Sign in to follow this  
Weezer

Personal Story: TRUTH, A GRADUAL AWAKENING

Very interesting read. It's most unfortunate that so many like yourself are indoctrinated into a doctrine that isn't even practiced correctly according to the very book that is claimed to be through divine inspiration. But that is what organized Christianity is doing to people, or rather the people within those belief systems that are doing the misleading. I find it typical of lazy humans that do not even bother to read the book they follow but instead rely on the pastors to teach them what is written. BIG MISTAKE.

Personally, I wasn't tainted by the churches misinterpretations but rather took on the search on my own. I got a KJV bible and started reading. It didn't take long before I started to see just how out of touch those churches are with what the book actually says about "sound doctrine". Truth be told, those buildings should never have been built in the first place. It is not biblical at all. Scripture says to not forsake the assembling of yourselves together, that's it, as in "...where two or more are gathered together..." thing. It is man who added all the buildings, rituals, etc. In fact, the bible talks against such things describing how the chief priests love to wear fancy clothes, be seen of men, etc. All of that stuff is the work of men, not a god.

Christian versions of the bible. The two couldn't be more different, but both are guilty of not following their own book. Also, many don't seem to understand that the Old Testament is the Judaic Law, while the New Testament is the Law of Grace, but one must understand the OT law to understand the Law of Grace.

@Weezer, I haven’t been able to read your testimony in the format you posted yet; I have an iPad I use most of the time and it doesn’t have the software necessary to open your document, have to wait and get on a desktop to read. But I have followed all your responses to the comments here and I just want to say that, when I get around to writing my testimony my thoughts will be as ordered and well-written as yours.

Mike, i never did understand how my story became an attachment.  Hopefully you will consider it ordered and well written after you have read it.  The version attached here is a many times edited story over about 15 years.  I even have another revision since this one was posted.  Best wishes in writing your story.

On 2/18/2018 at 9:15 PM, Weezer said:

It has been very interesting to see how different people react to evidence, that to me should lead to doubt and questions.  Some whom I regarded as more liberal thinkers, and secure enough to explore new information, have been the ones who got angry or simply "tuned out" of the discussion.  I have stopped even bringing the subject up.  But have wrestled with whether to do so or not.  Did I plant a seed?  Will it germinate later on?  

How do some of you handle this?  Do you ever do any even slight proselytizing?  Or just keep quiet And respond if someone asks about your position?  A part of me wants to do what was done to us.  Get right up in their face and say,  "hey, have you ever considered this?"

This seems to be the crux of the Ex-C life. We always wonder if there is a magic key that will cut through the programming of religion, and will undo both the myths and the person's unwillingness to question. Is there anything we can do or say to trigger it in others?

This religion emphasizes belief as super important for survival, and I've heard it said that once the brain is convinced of a survival-level thing, it becomes by nature something that is very difficult to un-believe (since such belief is a mechanism of evolution needed for survival). Then add to it the tribal inclusion that often happens with new believers, and the sense that there is now real magic, a purpose to life, joining Hogwarts, a real god that hears my prayers and has promised to answer, and there is strong motivation to find out exactly how to please this god and fit in with the others. Those are all very basic goodies to the human psyche, even years after they are obviously not actually really working. The hope that they someday will all perfectly happen is enough carrot to keep most people going, AND to fend off things that would seem to rob them of the promised paradise and love and answered prayers and and and and and...

It takes that internal change, perhaps an error-checking program of sorts, that raises a red flag and says "This really doesn't make any sense. What about ____? And what about _____?"  That seemingly small correction is the thing we want to create in others, and that seems to darn elusive. It gets past the mental defenses because it seems to come from inside and is therefore trusted at some level. I keep hoping that there is a way we haven't yet discovered that will consistently trigger it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/11/2018 at 2:09 AM, Geezer said:

I had to find absolute proof that the Bible is not the inerrant word of God, and I was surprised to discover how easy that is to do. After doing that atheism was the only option left. 

Why didn’t you consider changing to one of the many Christian denominations who accept that the bible is flawed? Eg. Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox?

2 hours ago, LostinParis said:

Why didn’t you consider changing to one of the many Christian denominations who accept that the bible is flawed? Eg. Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox?

Dr. Robert M.Price, Hermann Detering, David Fitzgerald, & Dr. Richard Carrier convinced me that it is more likely, rather than less likely  , that both Jesus and the Apostle Paul were literary figures not real people. I also found sufficient evidence that convinced me the Gospel Story itself was fictional.

After years of study and research it became obvious to me that Christianity is a manmade religion and the Bible is simply a collection of theological myths. Therefore, no version of Christianity appealed to me. Atheism was my only alternative. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

Christianity is a manmade religion and the Bible is simply a collection of theological myths.

As are all religions.  The largest misconceptions ever released on the world.

• Like 2