul and noted it is a very real possibility that Paul was a literary figure only. He was a character in a story not a real person. They I provided reasons why scholars have come to that conclusion. 

After that I told her about Marcion and Simon Magus and how they "found" Paul's Epistles in the 2nd Century and the popularity of the Marcionite Churches that came out of those Epistles. And noted again that all of that occured in the second century. Then I noted that many scholars believe Marcion and Simon Magus were the real authors of Paul's Epistles. And I gave her the back story behind all of that and how the Catholic Church became the ultimately survivor. I pointed out the differences between the Orthodox and Gnostic teaching and beliefs. Then I noted that the Christian faith, the Gospel of John, and the Epistles (Whoever wrote them) are all Gnostic. 

When I got to that point she cut me off and said, "That's enough for now. Let me think about all of that. I may want to talk more about this later, but don't bring it up unless I tell you I want to talk about it some more." I said okay and that is where we left it. 

• Like 7

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Inch by inch......

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, older said:

Inch by inch......

Literally. 

That's good news, @Geezer.

Lordie don't the wheels turn slow....

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

It's so encouraging to read these recent posts about our unequally yoked spouses.   

Send some of that mojo my way please!   :):Doh::D

• Like 3

She's on her way my friend!!  This is the beginning for her. Fingers crossed! Just stay nice and calm! :58:

• Like 3

Man, I envy you. Good luck =)

• Like 2

And take it slow. Seeds take time to germinate and sprout. Keep watering them, not too much, not too little. 

• Like 2

One thing is for sure, the so-called Pauline Epistles make NO sense whatsoever. The author is supposedly Jewish, but he craps all over Jews, and craps all over the Old Testament. All so he can "prove" that the Scriptures are a secret code (which only he can figure out) whose sole purpose is to show that the Christ will be crucified (by the Jews) so that salvation can come to the Gentiles. 

That is completely insane. The epistles are insane. 

• Like 1

Oh how I dream of the same scenario, the crack in the dam wall...

8 hours ago, Blood said:

One thing is for sure, the so-called Pauline Epistles make NO sense whatsoever. The author is supposedly Jewish, but he craps all over Jews, and craps all over the Old Testament. All so he can "prove" that the Scriptures are a secret code (which only he can figure out) whose sole purpose is to show that the Christ will be crucified (by the Jews) so that salvation can come to the Gentiles. 

That is completely insane. The epistles are insane. 

Which brings Mormonism and others to mind. 

I don't see the early churches as anything different to Judaism than Mormonism is to Christianity. One great big heretical venture that could only fool so many. And if Mormonism would have captured the attention of an Empire, it could have gone huge, by force. Even though it's just as patchy against Christianity as Christianity was against Judaism.....