MOHO

JESUS Has Inoculated Us

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

On February 6, 2018 at 2:26 PM, MOHO said:

Humor and Satire sounds good since there is no absurd and ridiculously section. Maybe we should have a separate section called crazy stuff fundies say and believe. <_<

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

Humor and Satire sounds good since there is no absurd and ridiculously section. Maybe we should have a separate section called crazy stuff fundies say and belief. ^_^

We'd need a whole new site for that. And a server with 100 terabytes of space.

• Like 3

Reality vs Faith.

Reality wins every time.

If you want to believe god inoculates you rather than taking a real vaccination, then congrats you may be in line for the Darwin award.

• Like 2

Well, shit, the wife and I have had the flu for the last week or so.  Got it on vacation.  I remember saying something like "Oh jesus do I feel like shit," so apparently invoking that magic name didn't work.

mwc

• Haha 1

Just looked over a headline from USA Today that said that 63 kids have died from the flu this season.  They recall all kinds of things like airbags and OTC painkillers for less.  Therefore I vote we call a recall on God until it gets its shit together.  Not that God ever really cared about children, if you do a little light Bible reading.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This week my father fell in the parking lot and broke his arm.  The first thing my mother told me was "Jesus really protected him so he didn't get even more hurt!".  :49:

Why couldn't Jesus have prevented him from falling?  Anyway the doctor said my dad should heal up fine but it will take a while.  At least my parents listen to doctors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mymistake said:

Why couldn't Jesus have prevented him from falling?

That's the one that always riles me. And the answer is usually that we don't deserve ANY mercy so we should be grateful for any. This is after the cross, after faith, after years of devotion, knows what you need before you ask, takes care of the birds of the air, blah blah blah. Whenever reality gives a believer a reality check, they discard it and go with another twist to make it fit belief.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mymistake said:

This week my father fell in the parking lot and broke his arm.  The first thing my mother told me was "Jesus really protected him so he didn't get even more hurt!".  :49:

Why couldn't Jesus have prevented him from falling?  Anyway the doctor said my dad should heal up fine but it will take a while.  At least my parents listen to doctors.

Jesus probably put out his hands to try to catch him but he slipped through one of those pesky nail holes.  Your dad is lucky jesus caught him at all.

mwc

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/9/2018 at 6:00 PM, mymistake said:

This - praising god/Jesus etc  because the accident was not worse, or that the victim healed at some point, - concept is one of those things that suggests that the religious may not necessarily believe the doctrine. The say crap like this regularly in an attempt to bolster their faith. 

• Like 2

Re. flu shots, my daughter, sadly, is a fundy. When I asked her about getting a flu shot she said, "I'm not putting that junk in my body." She has a 4-year degree. Money wasted?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, older said:

Re. flu shots, my daughter, sadly, is a fundy. When I asked her about getting a flu shot she said, "I'm not putting that junk in my body." She has a 4-year degree. Money wasted?

In regards to flu shots, I think on the whole for a healthy person its unnecessary. Not sure what her reason is but I think the medical profession is pushing vaccines to sectors of the public that don't really need it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

In regards to flu shots, I think on the whole for a healthy person its unnecessary. Not sure what her reason is but I think the medical profession is pushing vaccines to sectors of the public that don't really need it.

I respectfully disagree. Here in America there are numerous reported cases of otherwise healthy people dying from the flu including young, strong, athletic people. There is also the concept of "herd immunity," wherein by having everyone vaccinated, the spread of the disease to those who are more susceptible is controlled. Also, the news tonight reported that someone can be contagious before they notice symptoms, thus this person can be wandering out in public spreading the disease to those who would suffer more from it.

