Goodbye Jesus

Space-X Falcon Heavy Launch livestream.

ContraBardus

As of this post it's been delayed and currently set to happen at around 3:45 Eastern.

I'm hoping for a successful launch, but it will be cool to see either way.

Can be seen here:

• Like 1

Stream is now live, launch in about 15 minutes as of this post assuming they don't abort at the last minute. If they do, they have another launch possibility tomorrow.

Well, I just watched Elon Musk launch his car into space and to Mars using the largest and most powerful private rocket ever build. Only the Saturn V was more powerful.

Have to wonder what that vehicle will be worth if it makes it back intact.

Then he landed two of the boosters 1950s sci-fi style.

They lost the feed on the third booster's landing platform. It isn't shown in the video, waiting on confirmation of that via twitter.

EDIT: The third booster ran low on relight fuel, so only one of the three engines started and couldn't bring it in for a landing. It apparently hit the ocean at about 300 mph about 100 yards from the platform unfortunately. So, two out of three isn't bad considering the circumstances and that this was a proof of concept test flight, and it's a correctable problem.

That was awesome, and a game changer for space exploration in general, regardless of whether the third booster landing was successful or not.

No word on the center core landing. Probably lost it I'd assume.

Live view of "Starman". If you're not seeing him or the car, it's been switching between several camera angles, including one towards the rear of the craft showing the engines.

Though it can't be heard because it's in space, the car is playing David Bowe's Space Oddity in a constant loop. The launch video also closes with Bowe's Life on Mars.

They've seated the Dragon Spacesuit to test it in the seat of the car they're sending to Mars, and the craft has several live view camera on it. Not sure how long the feed will last, but I doubt it will film all the way to Mars.

That said, some of this footage will no doubt be used to promote Tesla's cars.

There's earth - they've put that car into trajectory away from earth by  the looks of it. Reminds me of a great quote from Carl Sagan:

dace3ce11d6971e90619a5fd94c51596--pale-b

Just to add some entertainment value - Flat Earthers have added SpaceX to their "not trusted" list.

https://www.livescience.com/61688-flat-earthers-spacex-falcon-heavy-conspiracy.html?utm_source=notification

They're on my "not trusted" list too.  I was in Florida waiting for them to launch for a little over two weeks but nothing.  I even caught the flu while I was there.  These things can't be coincidence.  And as soon as I had to leave the thing "launches?"  Sure it did.  They waited until I couldn't see it in person then staged it.  Sad.

At least NASA had the guts to launch while I was there.  All I've ever seen from Space-X was a poor little rocket sitting on a pad.  They just never launch while I'm there which means they never launch.

On a positive note I have verified that Harry Potter exists at Universal Studios.  I've tasted the Butterbeer and witnessed the magic first hand.  It's all good there.  Turns out Minions are real too.

mwc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mwc said:

They're on my "not trusted" list too.  I was in Florida waiting for them to launch for a little over two weeks but nothing.  I even caught the flu while I was there.  These things can't be coincidence.  And as soon as I had to leave the thing "launches?"  Sure it did.  They waited until I couldn't see it in person then staged it.  Sad.

At least NASA had the guts to launch while I was there.  All I've ever seen from Space-X was a poor little rocket sitting on a pad.  They just never launch while I'm there which means they never launch.

On a positive note I have verified that Harry Potter exists at Universal Studios.  I've tasted the Butterbeer and witnessed the magic first hand.  It's all good there.  Turns out Minions are real too.

mwc

Let me guess - just tacking more stuff on that you don't see? 

Not sure if you noticed but there are videos above showing the entire process - and with such poor quality at times we can be sure its not CGI.

(PS I agree with the last line - Minions are in New Zealand... I've seen them.... shhhhhhhh)

8 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Let me guess - just tacking more stuff on that you don't see? 

Not sure if you noticed but there are videos above showing the entire process - and with such poor quality at times we can be sure its not CGI.

Video shmideo.  Have you seen all the movies Nicolas Cage is in lately?  He's showing up in everything.  So either he was always in those movies or he's somehow getting into those movies.  Either way we can't trust that sort of thing.

More importantly, I spent two damn weeks in Florida, one with the flu, and didn't get to see anything.  Have you ever been in Florida with the flu?  If it's not a conspiracy it's certainly punishment for something.  Almost every time I go to that state I wind up sick.  It must be a conspiracy.

8 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

(PS I agree with the last line - Minions are in New Zealand... I've seen them.... shhhhhhhh)

There you go about your "New Zealand" again.  I saw the Minions in Florida.  At Universal Studios.  Not some fabled "New Zealand."  And I looked out the airplane window and didn't see any New Zealand.  We were up nice and high too.  Plenty high to see all over.  I made sure to look at the pictures of what this New Zealand supposedly looks like and saw nothing that matched.  I keep trying but your stories just don't pan out.

