Goodbye Jesus

Picking My Battles in Life

Moxie

I've decided that life is too short to engage in political and religious quarreling.

Online arguments on social media aren't worth my time. Trying to defend one idea or expose another, not worth my time. I'll put in my own perspective, but to spend my life trying to put an end to human folly is... well... folly.

• Like 4

I totally understand and pretty much agree with your perspective. I've mostly stopped trying to correct people who are wrong and demonstrably and willfully delusional.

I decided to join this forum and hang around people who articulate the arguments against Christianity, though, because validation and support is a very natural and human need. This is especially true if you grew up with parents who deprived you of those things in order to keep a tight leash on you. It's an important part of the healing process, I think. It's also comforting how thorough and truthful these arguments against certain toxic beliefs are, when you were at one point in time scared into believing they are irrefutable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaganBookworm said:

I've decided that life is too short to engage in political and religious quarreling.

Discussions - yes.

Quarreling - no.

I avoid dialog with those who cannot hold a thought, for the sake of the discussion, simply because they disagree with it.

I also avoid those who develop a seething hatred and disrespect for those with whom they disagree.

Unfortunately I am married to both of those people.  :49:

• Like 6

I don't think you should give up trying to make the world a better place, but do choose your battles. If you don't you'll end up burned out.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2018 at 2:54 PM, PaganBookworm said:

Online arguments on social media aren't worth my time. Trying to defend one idea or expose another, not worth my time. I'll put in my own perspective, but to spend my life trying to put an end to human folly is... well... folly.

Exactly how I feel. For the first time in my life, I've almost gone silent because I don't have much to say one way or another. It's all too futile for me. I'm too tired. I have to keep my eyes on happy things. :)

• Like 4