Goodbye Jesus

What would you do?

Deathportal365

I have been pondering the question I'm about to ask for a while...but first, a little backstory. This actually happened to me a year and a half ago or so. I was in the supermarket minding my own business when this kid (probably 10-11 years old) comes up to me and says, "sir, if you died today, do you know where you'd go?" I was a bit flabbergasted, but at the time I still considered myself a Christian, albeit loosely. So I said, "I believe I'd go to Heaven." And he said, "Thank you, that's all I needed to know," and he walked off. I think that he probably singled me out due to my appearance. At the time, I had really long hair and a fairly long goatee, and I think I was dressed in all black, so he probably thought I was in a heavy metal band or something (I actually was briefly several years ago!)...now, I've got shorter hair, so I probably wouldn't stand out.

Anyway, here's my question. If this happened to any of you, based on wherever you are in the journey of your life now, what would you say to him? I've thought of a few responses:

A. Say exactly what I said then, and let him believe that I'm saved by Jesus (but be inauthentic, which I don't like)

B. Tell him that I am not a Christian and that I am unsure that there is a God (true, but what if it traumatized him, or upset his mother, who was further down the aisle?)

C. Politely tell him that religious/spiritual matters are personal and that I would prefer not to answer (also potentially true; I don't mind talking about it to certain people, but not in the damn grocery store)

D. Rudely tell him to get the hell away from me (I absolutely would not do this because I try to be a gentle person, and even though interactions like that one are awkward, he seemed like a nice kid)

E. Tell him that I used to be a Christian, but my life circumstances and the research I've done thus far have led me to conclude it isn't true, and encourage him to never be afraid to question what they tell him in church (also true, but I think it would be awkward.)

But those are what I've come up with. What about you all?

I’ve often thought about how I’d handle somebody coming to my door with this question.  But a kid in a grocery store, well that puts a different twist on it.  I definitely would want to answer honestly, so I suppose I’d say “I can’t be certain but I think the answer is ‘Nowhere’ - that I’ll just die and that’s it, the end.” 

Maybe he’d respond “OK, I’ll put you down as Nothing After Death.  Thank you, sir!”  But assuming he wanted to follow up and proselytize, I’d be polite but firm and say something like “I’ve actually thought this a great deal and I’ve reached my conclusion and I’m very unlikely to change my mind. So I don’t want to waste your time, young man.”

But if it were an adult door-knocker instead, yeah I’d definitely engage them and invite them in.  I’ve thought of various ways to respond, some of them more wicked than others.  But that’s a different scenario from the one you posed...

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I say, "Why do you ask?" and proceed from there as my mood dictates.

12 hours ago, Deathportal365 said:

I have been pondering the question I'm about to ask for a while...but first, a little backstory. This actually happened to me a year and a half ago or so. I was in the supermarket minding my own business when this kid (probably 10-11 years old) comes up to me and says, "sir, if you died today, do you know where you'd go?" I was a bit flabbergasted, but at the time I still considered myself a Christian, albeit loosely. So I said, "I believe I'd go to Heaven." And he said, "Thank you, that's all I needed to know," and he walked off. I think that he probably singled me out due to my appearance. At the time, I had really long hair and a fairly long goatee, and I think I was dressed in all black, so he probably thought I was in a heavy metal band or something (I actually was briefly several years ago!)...now, I've got shorter hair, so I probably wouldn't stand out.

Anyway, here's my question. If this happened to any of you, based on wherever you are in the journey of your life now, what would you say to him? I've thought of a few responses:

A. Say exactly what I said then, and let him believe that I'm saved by Jesus (but be inauthentic, which I don't like)

B. Tell him that I am not a Christian and that I am unsure that there is a God (true, but what if it traumatized him, or upset his mother, who was further down the aisle?)

C. Politely tell him that religious/spiritual matters are personal and that I would prefer not to answer (also potentially true; I don't mind talking about it to certain people, but not in the damn grocery store)

D. Rudely tell him to get the hell away from me (I absolutely would not do this because I try to be a gentle person, and even though interactions like that one are awkward, he seemed like a nice kid)

E. Tell him that I used to be a Christian, but my life circumstances and the research I've done thus far have led me to conclude it isn't true, and encourage him to never be afraid to question what they tell him in church (also true, but I think it would be awkward.)

It was a brainwashed kid--I think you did the right thing. There's no point engaging with a 10 year old. You have to pick your battles imo.

13 hours ago, Deathportal365 said:

"Yes, I know where I'm going. Thanks. Run along now."

"Yes, I'll be in Valhalla."

"Yes, I'm going to the Summerlands."

"Yes, I'm burning in Hell. Wanna come along?"

Seriously though, my hindsight is better than in the  actual real moment. I'd probably let him blather on then tell him I love Jesus and he'd be all happy. A win-win. lol.

You can also say, "Que? No entiendo Ingles, nino." Practice a Russian response too, just in case.

You could also fake a seizure.

66661745.jpg

You don't owe anyone an explanation. Particularly not some random stranger.

Regardless of my state of mind or location, when I die I'm going to Kentucky.  That's where the burial plot is.