Goodbye Jesus

The Difference Between the Church and Denominations

ironhorse

The Church is not a building but consists of all believers in Christ. A building or place these Christians meet is where the Church gathers to meet.

These buildings were once called the Meeting House or Meeting Place.

Attending these gatherings does not make one a Christian. Only by repentance and acceptance of Christ is a person baptized into the body of Christ, the Church. Believers are not perfect but are being made perfect by Christ. The Perfection will come when Christ gathers the Church at His return.  Believers are not perfect (still sinners) but will be made perfect at the return of Christ’s return.

So, the Church is the Catholic (universal) body of believers in Christ.

Since the Reformation believers have created various denominations. Most of them keep the scriptural view of the scriptures, Christ, and salvation. They are distinct in various minor doctrines and  cultural, or social preferences.

A denomination is in error if they push ahead a distinction in front the Gospel of Christ, ether intentionally or not.

So, I agree that there are minor issues that do indeed cloud the message of Christ and do actually harm to some believers and those considering the Christian faith.

I am a member of a small Baptist Church, but I am a part of the universal (Catholic) worldwide body of believers (living or now passed) of various denominations.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I miss BAA just disecting this silliness and IH refusing to answer the tough questions and explain the biblical contradictions brought up by BAA and others. 

Good times those. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bah. You know what? I was going to do a little dissecting myself, piece by piece, but this is such elementary-school bullshit that I can't be bothered.

This person has no credentials from his own "church", let alone from any serious academic institution, that would lend even the slightest credibility to the "yess, masster" sycophantic nature of his babbling. He's spouting what he's been told; these are things he needs to believe about himself and the world in order for life to make some kind of sense.

Unfortunately, his nonsense is so internally inconsistent that it never works to convert anyone except those who already need to believe in magical sky daddies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, once again Ironhorse you grace us with your opinion.  Most of us have been to church and were taught very similar dogma so we have seen it before.

Just a few quick thoughts:

1.  All Christians are one family, (except for the sects that you personally consider to be fake Christians).  The reality of it is that Christianity is a cultural movement that is too vast to fit your definition.  Yes the sects you don't like and who's dogma you reject are just as legitimate as your favorite Christians.  Mormons, JW and SDA are Christian.  The Crusaders were Christian.  The WBC are Christian.

2.  Believers are being perfected through the magic powers of your invisible friend (except it doesn't count when they don't make any progress or "supposed" Christians get caught committing horrendous crimes).  If you only count the success that is cherry picking.  Furthermore, people can and do improve themselves even when they are part of a different religion or even have no religion at all so they don't need your god.  Also Christian theology has serious moral problems since the Bible endorses thought crime, eternal punishment, completely rejects the concept of sexual consent and so on.

3.  Christianity was splitting into denominations and sects from the very beginning.  Religion is very subjective and Christian sects were constantly competing against each other.  The reformation didn't change that.  You can find the writings of Paul complaining about early Christian divisions.

4.  If by the "Gospel of Christ" you mean the Bible then you have a problem because the Catholic church created the Bible by rejecting the scriptures that didn't fit their teachings while adopting the writings that did.  There was much more additional material to choose from.  And people have been re-writing the Bible ever since with new translations and new interpretations.  The Gospel of Christ is whatever people want it to be.

5.  Finally the Universal Church has declared that your Baptist Church are heretics, not that any of this silliness matters.   

I'm sure you will not address any of these issues, as usual.  But thanks for sharing your opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So catholic means a "wide variety of things".. like "I'm a catholic bondage practitioner. I like a variety of BDSM things." Or I'm a catholic spot smoker. I not only like the sativa strains but also the indicas.

If I wanted to unite the Pentecostal denominations I could start a catholic Pentecostal movement. I could be a catholic Baptist too, perhaps. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mymistake said:

Ah, once again Ironhorse you grace us with your opinion.  Most of us have been to church and were taught very similar dogma so we have seen it before.

