Goodbye Jesus

Hey! Ex-Muslim here, but...

RavanKiani

Hey! Ex-Muslim here, but I am very supportive of the ex-Christian community!

I know the dangers and the torment of being an apostate and I wanted to reach out to all of you on here. I am a poet, I write blasphemous poems usually about Islam but mainly about god. I write about the agony of being an apostate, losing parents, the abandonment, the exile, the loss of identity. I have had a plethora of Christians try to convert me, I guess they see ex-Muslims as a brand new shiny toy. But I'm an atheist, I have read the Bible and I find it vile. I'm in love with Ludwig Feuerbach's "The Essence of Christianity" and Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion".

So yeah, I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I am writing a book, a series of short stories and poems that surround the theme of god, Islam and the marginalisation of apostates. 

I hope you all support me by following my work on twitter and instagram, links below, and by spreading the message!

Thank you very much, and best wishes to you all, keep strong!

Ravan Kiani

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ravankiani

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ravankiani/

• Like 6

Welcome. I know an ex-Christian on another site that is now a Muslim. He claims Allah came to him in a vision & told him to convert to Islam, so he had no choice. I look forward to reading some of your thoughts & experiences. 

Thanks! Oh no, I guess many ex-Christians are very drawn to Islam. I remember hearing many criticise the idea of the trinity  in favour of the Islamic doctrine that states there is only one god. Definist fallacy.  

1 hour ago, RavanKiani said:

have had a plethora of Christians try to convert me, I guess they see ex-Muslims as a brand new shiny toy.

Yes, they do! They assume that means the One True God™ is talking to you. When I deconverted, one of my Russian women friends (a Pentecostal Christian) asked me to look her in the eye and tell her why. She's good at picking up on lies or deceit, so she figured I was in sin or had something I wanted to hide.

I looked her in the eye and told her exactly why I deconverted, and then said "You would have no problem accepting it if a Muslim were to deconvert, but with Christianity you feel it is different." But really, there is no difference in the lie of religion, and the path out can be wonderful and perilous depending on the person.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome!

The Abrahamic religions have much in common. Obviously, Christianity is ubiquitous in this country so the focus is on them, but all who have been fooled, abused and otherwise mistreated by a religion are welcome here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, RavanKiani!

It's great that you found your way out of religion, too. I hope things aren't too bad now with your family and friends, assuming they were and still are Muslims.

I'm glad to have been able to give you your first "like" here. Enjoy the journey ahead of you....

My sister (a liberal Christian) went to a mosque as part of her world religions class and literally met a former evangelical Christian who read a book (I think she said it was Evidence that Demands a Verdict) that was meant to "prove" the resurrection of Christ. Instead, this man became convinced the resurrection story was false, but that he needed religion to avoid hellfire, so he converted to Islam.

I wonder how/why it is people must insist they are so wretched they deserve eternal torment? 

• Like 3

Welcome RavanKiani!

I feel a special bond with and respect for those who have left Islam, especially those who have become atheists and especially since the consequences can be so much more severe than any of us ex-Christians have had to deal with!  I stand in awe of the courage of atheists in Muslim countries. 

Some of my heroes include Armin Navabi, Ali Rizvi and Ayaan Hirsi Ali.  Majid Nawaz too, even though he still calls himself a Muslim.  

It has occurred to me that even though this is an “Ex-Christian” community, an ex-Muslim atheist would fit in here much better than an ex-Christian Muslim would!

I will follow you on Twitter for sure and look forward to hearing more from you, whether here or there!

I’m glad you said Hi!

• Like 1

Just now, ThereAndBackAgain said:

Welcome RavanKiani!

I feel a special bond with and respect for those who have left Islam, especially those who have become atheists and especially since the consequences can be so much more severe than any of us ex-Christians have had to deal with!  I stand in awe of the courage of atheists in Muslim countries. 

Some of my heroes include Armin Navabi, Ali Rizvi and Ayaan Hirsi Ali.  Majid Nawaz too, even though he still calls himself a Muslim.  

It has occurred to me that even though this is an “Ex-Christian” community, an ex-Muslim atheist would fit in here much better than an ex-Christian Muslim would!

I will follow you on Twitter for sure and look forward to hearing more from you, whether here or there!

I’m glad you said Hi!

