Goodbye Jesus

Free will and responsibility

Richard

As I've become an atheist, I've come to realize that free will (at least in the traditional sense) isn't possible. However, I don't want to lose the feeling of responsibility, and I feel it would be bad for the world if we did. Even if people couldn't chose to do otherwise, I can't help but get angry at mass murderers, and other criminals. And a lack of free will certainly doesn't make me feel any less guilty about things I've done in the past. I feel that things like shame, guilt, and anger are ways to stop people from acting out in terrible ways, but I just feel so confused now. If anyone has any opinions on the subject, I would like to know.

I would stop using the word "free".  Will certainly exists.  And it seems entirely appropriated to hold bad actors responsible for the harm they willingly choose to inflict on others.  The trouble arrises when religious apologists use the phrase "free will" to indicate that the alleged God with all the power and complete control over everything in the entire cosmos somehow has no responsibility for any outcome.  God knew this would all happen before he created us yet you sent yourself to hell by not having the power to change anything.

Free will is a myth.

Not sure if I missed some philosophy that led you to your conclusion. Are you implying that we don't choose, or are somehow on autopilot going through predetermined motions?

I can't really respond without knowing what you mean, and there are too many things I could try guessing.

1 hour ago, TrueScotsman said:

We are not utterly deterministic, one has to conceive of the brain as something that has plasticity and is changed by inputs whether they by emotional, behavioral or social, etc.  This means that we can use science to hack our brains by figuring out what works to actually change the neurophysiology of our brains in beneficial ways.  The best way to improve your "free will" sense as an atheist, is to increase awareness through mindfulness meditation which has been demonstrated to increase neural density in the anterior cingulate which is responsible for your conscious attention.  Better moderating your attention and strategically working with yourself to figure out what kind of rewards you need, what kinds of boundaries you need and what kind of diet and exercise you need is truly important.  Often times we are just responding to our bodies, when we get angry, we are getting angry at the response stimulated by our sensory organs in response to say an emotional or social stimuli and we respond to the physical sensation.  If you really pay attention when you're angry, you can notice this, though it is very difficult to have awareness when you're angry or in distressed mental states.  Also, when people often come out of Christianity they can experience depression which can cause you to feel a lack of willpower due to the lower levels of Serotonin in the brain, and this can be mistaken for believing that a loss of Free Will is effecting you behaviorally.  One's will is usually an element of their personality type and mood disposition, so each person has to know what limitations they have and to figure out uniquely how to discipline themselves to produce the desired behavior and emotional health that they want upon reflection.  

This is a really interesting post. It irks me how much I am at the mercy of my emotions and sometimes my reactions. Lately I've found myself wondering if there's any way to change this, or is it just my personality, and that's that. Do you have any further links on this mindfulness meditation and neural density thing? I"m just curious.

Life is like sailing a ship through a storm. At the wheel you do have some determination of your direction, but are ultimately at the mercy of the winds and waves around you.

You do have free will, but it has a limited impact on your life and surroundings.

xfwgftw98ee01.jpg

• Like 1