Goodbye Jesus

In your honest opinion

quinntar

Christians, in your honest opinion, why do you think we left Christianity. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, theanticrash said:

Christians, in your honest opinion, why do you think we left Christianity. 

I think one of the reasons has to do with false teachings, abusive leaders and abusive churches.

These have cause horrific trauma to those who have experienced it.

I’m not going to berate people who flee these false presentations of the Christian faith.

I also understand that one the purposes of the ex-Christian forums is to help people to tell their story and seek help.

I have a few more thoughts, but I will wait and post when they apply to future comments. 

Why would you care what a group of people who believe in sky fairies think?

• Super Moderator

In my experience, Christians will assign any reason but the primary one. True, some people leave a church because of leadership or people, but leaving Christianity altogether is another question.

People don't stop believing the Christian myth because they want to "sin" and they don't stop believing because some prominent Christian or one they know personally acts like an ass. People leave the Bible story behind them because it doesn't make any sense, contradicts not only science and history, but it contradicts itself. It is usually quite painful and personally costly to leave this religion in America, so it's not something done without much consideration.

But Christians, feel free to make up your own reality on this, too.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ironhorse said:

I think one of the reasons has to do with false teachings, abusive leaders and abusive churches.

I’m not going to berate people who flee these false presentations of the Christian faith.

I also understand that one the purposes of the ex-Christian forums is to help people to tell their story and seek help.

I have a few more thoughts, but I will wait and post when they apply to future comments. 

Now that IH has picked the low hanging fruit let see if he can give the reason/s some like, say BAA left Christianity. (Or myself, or any number of ex-Christians I know)

4 hours ago, ironhorse said:

You seem to think here that we left because we were taken in by a false Christianity. Are you sure this the case? Might we have left because Christianity itself proved to be a myriad of flawed precepts that was dangerous to our state of mind. Might we have have left because under close examination of our faith Jesus wasn't there.

Can you or any other Christian finally prove that this factitious spirit father is actually real? 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Christian: "You left Christianity because you had a false teacher."

Apostate: "I tried several denominations, read many authors and studied the Bible."

Christian: "If only you had received the correct teaching as I did you could never have left."

Apostate: "Bite me."

(At least that's how it should go.) :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, ironhorse said:

Where is the BULLSHIT vote?

• Like 2

I stopped believing because I read the Bible.

Talk about bullshit.

Of course when you factor in feeble minded attempts at discrediting those who leave the faith, like @ironhorse attempted to do above,  so that dishonest shitheads can continue to fleece their flock the decision to leave the faith is bolstered.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@ironhorse leaves out the most damning reason why many of us here left Christianity:

That is the total lack of any credible reason to believe the propositions put forward by Christianity.

The bible has been so utterly refuted on every metaphysical claim it makes, and on pretty much every natural claim that one is now required to do mental gymnastics in order to defend a belief in the bible. 300 years ago you were fully justified, based on available information, to believe what the bible said. Today you are not.

One only needs to listen to a professional Christian apologist not answer any direct questions, or hand wave away rebuttals to realise this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@end3and  @ironhorse do the hairs on your head stand up when you see answers like these?

• Haha 1

Deep down, IH knows that many of us left because Christianity doesn't make sense. That's all there is to it, at the end of the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ironhorse said:

I think one of the reasons has to do with false teachings

That is Christianity in a nutshell. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

That is Christianity in a nutshell. 

Ahhh... but IH didn't mean True Christianity (TM)

Christianity and religion alike is dress up for adults. Do you remember as children you would put on costumes and pretend to be that character. Well that's religion, dressing up as your favorite spiritual guru and believing you are them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Are you sure it was the abusive nature of christianity that drove us away and not the abusive nature of god as it is presented in the bible?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Ahhh... but IH didn't mean True Christianity (TM)

Good, since there's no such thing. ;)

On 2/26/2018 at 7:45 AM, ironhorse said:

yes sir, @ironhorse!

The ones between Genesis and Revelations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

Good, since there's no such thing. ;)

Oh yes there is!

It says so 'ere in mah lil black holy book.

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2018 at 10:45 AM, ironhorse said:

Yes indeed, its all about the teachings, in Christianity, specifically. Let me point you to a few quotes from a favourite writer of mine, (Dan Barker) he's rather concise:

“The very concept of sin comes from the Bible. Christianity offers to solve a problem of its own making! Would you be thankful to a person who cut you with a knife in order to sell you a bandage?”

“I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward."

“Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can't be taken on its own merits. It is intellectual bankruptcy.”

4 hours ago, MOHO said:

yes sir, @ironhorse!

The ones between Genesis and Revelations.

Between and including Genesis and Revelations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2018 at 9:45 AM, ironhorse said:

I'm curious, in cases where abuse or trauma isn't as present, do you amount it to a lack of faith? 

12 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

I sit corrected.

Thank you, @sdelsolray

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

Can I get an Ecclesiastes exclusion? Some good stuff there. The sequel got weird though. Don't get me wrong, I like a little erotica as much as the next guy, but some of that imagery was a bit much.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, theanticrash said:

@end3and  @ironhorse do the hairs on your head stand up when you see answers like these?

No, my hair is always in a mess.

One thing though…

I did not say abusive churches were the only reason, I said it was one of the reasons. I posted that first because I think it is one of the major reasons.  The atrocities of false teachings and abusive churches (which cover dozens of issues) has harmed many people.  

I also said, I had more thoughts on the topic.

I am aware there are other reasons.