Hey! Thanks so much! 
Armin is bloody fantastic, they all have a place in my heart. Dawkins first though!

Aww thank you! I just wanted to let you all know that I write blasphemous pieces and I hope to publish my book very soon (queue the death threats and rape threats) and I thought maybe the ex-Christian community would support me. And you all are so welcoming, so thank you all so much. If anyone here has instagram, twitter or facebook, do check my account of links, I post a lot of poems on there that you may feel you relate to!

• Like 1

Welcome RavanKiani!  Please stay safe.  I hope you live in a place where you are safe.  Some Muslims can become very angry simply because you are who you are.  Best wishes and again welcome.

2 hours ago, mymistake said:

Welcome RavanKiani!  Please stay safe.  I hope you live in a place where you are safe.  Some Muslims can become very angry simply because you are who you are.  Best wishes and again welcome.

Hi! Thank you, I live in a secular Western country, so I am safe to an extent. I'm very curious, is there a death penalty for apostasy in Christianity? Like there is in Islam? Do you guys feel safe? It pains me that Islam can tear families apart, does leaving Christianity have the same destructive consequences? 

7 minutes ago, RavanKiani said:

I'm very curious, is there a death penalty for apostasy in Christianity? Like there is in Islam?

Not for hundreds of years.  But back then it was bad.  They use to burn people alive.  I'm glad I didn't live back during that time.

9 minutes ago, RavanKiani said:

Do you guys feel safe? It pains me that Islam can tear families apart, does leaving Christianity have the same destructive consequences? 

I live in a farming region so no, I wouldn't feel safe if people knew I was an ex-Christian.  There is no danger from my government but sometimes Christians can get crazy ideas and try to cast out demons.  And there are some who will simply commit crimes against you if they know you are an ex-Christian.  I keep my religious views to myself when not on the internet.  I advise my atheist children to do the same.

My extended relatives are fundamentalist in the sense that Christianity is the most important thing to them and all they care about.  They judge others entirely by whether or not they are Christian.  I don't think any of my relatives would hurt me if they knew but they would probably never stop bothering me about religion so I don't tell them.

• Like 1

Welcome Ravan Kiani

Nice seeing anyone who's managed to break free from any religion here!

2 hours ago, RavanKiani said:

Hi! Thank you, I live in a secular Western country, so I am safe to an extent. I'm very curious, is there a death penalty for apostasy in Christianity? Like there is in Islam? Do you guys feel safe? It pains me that Islam can tear families apart, does leaving Christianity have the same destructive consequences? 

If you read the Old Testament the Israelite were supposed to kill those who sought after other Gods - I assume that also means those who sought after no God.

However Christians largely say that was the old testament and we have the new now. However most will say the penalty for not believing in Jesus is Hell.

Regards to the tearing apart - yes happens with Christianity. Some parents refuse to talk to their children after the children become atheist and leave the church. Its not life threatening, but still damaging to mental health and causes many unpleasant exchanges with family.

Nice seeing you you, hope you hang around. We have a chat room if you are interested - see this link for details

http://new.exchristian.net/p/chat.html 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mymistake said:

Not for hundreds of years.  But back then it was bad.  They use to burn people alive.  I'm glad I didn't live back during that time.

I live in a farming region so no, I wouldn't feel safe if people knew I was an ex-Christian.  There is no danger from my government but sometimes Christians can get crazy ideas and try to cast out demons.  And there are some who will simply commit crimes against you if they know you are an ex-Christian.  I keep my religious views to myself when not on the internet.  I advise my atheist children to do the same.

My extended relatives are fundamentalist in the sense that Christianity is the most important thing to them and all they care about.  They judge others entirely by whether or not they are Christian.  I don't think any of my relatives would hurt me if they knew but they would probably never stop bothering me about religion so I don't tell them.

Wow, that is still so terrifying! Nice to see that you've raised your children atheist, I can't wait to do the same. I'd be the first in generations! 
That is sad :( It seems that the ex-Christian community is very much unheard and unrecognised as well. Are there any active non-governmental organisations for ex-Christians to meet and discuss and protest? We have Ex-Muslims of North America, or the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 9:48 AM, RavanKiani said:

Hey! Ex-Muslim here, but I am very supportive of the ex-Christian community!

