Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Florida School Security Officer Didn't Respond

I don't believe there is any legal obligation for a police officer (or anyone) to die to save the life of someone else.  We just like the idea of the sort of heroes.  It gives us comfort.  That's kind of the idea behind arming everyone.  We imagine that insane people aren't stupid enough to attack a well armed force, which is insane in and of itself, and we also imagine these heroes will emerge from the well-armed force, which may or may not actually occur.

mwc

6 hours ago, mwc said:

I don't believe there is any legal obligation for a police officer (or anyone) to die to save the life of someone else.  We just like the idea of the sort of heroes.

That may be part of it too, now that it's been mentioned.

When I was an active volunteer in the German St. John's ambulance, one of the most basic things hammered into our heads was that "We don't want no fucking heroes. The law doesn't want to fucking heroes. You'll help exactly no one if you're lying in your own blood next to the patient." We made it a ritual to watch those typical "our heroes in the EMT/police/fire department" TV shows before our weekly meeting at the HQ and mock all the idiocy. 

"First of all, protect yourself. Do not run into danger. If you do, you're dead - if the danger doesn't kill you our boss will." That was about what was taught to us every moment. Now admittedly one can expect that an armed guard takes some more risk but really... can you fairly expect from anyone that they boldly, knowingly risk their own life for anything? They wanna live just as much as we do. It's easy to blame someone for not putting their lives on the line if it's their life and not ours...

There is no legal requirement for anyone to put their life at risk to help anyone, but military personnel are required to follow orders & putting your life at risk is part of the job discription for police officers.

My son is a first responder. As a paramedic he waits for the police to clear & secure a crime scene, as a fireman it's his job to enter a burning building to save someone that's trapped or unconscious. 

Therefore, there are are jobs that do required people to put their life on the line in the performance of their duties. And the officer in the Florida school shooting failed to do his job. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/23/2018 at 12:31 AM, Weezer said:

I am Agnostic, but the words attributed to Jesus is the key to many world problems.  "Love your neighbor as yourself."  The truth is the truth, where ever you find it.  The Bible has a lot of crap, but there are some valuable truths there.

What makes you think that these people who are doing the shootings are not loving others as they love themselves? 

A mind of madness can easily understand that quote to mean the opposite of what a healthy mind would. 

Same goes for the do unto others quote. If you like inflicting pain upon yourself and you read the Bible where it says that, it's easily understood that you are to inflict pain upon other people.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

What makes you think that these people who are doing the shootings are not loving others as they love themselves?

You have a good point, but I think you misunderstood my point.  I am saying he was probably a shooter because he wasn't "loved" (nurtured properly) as a child.

I am not in favor of arming teachers, or anything like that.

It does occur to me however, that if this guy had found the gumption to enter the building and then just fired his weapon, even at the ceiling out of sight of the shooter, some lives might have been spared. The shooter would have known an armed person was in the building and perhaps fled the scene. We will never know. I am trying hard not to be too judgmental on the officer, but those are my thoughts.  

13 hours ago, Stamps1962 said:

if this guy had found the gumption to enter the building and then just fired his weapon, even at the ceiling out of sight of the shooter, some lives might have been spared.

Possible.

Or the shooter might have gone nuts perceiving that the hunters have arrived much earlier than planned, and tried to get an even larger body count. We'll never know indeed.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:27 AM, Stamps1962 said:

I am not in favor of arming teachers, or anything like that.

It does occur to me however, that if this guy had found the gumption to enter the building and then just fired his weapon, even at the ceiling out of sight of the shooter, some lives might have been spared. The shooter would have known an armed person was in the building and perhaps fled the scene. We will never know. I am trying hard not to be too judgmental on the officer, but those are my thoughts.  

You are assuming the shooter is a rational person at this point and has a vested interest in their life.

• Thanks 1

Topical important legislative mention: Warren v. District of Columbia

Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) is an oft-quoted[2] District of Columbia Court of Appeals case that held that the police do not owe a specific duty to provide police services to citizens based on the public duty doctrine.

Here is landmark case in uS Korts that decided that Police have no obligation to protect individuals.    Reading is much more extensive.

kL

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.