All Services Thread. Tell your stories!

It's late in Memorial Day here where I am, but I spent quite a bit of time today remembering soldiers that died fighting for what they believed in. 

I only personally knew one that died in war, and that was in 'Nam. I met him once when I was thirteen or so.

My older sister and her friend Debbie took a trip "up north" to visit a town where we had lived a few years before on the shore of Lake Michigan.

On the way back, they ran out of gas in the middle of an intersection about 60 miles from home, and didn't have any money left to buy any. So much for thinking ahead. Back then in the late sixties, of course no one had a cellphone.

Along came two soldiers, friends and traveling together on leave, one in the Air Force and one in the Army. They pushed my sisters Cadillac (my step-dad bought it for her as a birthday present, so don't go thinking we were rich. It cost him something like fifty bucks because at the time it was old, a 1958) out of the intersection and to a corner gas station, and bought them enough gas to get home.

My sister and her friend invited them to follow them home, it being the late sixties, so they did.

Turned out that they were decent enough guys despite being young and no doubt randy as Hell. Mom and step-dad invited them to spend the night sleeping in the living room, but we all stayed up half the night with them talking about Vietnam and their respective growing up in the small Michigan town where they met.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the Army guy eventually became my brother in law and I spent three wonderful summers in Colorado and in Alabama with him and my sister on Army bases (Carson, McClellan, and  Rucker).

My  BIL had served two terms in Vietnam, and his buddy the Airman went back for a third term and never came home. KIA. 

I don't even recall his name now much to my shame (although my sister could tell me) but then again I only met him that one time and it was almost fifty years ago. He was a drummer. He was a good guy. He had a good sense of humor (I remember that!)  and he was only at my house for one mostly sleepless night telling stories and relating adventures. 

So I'm remembering him this Memorial Day.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The truth is that the Coast Guard is no walk in the park either.  They have some pretty crappy & dangerous duty assignments in some   really unpleasant locations. They are called on to make some p

Many years ago whilst serving as an OR in the Australian Army Reserves, I got myself attached to a regular Battalion's Support Company for the purpose of a large military exercise, to be held in Shoal

Typing. Yup. In high school I got stuck taking Geometry II right after lunch, which is my nap time. So I had to re-take it in summer school. But in summer school we were required to take two classes a

Yes, we remember them all. If any of you ever get a chance to go to DC, be sure to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. Engraved on the black granite slabs are 58318 names. Standing there facing all those names, in the silence that everyone maintains, the emotion that comes over you is a mixture of sorrow and respect. Sorrow that so many lives were ended in this way, and respect that these men and women did what they were called to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"So it is true then, that everything in Australia is trying to kill you?" (Duderonomy)

No, mostly only the things you step on. And that's only fair, you wouldn't like it if I stepped on you. 😛

Casey

• Haha 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.