On a personal level, I have a severely compromised immune system. Even though I have had a flu shot, a bad case of the flu could kill me. So my daughter's stubbornness puts me at risk, which, IMHO, is an extraordinarily selfish position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The problem with flu shots is that they have to make them before the flu season and so they guess as to which strain(s) will be the one to go around.  It's real hit and miss.  If you get the shot you can still get the flu but some other strain.  So if they guess wrong, which seems to be the case this year, the flu just goes wild and people think the shots are totally useless.  Even if they guess correctly and you get a different strain, or just a cold, people think it's useless.  It's almost a lose-lose for the shots.  It's hard to get people to find value in something if they can't tell if the shot actually did anything or not.  Sadly, it's not religion otherwise they'd line up for the things but it's science so it needs to work in a definitive fashion.

mwc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, older said:

I respectfully disagree. Here in America there are numerous reported cases of otherwise healthy people dying from the flu including young, strong, athletic people. There is also the concept of "herd immunity," wherein by having everyone vaccinated, the spread of the disease to those who are more susceptible is controlled. Also, the news tonight reported that someone can be contagious before they notice symptoms, thus this person can be wandering out in public spreading the disease to those who would suffer more from it.

On a personal level, I have a severely compromised immune system. Even though I have had a flu shot, a bad case of the flu could kill me. So my daughter's stubbornness puts me at risk, which, IMHO, is an extraordinarily selfish position.

Hi Older, on your personal level, yes I do recommend people with compromised immunity or elderly people get a flu vac. However as mwc points out it is rather hit and miss and there are numerous cases of vaccinated people get the flu very bad, even dying. I certainly think people saying that Jesus will help them or family in this day and age is irresponsible. Most people know deep down that prayers work as good (or bad) as random chance.  

Certainly influenza kills across the board, but there is increasing mortality with age https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1741-7015-10-162 The issue I see with the herd immunity argument, is unlike say smallpox, measles, mumps or polio, influenza has many strains and evolves very fast. New strains come out each year and any vac only gives limited protection from a few particular strains. Thus vaccinating the whole population, for which most do not die from the flu, I personally think is unnecessary. You might still respectfully disagree, and of course I respect your right to do so :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always get my flu shot every year.  I'm not afraid of dying.  I just hate being sick.  If the shot can protect me from a few hundred flu strains then I will take that.  I understand that the virus evolves very quickly and some other strain might get me during the year.  But I have been consistently less sick in years I get the shot.   

• Like 1

Some strains of the flu can be fatal even to healthy young people so it makes sense for those with compromised immune systems and the elderly to get the shot even if it's hit or miss with whether it will be effective in a given year. I have taken it myself as I've noticed I don't get sick nearly as often when I do get it, and dealing with flu-induced asthma can be quite a headache. What is just beyond the ridiculous is the "Jesus will protect us" syndrome and alternate reality that some Christians live in. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 9:15 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

The last time I got a flu shot, I was down for a week with flu symptoms.  I decided to not ever get a flu shot again.  The shot was as bad as the flu itself.  FUCK IT!  

11 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

The last time I got a flu shot, I was down for a week with flu symptoms.  I decided to not ever get a flu shot again.  The shot was as bad as the flu itself.  FUCK IT!  

That happens quite a bit, hence my argument against mass vaccination in this particular case unless the upside outweighs the negatives.

I got the flu shot last year.  Never got sick.  Didn't get it this year and wound up with the flu.  Coincidence?  Most likely.  Makes for a good anecdote which is worthless.  So I'll probably get it next year.  Not because I think missing it this year caused me to get sick, I don't since I think I got a strain that wasn't in the shot anyhow, but because it's a freebie with the health plan I've got.  I would have got it this year if I would have bothered to go get it.  My laziness/indifference is the real culprit here.

But, as I mentioned earlier, I have no way of really knowing if these shots are doing anything for me one way or the other.  They're free so I may as well get them (unless there's a shortage and someone else needs them more that I do).  I suppose I could pay for a blood test if I get sick so I know but I don't know if that's really worth the cost.  Easier just to take the shot lottery and deal with whatever happens (or not...whatever...you can tell I have strong feelings about this).  I suppose if this were, or were like, a hundred years ago and people were dying from the flu in droves I would feel a lot stronger about getting inoculated.

mwc

A lot of people get flu symptoms after getting it. I'd say it  just comes down to individual choice. I choose to get it because I'm also in contact with vulnerable people who could get seriously ill from the flu.