Goodbye Jesus

Therapy

surferdude

Hey guys and gals! Life is weird right now. This isn't the first time I've been in this place. Usually it's when I'm in a growth phase and I'm resisting cause I'm scared of the worst case senerio. Thankfully I'm not in a bad place so I'm extremely grateful for that. I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive family. 

I have OCD and general Anxiety. I'm pretty medicated, but thankfully no noticeable side effects. 

I will be going back into therapy next Month. I need help to get me through this. I have 2 therapist lined up. Even though I haven't been been a  Christian in a very long time and don't consider myself a believer. I still have a couple of things that are Religious based that bother me. It's interfering with my life to an extent.

In the past I have made a big deal about if my therapist is a Christian.  It's sabatoged me in the past. The people I have chosen in the past are professionals. If I'm to get though these issues I need to trust like I've never trusted before otherwise it's not gonna work. 

I asked one of the therapist I have lined up if she's a Christian. This is what she said. 

Hi Casey, I have worked with many clients who struggle with scrupulosity or religious obsessions, including those who struggle with Christianity-based obsessions.  I am not at all concerned with these issues causing me stress or harm, and I am not concerned about any conflicts with my own beliefs.   

I am wondering if any of you guys would have issue or would care about about your Psychologists beliefs? 

I know it's not about them it's about me. But id like to hear what you guys have to say. Thank you very much!

The first thing that occurred to me is that she didn't give a yes or no answer to your question.  And it is interesting that she focused on whether therapy with you would cause HER any stress or harm, or conflicts.  Are you comfortable with her answer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

The first thing that occurred to me is that she didn't give a yes or no answer to your question.  And it is interesting that she focused on whether therapy with you would cause HER any stress or harm, or conflicts.  Are you comfortable with her answer?

Sorry Weezee this is the email I sent her. Now I realize I wasn't descriptive enough in my post. 

Thank you for the quick reply!  Just FYI. I emailed you 2 days ago via psychology today's website. And I didn't get a reply. I'm not sure if you are receiving emails via psychology today. Thank you for sliding your fees I really appreciate it!

I prefer mornings anyway so that would work great! Even typing this email is making me a little anxious! Ugh!

I have some religious dogma issues. I haven't been a Christian since I was 18 years old. I've had some religious obsessions Almost all my life. It usually has to do with right and wrong. And worrying  About whether I'm  doing something right or not. It puts me in a lot of distress over my life. The thing that's funny is I'm not a Christian anymore and these things still bother me.

Question is are you a Christian? Are you deeply religious?  I guess my worry is that if I work with a therapist That is Christian. That somehow working through these issues would be going against your beliefs. And makes me anxious that I might be putting You in a position that could be harmful. And it would be my fault. Does that make sense? Yay! Welcome to my world! Lol!

I really know I can get better. It's trusting the process and staying out my head that is the problem. I need To be OK with anything and everything bad happening for me to get better. 

Thanks for taking the time to read. I'll make my decision in the next email.

Now I see why she answered as she did.  If you are comfortable with her, give it a try.  Best wishes!

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Now I see why she answered as she did.  If you are comfortable with her, give it a try.  Best wishes!

Thanks Weezer! Any additional input? Would you feel comfortable based on the information?

You need to be sure that her solution to your problems isn't more Christianity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yunea said:

You need to be sure that her solution to your problems isn't more Christianity. 

The moment she starts on that road isn't a breach of professional conduct?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The moment she starts on that road isn't a breach of professional conduct?

Yes, it would be.

On 2/23/2018 at 11:07 PM, surferdude said:

Thanks Weezer!  Would you feel comfortable based on the information?

I would rather not give you a yes or no answer.  I encourage you to trust your your own thoughts and feelings, and act on them.  Use your brain and learn to trust your "gut" feeling.  Continually relying on other people's answers keeps you dependent on others.  

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

Yes, it would be.

I would rather not give you a yes or no answer.  I encourage you to trust your your own thoughts and feelings, and act on them.  Use your brain and learn to trust your "gut" feeling.  Continually relying on other people's answers keeps you dependent on others.  

You are so right! Thank you!