Goodbye Jesus

Enough is enough

quinntar

I used to take Jesus at his word, when I was used by other people. 

He commands his believers to turn the other cheek, and to be spitefully used. But this way of thinking has caused me untold grief, not to mention putting me into financial hardship and going hungry from time to time.

I still retain that mindset that I should give to anyone who asks, and not turn them away as Jesus said. But these idea's of his has lead me into being used, abused, and manipulated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theanticrash said:

I used to take Jesus at his word, when I was used by other people. 

He commands his believers to turn the other cheek, and to be spitefully used. But this way of thinking has caused me untold grief, not to mention putting me into financial hardship and going hungry from time to time.

I still retain that mindset that I should give to anyone who asks, and not turn them away as Jesus said. But these idea's of his has lead me into being used, abused, and manipulated.

Well, I certainly understand what you are saying here. The ole', ''Do unto others as you would have them do for you''. What a joke.  If one gets taken in by this (especially the real soft-hearted sucker) you can lose a lot of things including your sanity trying to live up to this. Now, don't get me wrong. It's still great to be there for your friends or lend a little money to those you know can pay it back. (or to those who will appreciate it even if you give it to them) Helping to take care of those who want to change is not so bad but those who just take advantage of your good heart, I've personally said a silent 'goodbye' to them. It sure takes a huge load of responsibility off one's shoulders when we learn how to take care of ourselves first and then lend a helping hand to those who you know are appreciating you. I like being a little cold-hearted now.

• Like 2

Once a person accepts the reality that the Bible is literature not history all the problems with the Bible & Christianity disappear. As soon as a person realizes and accepts the Bible is a collection of fictional stories with fictional characters the fear goes away too.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Margee said:

Well, I certainly understand what you are saying here. The ole', ''Do unto others as you would have them do for you''. What a joke.  If one gets taken in by this (especially the real soft-hearted sucker) you can lose a lot of things including your sanity trying to live up to this. Now, don't get me wrong. It's still great to be there for your friends or lend a little money to those you know can pay it back. (or to those who will appreciate it even if you give it to them) Helping to take care of those who want to change is not so bad but those who just take advantage of your good heart, I've personally said a silent 'goodbye' to them. It sure takes a huge load of responsibility off one's shoulders when we learn how to take care of ourselves first and then lend a helping hand to those who you know are appreciating you. I like being a little cold-hearted now.

Do to others as you would like them to do to you doesn't really work. I've stretched my neck out so many times for people, they don't end up treating me the same. But It's not just about lending money to people.

Recently I became involved with a person who sucked up all of my spare time, because he was bored. Those old religious feeling's came back to haunt me, and I started being all Christ like with my time and money.

He saw a easy target, and milked me for a month or more, I had no option but to walk away. However the guilt and self blame started to creep back, and I felt like I'd ditched a baby in a trash can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

Once a person accepts the reality that the Bible is literature not history all the problems with the Bible & Christianity disappear. As soon as a person realizes and accepts the Bible is a collection of fictional stories with fictional characters the fear goes away too.

Biblical wisdom is a dangerous thing.

• Thanks 1

Remember, the cabin attendant in the airplane always says put your oxygen mask on first, then help the person next to you if needed.

There is a difference between treating people decently and with some respect and helping them with things they should do for themselves. Margee points out above that some people will take advantage; they are professional mooches. They'll suck you dry. Some of them are quite skilled at their craft but if you look carefully, frequently red flags can be seen.

For example, our local newspaper ran an editorial suggesting that folks not give money to the panhandlers on the street corners. By doing so, they wrote, it just encourages the behavior. Better to donate to the social services that are set up to help.

• Like 1

A lot of Christians think that suffering in this life will be rewarded in the next.

Thus, suffering becomes divine and noble. It becomes a desirable trait and leads to a sort of masochistic cycle.

As a general rule, the golden rule is good advice.

However, I prefer the Bill and Ted version...

3b452386c02f6e9c879d3519e54f6de482b94442

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 12:59 PM, ContraBardus said:

A lot of Christians think that suffering in this life will be rewarded in the next.

Thus, suffering becomes divine and noble. It becomes a desirable trait and leads to a sort of masochistic cycle.

As a general rule, the golden rule is good advice.

However, I prefer the Bill and Ted version...

3b452386c02f6e9c879d3519e54f6de482b94442

Yeah!