Burnedout

Meditation DOESN'T make you a calmer person

Meditation DOESN'T make you a calmer person: Buddhist practice leaves people just as aggressive and prejudiced, reveals study

'If every eight-year-old in the world is taught meditation, the world will be without violence within one generation,' the Dalai Lama claims.

But it appears the respected monk could be wrong.

For scientists have revealed the trendy Buddhist practice does not make you more compassionate, less aggressive or prejudiced. [Snipped]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5354519/Meditation-DOESNT-make-better-person.html

I cannot say if the study is correct or not, but from myown observation, I can conclude that smoking a bowl or a joint once in awhile does leave you very mellow, laid back, and hungry.  :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

Smoking a bowl is a good thing.

• Like 2

Why would it?

Meditation can have some benefits as it's basically just creating conditions that are optimal for focused attention and thinking, but mood changes?

I'm of a mind that the spiritual side of it is garbage, but have used it to focus my thoughts on a problem, study, or to pay attention to my body to identify tense areas and help me work on relaxing them.

• Like 1

Meditation helps me with anxiety. Does it change who I am? Of course not. Does it "make me a better person?"- that's just absurd, but this headline was taken from the Daily Mail, so....

• Like 2

Who is meditating, how they meditate and why they meditate are relevant questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Smoking a bowl or having a stiff drink can do the same, and it doesn't take as long.  Besides, it's more fun!:D

• Like 1

I believe the Dalai Lama.  If everyone in the world did things exactly like he did, for all the same reasons, then things would be just fine.  But if they did those things for any other reason then it just wouldn't work.  Just like anything.  Just like any "religion" or way of life.  If everyone simply did it the same way, for the same reason, and wanted to do it that way then all would be good.  Life doesn't work that way though.

mwc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I echo Florduh. There are lots of kinds of meditation. It is useful to take the mind off of worry and focus intently on something else. I've found that this helps my mind to more efficiently process some things that are otherwise obscured by emotional impact.

There are small meditations done in a situation for the purpose of not taking emotional bait and doing something stupid. There are visual meditations done to help relax muscles. There are involved meditations done to take the mind somewhere for religious reasons.

Underlying all of these is a choice to try and do something other than react or dwell on things that are upsetting. That would tend to make one calmer.

Weed and can be helpful also, but can't be used at work or driving. I use small meditations during both with the purpose of keeping my cool and my job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love meditating and I do it every day. It definitely helps me to ground myself and breathe easier. I concentrate on becoming more patient, understanding, caring and more calm to face any problems. I am practicing letting go of a lot of worries and fears right now so it really helps me. I was once hypnotized by a very famous hypnotist to the song below and he told me that for the rest of my life, as soon as I heard this beautiful piece by Beethoven, I would relax.... and I do! This is just one of my favorite meditation music pieces.

My mom was a piano player and I used to get her to play this for me all the time.

Add a little 'puff' and I'm off in La-la land for awhile!

• Like 2

This reminds me of something Martin Luther once quipped: "If ever monk could have got to heaven by his monkery, then I would have made it!" It doesn't matter what kind of monk you are, if your heart isn't in whatever it is that you do.

Casey