Goodbye Jesus

Hello

Weezer

I have lurked around a few days, and overall find this a very worthwhile site.  I began questioning church doctrine in The late 1950s and early 60s.  But due to circumstances didn't leave the church (Church of Christ) until 1991 when I was 50 years old.  If I had had the internet and sites like this, it might not have taken so long.  I have written the story of my spiritual journey but have not really tried to distribute it yet.  The story grew out of a letter I started to a relative explaining why I left the C of C.  I think it might be very helpful to those who are contemplating leaving a church, or religion in general ----- especially fundamentalism.  I am sure many of you can identify with much of what I have written. 

The story is different to many I have read on this and other sites.  I never felt abused in the church, and had many positive experiences there.  Leaving was strictly based on doctrine.  I actually worked as a Social Worker in 2 church related programs for 20 years.  I understand how people come to their faith, and why they cling to it.  BUT, I do resent the doctrine of fear, and especially resent the concept of the "age of accountability."  That was a major factor in the beginning of my anxiety and depression.  No pre-adolescent should have to go through that.

The story is 12 typewritten pages long.  I am a slow typer (I guess the term is now word processor) and would rather not re-type the whole thing to post it on the site.  Can I click on "submit your article" and then attach the story from my word processing program?  Can you upload a story that long on any other forums?  Any other suggestions? 

Thanks, Jim.  My posting title will be Weezer, which was a nickname I had in high school. 

• Like 3

I might add, the title to my story is,  Searching for Truth:  A gradual awakening to the big picture of religion.

Maybe I am blind, but isn't there a way to go back and edit a post where you have made a mistake, or want to add something?

Welcome Weezer

You should be able to attach the document in your post. When you are typing a post you should see at the bottom left an option "Drag Files here to attach, or choose files".

Regarding editing posts - you only get that ability after you have posted a certain number of times I believe. So keep posting and you'll gain the ability. Not sure how many - something like 10 or 20.

• Thanks 1

Hello Weezer & welcome from the Geezer!  What are the chances of having a Weezer & a Geezer on the same site? And we are both former Church of Christ!  I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts. We have a few more former c of C folk here. Always good to meet a former cult member. :beer:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Weezer said:

I might add, the title to my story is,  Searching for Truth:  A gradual awakening to the big picture of religion.

I get that. I've been studing and researching the origins & evolution of both the Bible & the Christian Faith, from the historical critical perspective, for more than a decade now. My research revealed a lot of eye opening & disturbing information about the bible & the Christian Faith. That study quickly killed my faith. 

You are are probably aware of this site, Ex-Church of Christ.com. It may or may not interest you. I'm no longer active over there but I have been in the past & a couple of ex c of C folk that are active on this site occasionally post over there too. 

Welcome to the forum, @Weezer.

Hope to "hear" more from you.

• Like 1

THANKS for the welcomes!

Geezer, would you believe my handle on the motorcycle forum I belong to is  "weezer the geezer".

I participated for a while on ex-CofC a few years back.  Seems like I remember seeing some of your posts.  Where in the south do you live?  I grew up in NE Oklahoma, but ancestors were from Arkansas, Tennessee, and East Texas, the birth place of the CofC.  After marriage we lived in Little Rock area about 10 years.  We both graduated from Harding University.  Have been in Kansas over 30 years now.  Have worked in 2 CofC children's homes, which is what brought us to Kansas.

Under which category would you recommend I post my story?  It has a lot of what I consider logical thinking, and I think it would be good for helping people "de-convert".  It is a fairly long story.  A summary of my experience from childhood, to conclusions reached, and continuing observations and questions. 

Hi Weezer and welcome to our community!  I’m looking forward to reading your story.  I spent around 25 years as a Church-of-Christ member myself, from baptism at the age of 29 to my deconversion just a handful of years ago in my early 50s.  Like you, my experience was not traumatic, but I do regret allowing faith to wall off part of my mind for so long.  I never quite bought the whole thing, but it took too long for my skeptical nature to break through.  I’m just glad it finally did and I feel like I can be fully myself now for the first time in decades.  OK, that’s enough about me.  Again, welcome - and please do post your story!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weezer said:

THANKS for the welcomes!

Geezer, would you believe my handle on the motorcycle forum I belong to is  "weezer the geezer".

I participated for a while on ex-CofC a few years back.  Seems like I remember seeing some of your posts.  Where in the south do you live?  I grew up in NE Oklahoma, but ancestors were from Arkansas, Tennessee, and East Texas, the birth place of the CofC.  After marriage we lived in Little Rock area about 10 years.  We both graduated from Harding University.  Have been in Kansas over 30 years now.  Have worked in 2 CofC children's homes, which is what brought us to Kansas.

Under which category would you recommend I post my story?  It has a lot of what I consider logical thinking, and I think it would be good for helping people "de-convert".  It is a fairly long story.  A summary of my experience from childhood, to conclusions reached, and continuing observations and questions. 

We live about 10 miles outside of Memphis. My wife is a native Memphian. My daughter graduated from Harding HS in Memphis & went to Lipscomb for a year. 

The personal testimony section is where folks usually post their stories,  but you might want to get a mod's opinion. Glad you found us. I'm looking forward to reading your story & any other thoughts you have.

The info you posted indicates I'm about 4 years younger than you but old enough to be a Geezer for sure.

• Like 1

Welcome To Ex-c Weezer! So glad to have you here with us. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

I think it would be just fine to post your article in Ex-c Testimonies! 

I will do some slight reformatting to make it fit better on a regular thread and try to get it posted in a couple of days.

Well, here goes the attempt to attach my story under Testimonies.  I hope it is readable.