Sign in to follow this  
ContraBardus

Good news everyone, child marriage is now illegal in Florida!

A woman who was forced to marry her rapist at 11 leads the charge on legislation that bans child marriage in Florida.

The asshole raped her at nine, she was pregnant at 10, and married him a year later. Of fucking course he was a Christian religious figure. This was in 1970. Also, the marriage was approved by a judge. I wonder if he paid her family 50 shekels of silver?

Reminder: there are still 24 states that do not have minimum age requirements for marriage in the US. Most of these states require a judge's approval for weddings involving minors. However, it still sometimes happens...

Wait, did I say "sometimes"? I meant it happens all the fucking time. Between 2005 and 2015, well over 200,000 minors were married in the US.

Several other states do have minimum age requirements, but in some it is as low as 13.

Sometimes I think this is the hero we deserve...

The-Punisher.jpg

Or the hero we need depending on one's perspective...

So I am guessing that is one down and twelve to go.

The hell? I thought it was illegal in most states to have sex with a minor (under 16) Sure it leads from that that marriage to a person under 16 is also illegal? Its all to do with maturity and age of consent and being of a sound mind to think this stuff through?

In NZ the legal age is 16, but for 16 and 17 year olds they need parental consent. Under that no marrying allowed!

In some ways, America the Great is so far behind other first world countries its not funny.

I read something similar a few years back when a 4-year-old girl was married of with her parent's consent.  Once it made headlines the state quickly moved in and made child marriage illegal.  It's a relic of the past and the only reason most of these laws are allowed to exist is because lawmakers forgot they were there.  Even when they come to light no one took them seriously until it was too late.  Definitely time to clean house.  With prejudice.

From what I have read, Mohammad married the daughter of a rival when she was 9 years old. According to writings, she openly supported the marriage at her tender age. The primary purpose of the marriage was to shore up relations between each other's groups. Historically the marrying of daughters has been an accepted practice between influential and monied families. According to the traditions of the times, Mohammad could not have intercourse with the girl until she reached the age of puberty, which according to the girl's  testimonies, Mohammad followed. After Mohammad's death she retained a high position amongst his followers, unusual for women of the times.

In the 12th and 13th centuries, king John of England married 12 year old Isabella, duchess of France. She had been engaged to someone else before this marriage. The marriage was with her own encouragement and parental consent. She was to be the king's second wife, afterward called the queen consort. She had many children by him. After the death of the first wife, and after the king's own death, Isabella, still in her early 20's, had her 9 year old son crowned king of England. Soon thereafter she returned to France alone to manage her inheritance there leaving regents in charge of the young king's future. With her financial support the new king managed to retain the English crown until his death by natural causes when in his 60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Angoulême

53 minutes ago, pantheory said:

From what I have read, Mohammad married the daughter of a rival when she was 9 years old. According to writings, she openly supported the marriage at her tender age. The primary purpose of the marriage was to shore up relations between each other's groups. Historically the marrying of daughters has been an accepted practice between influential and monied families. According to the traditions of the times, Mohammad could not have intercourse with her until she had reached the age of puberty, which according to the girl's  testimonies, Mohammad followed. After Mohammad's death she retained a high position amongst his followers, unusual for women of the times.

In the 12th and 13th centuries, king John of England married 12 year old Isabella, duchess of France. She had been engaged to someone else before this marriage. The marriage was with her own encouragement and the consent of both of her parents. She was to be the king's second wife, afterward called the queen consort. She had many children by him. After the death of the first wife, and after the king's own death, Isabella, then in her early 20's, had her 9 year old son crowned king of England. Soon thereafter she returned to France alone to manage her inheritance there, leaving regents in charge of the young king's future. With her financial support the new king managed to retain the English crown until his death by natural causes when in his 60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Angoulême

The primary question here is whether a 9 or 12 year old is fully able to comprehend and consent to such an arrangement. We see children of similar ages these days sometimes wanting to run away with older men but we don't allow it because we understand they are not old enough to make an informed decision.

22 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The primary question here is whether a 9 or 12 year old is fully able to comprehend and consent to such an arrangement. We see children of similar ages these days sometimes wanting to run away with older men but we don't allow it because we understand they are not old enough to make an informed decision.

Yes, they may consent, even encourage in some cases, but can the girls really comprehend what is involved, and will they benefit from such a relationship from the start. As you pointed out, that is the issue. The issue becomes more confusing if the girl is pregnant.  I'm sure such full comprehension is rare and is a major reason why marriage at such young ages has become illegal in most parts of the western world.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.