Sign in to follow this  
pratt

billy graham called home

at a ripe old age of 99

finally dead

hallelujah

• Like 2

Wow! I figured that he would make it past 100. Almost!

• Haha 1

There was such an aura of respect given to him back in the 70s. Even my non-religious parents watched his televised giant stadium shows occasionally. And when one doesn't know the Bible well, and the facts regarding its non-history, the evangelism stories can sucker you in.

• Like 1

He really knew how to make money off of it.  Frank Graham is worth hundreds of millions today.  Not bad for "charity" work.

• Haha 1

My dad loved to watch him on TV.  Graham was always so hateful and angry.  I could never understand why people found him inspiring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a shame now that he ceases to exist in any form or spirit he will not be able to come back and apologise to all the people whose lives he made hell!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max said:

My dad loved to watch him on TV.  Graham was always so hateful and angry.  I could never understand why people found him inspiring.

My stepson (adult not living with us) considers Graham to be the most wonderful human begin who ever lives and breathed - Except Jesus of course.

Of course one attempt years ago to suggest that Graham appeared rather angry AND made a shit-pot of cash telling people how worthless they are w/out jebus resulted in a response that made Mr. Graham look like a pussy cat!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Love him or hate him, Billy Graham was an icon. He had an impact on millions of people over many years.  Christian or not, I liked him. I watched his 'crusades' on TV when TV was black and white with my family and friends and loved ones. I read some of his books. 

It's funny that I hear people (not just here) slam him for having a lot of money, but the same people probably never mention John Lennon who is revered for his song "Imagine" singing about 'imagine no possessions' and leaving a couple of hundred millions of dollars behind when he died.

Billy Graham was a part of my life back then just like 60's Ford Mustangs were, or the moon landing, or when I first started learning guitar, noticing that girls were shaped differently, or when JFK was shot, or hippies, the first times I snuck a cigarette behind the garage, the smell of a school bus, and a bazillion other things I remember from way back when.

I'm sorry he's dead. It's another little slice of the era I remember that's dying a little everyday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Here's a different perspective, titled "Divorce, drugs, drinking: Billy Graham's children and their absent father."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/02/21/divorce-drugs-drinking-billy-grahams-children-and-their-absent-father/?utm_term=.40697c276f69

• Sad 1

^^Interesting read.  Other than Franklin, I'd never heard much about any of his other kids.   Graham was no different from all the other "good christians" out there --  choosing to put his imaginary sky-buddy on a higher priority than his real-life family and loved ones.    Well, one second thought,  I guess with all his $$$$, he was a little different from some of his fellow christians.  Disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think he was probably one of the least obnoxious evangelicals to hit the big time. Of course that's not saying a lot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey I DO tons of Charity Work and still not yet in those tens of dollars yet...  

Wrong crowd?

Cchhhhhheeeezse...

kL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Skip, those who help others but NOT for the money are usually NOT preachers. Just saying.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, duderonomy said:

It's funny that I hear people (not just here) slam him for having a lot of money, but the same people probably never mention John Lennon who is revered for his song "Imagine" singing about 'imagine no possessions' and leaving a couple of hundred millions of dollars behind when he died.

I don't think it's any secret that singers make lots of money.

These Christians though preach about the poor and not coveting worldly goods, yet the preachers amass empires of wealth. I have yet to see a poor preacher relative to their congregation - amazing what 10% of everyone's pittance will do for you.

"Blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the kingdom of God"

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter heaven"

"Give all you have to the poor and follow me"

These verses and many others like them are in direct contradiction to what these preachers actually do. That's why people slam him for having money. He's a scam artist. (Sorry was a scam artist)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, florduh said:

Skip, those who help others but NOT for the money are usually NOT preachers. Just saying.

She SAID she give me a Hummer if I fixed some stuff for her.. I THOUGHT it was the lil Italian Harley that was under tarp in back yard....

It is all dammed details...

kL

• Haha 2

I'm indifferent to his death. He had to go sometime. 

What has bugged me has been my coworker listening to Faux News. They've really put on the "Jesus" and "gospel" talk with the news of BG's death. They also played a bunch of clips from his sermons. My gawd, it was annoying! 

5 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I don't think it's any secret that singers make lots of money.

These Christians though preach about the poor and not coveting worldly goods, yet the preachers amass empires of wealth. I have yet to see a poor preacher relative to their congregation - amazing what 10% of everyone's pittance will do for you.

"Blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the kingdom of God"

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter heaven"

"Give all you have to the poor and follow me"

These verses and many others like them are in direct contradiction to what these preachers actually do. That's why people slam him for having money. He's a scam artist. (Sorry was a scam artist)

Some singers make a lot of money. Sadly for me I missed that boat back in my honky tonk guitar slinging days. Ain't that sad?  My point though was how hypocritical people can be about who has money compared to what they say/sing/write/etc.  Maybe that's for another thread? 

I've known, and have heard of, quite a few preachers that were in the same financial situation as their congregations. Not always dire, but they drove truck or worked other jobs to support their own families and also gave to the 'church' they were 'pastoring' and never took a paycheck from it. Granted, those aren't the famous ones, but they are out there.

I obviously won't argue about the 10% pittance. I'd like the money I gave over the years back myself. I could argue about the verses you quoted without context but I won't. I'd like to sometime, but not now.

If you'd read my post again LF, you might see that it wasn't about Christianity, it was about the ending of an era. 

9 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

If you'd read my post again LF, you might see that it wasn't about Christianity, it was about the ending of an era. 

Yeah I know, I was just picking up on the money bit and having a go.

11 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

Some singers make a lot of money. Sadly for me I missed that boat back in my honky tonk guitar slinging days. Ain't that sad?  My point though was how hypocritical people can be about who has money compared to what they say/sing/write/etc.  Maybe that's for another thread? 

Oh yeah, maybe I should have said World famous singers make lots of money. I forgot about the bar gigs that barely survive.

Not sure where you are going with the topic, but lay it out in an other thread - possibly combine with the topic 'does the bible promote being poor?' or something like that?

99? That's, like, as old as three whole Jesuses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Yeah I know, I was just picking up on the money bit and having a go.

Oh yeah, maybe I should have said World famous singers make lots of money. I forgot about the bar gigs that barely survive.

Not sure where you are going with the topic, but lay it out in an other thread - possibly combine with the topic 'does the bible promote being poor?' or something like that?

I'm not going anywhere with the topic, I only put in my two cents.  That does sound like a good idea for another thread though, although I'm sure by now neither one of us gives a damn what the Bible says about $$.  I won't start one, but I would comment if one came up that I was aware of. In fact it probably has somewhere in the history of Ex-C. :)

2 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

I'm not going anywhere with the topic, I only put in my two cents.  That does sound like a good idea for another thread though, although I'm sure by now neither one of us gives a damn what the Bible says about $$.  I won't start one, but I would comment if one came up that I was aware of. In fact it probably has somewhere in the history of Ex-C. :)

Yeah, nah, not interested in starting one myself. Like you I don't give a damn.

When someone starts quoting the bible to me these days I start quoting the quran or some other book back :D 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Yeah, nah, not interested in starting one myself. Like you I don't give a damn.

When someone starts quoting the bible to me these days I start quoting the quran or some other book back :D 

Ha! Never thought of doing that.   Holy Book vs. Holy Book.   Cool idea!   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

Ha! Never thought of doing that.   Holy Book vs. Holy Book.   Cool idea!   

It peeves them off and you get them started on "The Quran is wrong..." blah blah.

Then you can ask them to explain how one is right and the other is wrong. They get pretty tied up :D 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.