Just a few quick thoughts:

1.  All Christians are one family, (except for the sects that you personally consider to be fake Christians).  The reality of it is that Christianity is a cultural movement that is too vast to fit your definition.  Yes the sects you don't like and who's dogma you reject are just as legitimate as your favorite Christians.  Mormons, JW and SDA are Christian.  The Crusaders were Christian.  The WBC are Christian.

If Mormons are baptized, they could be called Baptist Mormons. Same for Baptist Jehovah's Witnesses. Baptist just means 'a person who baptizes someone.' And if we pull together all Baptist Mormons in an all-embracing way, that would make them Catholic Baptist Mormons. So says the dictionary. :)

IH should use these phrases (Catholic Baptist Mormons) in his small church to unify all believers in Christ!

• Like 2

I, myself, just happen to be a catholic Oreo connoisseur.  Small world.  Did you know you can improve almost any salad by adding Oreos?  So divine!

2 hours ago, ironhorse said:

The Church is not a building but consists of all believers in Christ. A building or place these Christians meet is where the Church gathers to meet.

Attending these gatherings does not make one a Christian. Only by repentance and acceptance of Christ is a person baptized into the body of Christ, the Church. Believers are not perfect but are being made perfect by Christ. The Perfection will come when Christ gathers the Church at His return.  Believers are not perfect (still sinners) but will be made perfect at the return of Christ’s return.

Since the Reformation believers have created various denominations. Most of them keep the scriptural view of the scriptures, Christ, and salvation. They are distinct in various minor doctrines and  cultural, or social preferences.

A denomination is in error if they push ahead a distinction in front the Gospel of Christ, ether intentionally or not.

So, I agree that there are minor issues that do indeed cloud the message of Christ and do actually harm to some believers and those considering the Christian faith.

I am a member of a small Baptist Church, but I am a part of the universal (Catholic) worldwide body of believers (living or now passed) of various denominations.

It's all cool, even though Christianity and all religions, God, gods, heaven and hell are all 100% BS, no different from the Greek gods of yore. fyi :  the way you have used the word Catholic should not be capitalized. The word Catholic capitalized refers to the Catholic church only. The word "catholic" can be used as you did, to refer to the entire body of Christian religions.

But congrats on your location "in a glass bottle of Cheerwine." Wine is a good way "to lift your spirits" and to commune vis-a-vis a great indulgence in the blood of Christ, the fondest form of bloodthirst.

• Super Moderator
4 minutes ago, pantheory said:

But congrats on your location "in a glass bottle of Cheerwine." Wine is a good way "to lift your spirits" and to commune vis-a-vis a great indulgence in the blood of Christ, the fondest form of bloodthirst.

I'm not saying Cheerwine doesn't taste good.  But it's soda.  Fake wine.   :HaHa::lmao:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7GNA13whFwCnrlZd4vlL

1 minute ago, buffettphan said:

I'm not saying Cheerwine doesn't taste good.  But it's soda.  Fake wine.   :HaHa::lmao:

Not when Priests and Ministers drink it.

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
1 minute ago, pantheory said:

Not when Priests and Ministers drink it.

Oh you're right....Silly me.  I forgot to take into account the "Miracle Factor"     :HaHa:

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, ironhorse said:

Most of them keep the scriptural view of the scriptures,

Image result for circle

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Image result for circle

Pardon my density, but I don't get it. A tilted perspective? Maybe the ratio above being PI, as in pie in the sky? Of, or related to writings, drawings? Adding 3.14 times more interpretations to what was written? Big "C" as in Christianity?

• Super Moderator

Pardon my density, but I don't get it. A tilted perspective? Maybe the ratio above being PI, as in pie in the sky? Of, or related to writings, drawings? Adding 3.14 times more interpretations to what was written?

No.  Just a circle.  As in keeping the scriptural view of the scriptures.