I know those Minions exist.  They look just how I thought they would except maybe a bit bigger in person.  Yellow.  That checked out.  I also saw President Trump at The Magic Kingdom.  He gave a bit of a speech.  I know it was him.  He stood there, sort of wiggled around and looked sort of odd.  That all lined up.  He was there with all of our presidents.  How they got them all I have no idea, since I thought most of them were dead, but it was fairly impressive.

mwc

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mwc said:

Video shmideo.  Have you seen all the movies Nicolas Cage is in lately?  He's showing up in everything. 

Not lately... I went off him a few years ago.

1 minute ago, mwc said:

Have you ever been in Florida with the flu?

I've never been to Florida, let alone with the flu. I've been to Turangi in NZ and got the flu. On a holiday too. Very bad.

1 minute ago, mwc said:

And I looked out the airplane window and didn't see any New Zealand.  We were up nice and high too.  Plenty high to see all over.  I made sure to look at the pictures of what this New Zealand supposedly looks like and saw nothing that matched.  I keep trying but your stories just don't pan out.

Um, pretty sure we've discussed this, but depending on your location, even if you were 100's of km above the earth, if you are on the right side you won't see NZ because there are 1000's of miles of rock blocking your view.

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Not lately... I went off him a few years ago.

Well set your eyes on this:

Video shmideo.

I've never been to Florida, let alone with the flu. I've been to Turangi in NZ and got the flu. On a holiday too. Very bad.

You couldn't have.  That place doesn't exist.  You were probably in a place that you were led to believe was this "Turangi" in this fabled "New Zealand," and you simply believed the story, and that's why you think that's what happened.  You were really somewhere else that really exists.  I bet the "flu" you had was some sort of drug that allowed you to accept this story more readily.  Yep.  That's the answer to that.  Problem solved.

Um, pretty sure we've discussed this, but depending on your location, even if you were 100's of km above the earth, if you are on the right side you won't see NZ because there are 1000's of miles of rock blocking your view.

That doesn't sound right.  I was way up there.  Like higher than clouds and stuff.  And I checked both sides not just the right one.  This sounds like it belongs in the video with Nic Cage.

mwc

On 2/6/2018 at 4:05 PM, ContraBardus said:

Then he landed two of the boosters 1950s sci-fi style.

That was the coolest thing to me!

I'm glad the launch went off without a major hitch, and launching a red convertible car into space (although I might get bashed for saying this) is a very 'Murican thing to do, it was watching the two boosters coming down side by side that really impressed me the most.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duderonomy said:

That was the coolest thing to me!

I'm glad the launch went off without a major hitch, and launching a red convertible car into space (although I might get bashed for saying this) is a very 'Murican thing to do, it was watching the two boosters coming down side by side that really impressed me the most.

While he is an American Citizen, Elon Musk is in fact a South African immigrant. He's been a citizen since '95.

I wouldn't call him doing something 'Murican. He's basically the antithesis of the kind of person the meme usage of 'Murican references.

2 minutes ago, ContraBardus said:

While he is an American Citizen, Elon Musk is in fact a South African immigrant. He's been a citizen since '95.

I wouldn't call him doing something 'Murican. He's basically the antithesis of the kind of person the meme usage of 'Murican references.

I'm sorry that I referenced the United States when referring to a citizen of the United States.

I realize that although Musk receives a lot of a money from the U.S. and has a business in the U.S. and builds and sells product in the U.S. and launches his rocket from a platform made in the U.S. what he just did in is no way connected to the United States of America.

I'm looking forward to South Africa topping what I saw yesterday. When do you think that will be happening? 

Jesus, I was trying to be nice and say what I thought about the OT in your thread but you had to come back with this: "I wouldn't call him doing something 'Murican. He's basically the antithesis of the kind of person the meme usage of 'Murican references." 

Uh huh. Alrighty then.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

I'm sorry that I referenced the United States when referring to a citizen of the United States.

I realize that although Musk receives a lot of a money from the U.S. and has a business in the U.S. and builds and sells product in the U.S. and launches his rocket from a platform made in the U.S. what he just did in is no way connected to the United States of America.

I'm looking forward to South Africa topping what I saw yesterday. When do you think that will be happening? 

Jesus, I was trying to be nice and say what I thought about the OT in your thread but you had to come back with this: "I wouldn't call him doing something 'Murican. He's basically the antithesis of the kind of person the meme usage of 'Murican references." 

