Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Florida School Security Officer Didn't Respond

Recommended Posts

The deputy Sheriff assigned as a security officer at the Florida School where 17 died not respond to the shooting or made any attempt to engage the shooter. He stayed outside and watched. 

 

He has resigned from the Sheriff's Dept & may face charges.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should face charges. He can at least be a scapegoat in this debacle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Geezer said:

The deputy Sheriff assigned as a security officer at the Florida School where 17 died not respond to the shooting or made any attempt to engage the shooter. He stayed outside and watched. 

 

He has resigned from the Sheriff's Dept & may face charges.

 

That would be grounds to question a set up. Or maybe he was just too scared to engage? Deer in the headlights? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So even when security is assigned it still doesn't help?

 

Was he armed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was definitely armed & apparently was supposed to be inside the school not outside. I actually feel sorry for him and his family. They are going to pay a heavy price for this & he will have to live with it for the rest of his life.

 

The full story is still unfolding, so we'll see how bad this gets. The fact he resigned pretty much says to me he knows he screwed up.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Geezer said:

He was definitely armed & apparently was supposed to be inside the school not outside. I actually feel sorry for him and his family. They are going to pay a heavy price for this & he will have to live with it for the rest of his life.

 

The full story is still unfolding, so we'll see how bad this gets. The fact he resigned pretty much says to me he knows he screwed up.

 

Maybe he could team up with Will Farrell and do, "The Other Guys: Part 2" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be at least one point of hard data showing that simply putting security in schools is not going to solve the problem.

 

Officer with a hand gun against an AR-15...hmmm arm the security with M4 carbines?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

 

That would be grounds to question a set up. Or maybe he was just too scared to engage? Deer in the headlights? 

 

They give you a gun for reason when you become a police officer. It's a dangerous job and every officer knows the risk when they sign up for the job, and they all get a lot of training. Look at how many officers have already died in the line of duty this year already. It's a really dangerous job that seems to be getting more dangerous with each passing day.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How "convenient". Yup if the public should demand Consequences(TM) after the killings, guess who'll get the blame so that the higher-ups can continue to do their thing? :mad:

 

But yes it also illustrates that just because Someone With A Gun(TM) is there doesn't have to mean jack shit. What kind of gun did the dude have (some kind of pistol I assume, or at best maybe a shotgun)? Would he have been able to hold his ground against a madman without any fear for his life, armed with a semi-auto rifle?

 

Let's tell it like it is: More weapons, whether for such guards, for teachers, or whatever... can at best somewhat limit the body count. And that's if they are both competent and shoot and hit first. And several other "if"'s probably that I'm not thinking of right now. Arguably better than nothing but everyone ask yourself now: If The Man(TM) tells you "we've done Things(TM) to limit the body count in future shootings", do you feel that that's even just nearly enough?

 

The core question, as I see it, is still "Why the ever-loving fuck do people snap so regularly and what can we do to prevent their snapping?". Everything else is just an attempt at damage control... mitigating the symptoms while accepting the cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
28 minutes ago, Thurisaz said:

The core question, as I see it, is still "Why the ever-loving fuck do people snap so regularly and what can we do to prevent their snapping?". Everything else is just an attempt at damage control... mitigating the symptoms while accepting the cause.

Hell yes, someone finally said it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Thurisaz said:

The core question, as I see it, is still "Why the ever-loving fuck do people snap so regularly and what can we do to prevent their snapping?". Everything else is just an attempt at damage control... mitigating the symptoms while accepting the cause.

 

Apparently 55% Americans are on some sort of prescribed drug. https://consumer.healthday.com/general-health-information-16/prescription-drug-news-551/americans-taking-more-prescription-drugs-than-ever-survey-725208.html

 

A factor?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 minute ago, LogicalFallacy said:

It could be that the prescription drugs are part of damage control too. I think this issue is probably fairly complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They say that you never know what you will do in combat until you find yourself in combat.  I wouldn't know since I have never been there.  But I'm sure there are a lot of people who would freeze in fear if they had to go against a rifle using only a hand gun.  Doesn't make any of this right.  Just one more thing that could go wrong.  It's hard to test for combat reflexes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our society is overrun with a lack of respect for, and nurturing of humanity.  From the white house on down.  And violence and revenge is rampant on TV, movies, games, etc. (and in many families) It is the way to get your way.  Many of these shooters have had less than desirable upbringing.  So when you are at your wits end, and don't see a future, why not commit the ultimate revenge??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be glad when I can edit my posts.  It probably goes without saying, but the above was responding to why these things keep happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Our society is overrun with a lack of respect for, and nurturing of humanity.  From the white house on down.  And violence and revenge is rampant on TV, movies, games, etc. (and in many families) It is the way to get your way.  Many of these shooters have had less than desirable upbringing.  So when you are at your wits end, and don't see a future, why not commit the ultimate revenge??

 

I've played violent video games my whole life. Never felt the urge to go pick up a gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
29 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Our society is overrun with a lack of respect for, and nurturing of humanity.  From the white house on down.  And violence and revenge is rampant on TV, movies, games, etc. (and in many families) It is the way to get your way.  Many of these shooters have had less than desirable upbringing.  So when you are at your wits end, and don't see a future, why not commit the ultimate revenge??