I know the dangers and the torment of being an apostate and I wanted to reach out to all of you on here. I am a poet, I write blasphemous poems usually about Islam but mainly about god. I write about the agony of being an apostate, losing parents, the abandonment, the exile, the loss of identity. I have had a plethora of Christians try to convert me, I guess they see ex-Muslims as a brand new shiny toy. But I'm an atheist, I have read the Bible and I find it vile. I'm in love with Ludwig Feuerbach's "The Essence of Christianity" and Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion".

So yeah, I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I am writing a book, a series of short stories and poems that surround the theme of god, Islam and the marginalisation of apostates. 

I hope you all support me by following my work on twitter and instagram, links below, and by spreading the message!

Thank you very much, and best wishes to you all, keep strong!

Ravan Kiani

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ravankiani

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ravankiani/

Hello, I can certainly relate to what you've written. The God Delusion was a really good read, it finally got me out of Christian fundamentalism. Welcome to ex-c :)

18 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Welcome Ravan Kiani

Nice seeing anyone who's managed to break free from any religion here!

If you read the Old Testament the Israelite were supposed to kill those who sought after other Gods - I assume that also means those who sought after no God.

However Christians largely say that was the old testament and we have the new now. However most will say the penalty for not believing in Jesus is Hell.

Regards to the tearing apart - yes happens with Christianity. Some parents refuse to talk to their children after the children become atheist and leave the church. Its not life threatening, but still damaging to mental health and causes many unpleasant exchanges with family.

Nice seeing you you, hope you hang around. We have a chat room if you are interested - see this link for details

http://new.exchristian.net/p/chat.html 

Hi! Thanks for having me!

Yeah, that is incredibly damaging to mental health :( Damn. I always hear these arguments, "oh that was the Old Testament, you should look at the New Testament." Forgive me for my ignorance, but why are there two? Couldn't an omniscient god have written or sent down the New one instead of backtracking? 
I will definitely look into the chat room! Thanks for sending!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Hello, I can certainly relate to what you've written. The God Delusion was a really good read, it finally got me out of Christian fundamentalism. Welcome to ex-c :)

Hey! Thanks for the welcome! I love being amongst the ex-Christian community! It seems we all have very difficult struggles in our apostasy. I met Dawkins, he is bloody amazing :D 

1 hour ago, RavanKiani said:

Hi! Thanks for having me!

Yeah, that is incredibly damaging to mental health :( Damn. I always hear these arguments, "oh that was the Old Testament, you should look at the New Testament." Forgive me for my ignorance, but why are there two? Couldn't an omniscient god have written or sent down the New one instead of backtracking? 
I will definitely look into the chat room! Thanks for sending!

Ah, but it all makes sense, when you look at it historically. Just a bunch of men at the time writing about how things are, and a bunch of other men centuries later re-interpreting the arguments. As for the chat room, that's a fun place, it would be great to have an ex-muslim's perspective there.

Hi, @RavanKiani !

I'm an ex-Christian currently reading the book I Am Malala, and I'm learning a lot about the alarming effects of Islam on families, especially women. I'll definitely explore your links. It's good to have a perspective from a different religion here.

You'll get a lot of pertinent information and support here. :)

Welcome to the site!

• Like 1

Years ago it was an ex-muslim that made a statement that helped me over the last hurtle to leave religion.  He told my sister that if she had been born into a different religion, in a country where almost everyone was devoted to that religion, and believed that other faiths were false and would lead you to Hell, then she would almost surely believe THAT was the true religion.  The statement was so obviously true, we couldn't ignore it.  We had both recently graduated from a christian college, but we're questioning The faith.  It led to use both becoming Agnostic.

• Like 4

Please excuse the misspelled words due to predictive text.  Sometimes our advanced technology can be frustrating.  HA!  My conditioning in the Church of Christ to get everything just right, is still with me.

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I'm currently reading Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, (her story of leaving Islam behind), very enlightening to say the least.

Great book!

Welcome aboard!

On 2/17/2018 at 4:56 PM, RavanKiani said:

I don't know of any country that would execute you for being an apostate ex-Christian. You don't have to worry about the government as much as social pressure to conform to the predominant religion. Actually, I think that it is quite rare to fear for your life over this. Maybe loss of social status, though....

• Like 1