Uh huh. Alrighty then.

You did predict that you might get bashed for saying it lol

Now if you could predict the stock market with the same accuracy... :P 

23 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Uh huh. Alrighty then.

The term 'Murican implies a certain sort of natural born, hyper nationalistic, conservative, isolationist, and ignorant citizen, and is a bit satirical and derogatory. It is sometimes used as a joke in a somewhat self deprecational manner.

In simple terms, it references the kind of the people who want to build the wall on the border, stop immigration period, think the Bible should be taught in science classes, and ride around on fat scooters complaining about taxes in Walmart while voting for representation that works against their own interests because they have "values" because they name drop Jesus and go on about "traditional" social values and "Freedom" tm in their campaigns, and then get caught cheating on their wives by having gay sex in public restrooms after a long day of voting against the rights of minorities.

In other words, the kind of people who think people just like Elon Musk who aren't rich and famous [and white] should be deported because they "terk er jerbs".

In even simpler terms, Fox News viewers.

Judging from your reply, it seems you are unaware of that.

I was just pointing out that using it in reference to something Musk did doesn't really work because he's an immigrant and basically the exact opposite of the type of citizen that the term 'Murica is used to reference. He's their worst nightmare.

428.jpg

58594034663091873aaf27bed831ddda.jpeg58594034663091873aaf27bed831ddda.jpegmurica2.gif

a1e9dd0af198d3a878a349b217695fa879f39de3

23 hours ago, ContraBardus said:

Judging from your reply, it seems you are unaware of that.

I was unaware of that and now that I know I don't give a shit. I guess 'Murica means different things to different people. 

I just wanted to comment on the launch and stuff and how I was proud that it happened in my country.  I must be one of the bad guys.

16 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

I was unaware of that and now that I know I don't give a shit. I guess 'Murica means different things to different people. 

I just wanted to comment on the launch and stuff and how I was proud that it happened in my country.  I must be one of the bad guys.

You know, I wasn't being an asshole about it. It doesn't mean different things to different people, it's pretty universally used as derogatory. I've never seen anyone use 'murica in a positive context. Sometimes as self deprecation as humor or sarcasm, but never as a positive.

I just figured you didn't know and was just being informative. Using it the way you did could give people the wrong impression and make you look like an ass unintentionally.

Just now, ContraBardus said:

You know, I wasn't trying to be an asshole about it. It doesn't mean different things to different people, it's pretty universally used as derogatory. I've never seen anyone use 'murica in a positive context. Sometimes as self deprecation as humor or sarcasm, but never as a positive.

I just figured you didn't know and was just being informative. Using it the way you were could give people the wrong impression and make you look like an ass unintentionally.

Now you're just being a bitch about it.

I've seen (and heard in person) people use that term in a positive way dozens of times, but ok. We'll go with your experience because it's your thread and you are free to keep shitting all over it. I'm done though.

10 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

I've seen (and heard in person) people use that term in a positive way dozens of times, but ok. We'll go with your experience because it's your thread and you are free to keep shitting all over it. I'm done though.

Quit being a bitch.

You said something stupid without realizing it and have made yourself look like an ass since. Pitching a fit over having someone being nice enough to tell you that it doesn't mean what you think it means so you don't make a fool of yourself later isn't making me out to be the one who looks bad here.

A simple Google search for 'murica will quickly disillusion you that your position is defensible. It's a derogatory term meant to evoke a negative stereotype regarding Americans. It's the same thing as the "America! Fuck Yeah!" song from Team America: World Police condensed into meme form.

16 minutes ago, ContraBardus said:

Quit being a bitch.

You said something stupid without realizing it and have made yourself look like an ass since. Pitching a fit over having someone being nice enough to tell you that it doesn't mean what you think it means so you don't make a fool of yourself later isn't making me out to be the one who looks bad here.

A simple Google search for 'murica will quickly disillusion you that your position is defensible. It's a derogatory term meant to evoke a negative stereotype regarding Americans. It's the same thing as the "America! Fuck Yeah!" song from Team America: World Police condensed into meme form.

Are you trying to be a passive-aggressive asshat here for some reason?  This isn't the sub-forum for a pissing contest and because of that, I'm out.

10 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

Are you trying to be a passive-aggressive asshat here for some reason?  This isn't the sub-forum for a pissing contest and because of that, I'm out.

Says the one who got pissy over nothing to begin with. Right, this is totally my fault and poor innocent you had nothing to do with it. :jerkit:

You're being an ass, and I didn't stop being civil until after you pitched a bitch fit, and even then it took a couple of posts.