I'm not even going to speculate on the causes, as I've seen what the results are in doing so in other threads. I do agree with you that nurturing of humanity is important and imo that includes respect for human life, and thus a desire to get to the root causes of issues, instead of band aid solutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

 

I've played violent video games my whole life. Never felt the urge to go pick up a gun.

 

I'm just saying that realistic violence, abuse and disrespect is so pervasive, and if you don't have some good role models somewhere in your life, it increases  the likelihood of a person using it.  I have seen the underbelly of society, and frankly am surprised there isn't more violence. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 minute ago, Weezer said:

 

I'm just saying that realistic violence, abuse and disrespect is so pervasive, and if you don't have some good role models somewhere in your life, it increases  the likelihood of a person using it.  I have seen the underbelly of society, and frankly am surprised there isn't more violence. 

In regards to role modeling, I think it can go two ways. There are children who have had childhoods that are less than pleasant, who then turn into adults that are determined to stop the cycle and largely succeed. And there are those that continue with violence and abuse, etc. One very good example is the community here, its largely based around religion, but how many of us are damn determined that the religion virus is going to stop with us? I'm betting all of us. It just takes awareness, of your actions, and their impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

In regards to role modeling, I think it can go two ways.

 

You are right.  And most people who turn out okay had a good influence somewhere in their lives.  Some have virtually none.  Then throw in the factor of brain damage, or early neglect and deprivation which impairs the ability to bond with others, and It becomes a very complex issue.  I have worked with criminals, child abusers, mentally ill, etc.  In almost every case there was some kind of abuse and neglect.  Some so disgusting and pervasive it made me want to throw up.  And in many, or most cases the public never knows about it.  They are simple branded as evil.  And they are, but there is a reason, and unless we understand why, it won't be fixed. 

 

Any time we are disrespectful, we could be adding to the dangerous fire burning in someones belly.  I am Agnostic, but the words attributed to Jesus is the key to many world problems.  "Love your neighbor as yourself."  The truth is the truth, where ever you find it.  The Bible has a lot of crap, but there are some valuable truths there.

 

So, if you want to help prevent more violence in the world, treat everyone you meet with respect.  Remember that what goes around, comes around, and sometimes it comes back stronger than what was sent out, as when bullied students get fed up, and get revenge.  And while I am preaching, the next time you want to belittle someone, tell yourself,  "except for the chance of birth, there go I". 

 

I know you didn't ask for all of this, and it is not all directed at you, but I got on a roll about a subject I feel very strongly about.  HA!  my sermon for the evening.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
10 hours ago, Weezer said:

 

You are right.  And most people who turn out okay had a good influence somewhere in their lives.  Some have virtually none.  Then throw in the factor of brain damage, or early neglect and deprivation which impairs the ability to bond with others, and It becomes a very complex issue.  I have worked with criminals, child abusers, mentally ill, etc.  In almost every case there was some kind of abuse and neglect.  Some so disgusting and pervasive it made me want to throw up.  And in many, or most cases the public never knows about it.  They are simple branded as evil.  And they are, but there is a reason, and unless we understand why, it won't be fixed. 

 

Any time we are disrespectful, we could be adding to the dangerous fire burning in someones belly.  I am Agnostic, but the words attributed to Jesus is the key to many world problems.  "Love your neighbor as yourself."  The truth is the truth, where ever you find it.  The Bible has a lot of crap, but there are some valuable truths there.

 

So, if you want to help prevent more violence in the world, treat everyone you meet with respect.  Remember that what goes around, comes around, and sometimes it comes back stronger than what was sent out, as when bullied students get fed up, and get revenge.  And while I am preaching, the next time you want to belittle someone, tell yourself,  "except for the chance of birth, there go I". 

 

I know you didn't ask for all of this, and it is not all directed at you, but I got on a roll about a subject I feel very strongly about.  HA!  my sermon for the evening.

 

 

I feel exactly the same way. When I meet shitty people, I tend to contemplate what could have made them that way. Because I don't think anyone is born that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I feel exactly the same way. When I meet shitty people, I tend to contemplate what could have made them that way. Because I don't think anyone is born that way. 

 

I have to really work at it.  Tend to be sarcastic, and have to preach to myself at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw a news article that said the deputy was in the building wnen the shooting started, and went outside.  VERY hard to understand.  He definitely was not up to the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Geezer said:

The deputy Sheriff assigned as a security officer at the Florida School where 17 died not respond to the shooting or made any attempt to engage the shooter. He stayed outside and watched. 

 

He has resigned from the Sheriff's Dept & may face charges.

 

A couple years ago a school pd officer in my town blew away a kid threatening other kids with a knife. The public was up in arms about the officer's actions. Why didn't he use a taser!!! People are never happy. :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The officer in question turns out to be a 30 year veteran. I'm just speculating but I wonder if he was thinking that he was ready to retire & he decided getting killed in the line of duty, after serving 30 years, wasn't the way he wanted to end his career.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.