Cheerwine = Fake spirit that makes some people feel temporarily better, although it is not a healthy thing to partake of overall, and it may cause bad outcomes if relied upon too often. 

Hmmm. Im seeing a pattern here with IH’s choices

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

No.  Just a circle.  As in keeping the scriptural view of the scriptures.

Isn't that a good thing. Since it is all BS anyway why value misinterpretations of it so that it sounds better?

• Super Moderator

Isn't that a good thing. Since it is all BS anyway why value misinterpretations so that it sounds good?

What?

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Cheerwine = Fake spirit that makes some people feel temporarily better, although it is not a healthy thing to partake of overall, and is may cause bad outcomes if relied upon too often. 

Hmmm. Im seeing a pattern here with IH’s choices

You are dead to me!!!

5 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

You are dead to me!!!

Lol

• Haha 1

Actually, the word "church" has several definitions.  What's funny is that Tin Pony decided to start a thread about one of those definitions as a cover to preach his religious dogma.

Definition of church (Merriam-Webster)

1a building for public and especially Christian worship 
2the clergy or officialdom of a religious body 
  • the word church … is put for the persons that are ordained for the ministry of the Gospel, that is to say, the clergy
  •  —J. Ayliffe
3often capitalized  a body or organization of religious believers: such as 
a the whole body of Christians 
  • the one church is the whole body gathered together from all ages
  •  —J. H. Newman
b denomination 
  • the Presbyterian church
c congregation
  • they had appointed elders for them in every church
  • —Acts 14:23 (Revised Standard Version)
4a public divine worship  
  • goes to church every Sunday
5the clerical profession  
  • considered the church as a possible career

Keeping in line with my previous thoughts, if Christians are being moved towards a finished state in God, then a path off the beaten path would almost seem intentional to achieve the end goal God had in mind.  In other words, I'm taking you over here to learn this lesson of why you should not be over here...

39 minutes ago, end3 said:

Keeping in line with my previous thoughts, if Christians are being moved towards a finished state in God, then a path off the beaten path would almost seem intentional to achieve the end goal God had in mind.  In other words, I'm taking you over here to learn this lesson of why you should not be over here...

In other words, God has taken you off the beaten path, to ExChristian.net, to learn the lessons why you should not be here? or have I got it wrong?

Addendum: 

Most all Christians in this forum, like yourself, have good intentions IMO, but our intentions are for you to see the real light, not the delusion which you think is the light -- that Christianity in any and all of its forms, is pure BS concerning its validity. My immortal soul against a six pack on that bet, but not less than a six pack since I need to hedge my bet.

3 hours ago, ironhorse said:

That stuff is right out of the Church of Christ handbook. As far as logic goes, they make a good argument. They ignore the fact the bible is literature not history and that's a pretty big deal, because it means the stories in the Bible are exactly that, ....Stories. Fictional stories with fictional characters. If not for Constantine the Bible and the Christian faith likely would not exist today. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pantheory said:

In other words, God has taken you off the beaten path, to ExChristian.net, to learn the lessons why you should not be here? or have I got it wrong?

Addendum: 

Most all Christians in this forum, like yourself, have good intentions IMO, but our intentions are for you to see the real light, not the delusion which you think is the light -- that Christianity in any and all of its forms, is pure BS concerning its validity. My immortal soul against a six pack on that bet, but not less than a six pack since I need to hedge my bet.

I believe the steps are goodness, then knowledge, then self control, then godliness, and love after that.  Perhaps ExC is the part of the knowledge step....

Going to wait it out in faith P, no other real choices for me....but will buy us a six pack while we wait...

• Super Moderator

As I recall, the Bible says that the church is comprised of all who believe in Christ. Those people are also called saints, not to be confused with those labeled "saint" by the RCC.

Such believers are all ostensibly led and guided by the Holy Spirit. Oddly, they get differing messages. Some denominations do not consider other denominations to be legitimate Christians.

There seems to be no reasonable explanation for this.