Thoughts on Jack Chick?

18 minutes ago, Lucy said:

They made a movie of the Dark Dungeons one.

I know.  I own a copy.  If you're a gamer it's absolutely hilarious.  The interviews on the other hand... I don't know if they're in on the joke or not.  The only was they could procure the license was to take the tract seriously, which they did, plus the addition of Cthulhu, for some reason I don't get except for the why the fuck not train of thought.  If you're going to be ridiculous, you may as well go for broke.  The owners of the original material wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Sounds like prime Rifftrax material.

• Like 1

Obligatory...

18lsagndf99hgpng.png

18lsagndhvbsqpng.png

18lsagndjhepxpng.png

• Like 2

I remember one I read when I was a kid where a saved man went to heaven but was chastised by God and reminded of the people he didn't witness to who died and went to hell. I can remember feeling a twinge of guilt that people could literally suffer eternally because I didn't tell them about Jesus, and their torment would be on me.

A couple of years ago I found one while digging through stuff at my parents' house that said psychology was evil and group therapy was a tool of Satan. Yeeesh.

On 01/03/2018 at 1:56 AM, ShotoManhattan said:

There was another tract I remember that was just bad to read and I wanted to punch someone in the face after reading it. It was one where an old missionary couple were doing missions in Africa for decades and were taking a flight home along with a recently paroled criminal sitting next to them on the plane. The couple believed in works to be saved while the criminal just said specific words to accept Jesus. The plane crashes into the sea and everyone dies. The criminal gets to go to heaven while the missionary couple gets chastised by the faceless God and sent to Hell all because they didn't say a specific phrase despite spreading the Word of Christ in Africa for some time.

Oh my god!!! The ultimate works or faith challenge! 

"Faith without works is dead"

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."

Christianity is just utter crap! I can't believe all this mindless words used to make sense to me! I used to worship the bible. 

• Like 1

I had to repost because I went back and looked at the scary ones and sad one and EEECK!!!! I forgot. I have almost every one and collected them as a kid. But after going and looking at them, I am wondering why these were let into the hands of kids. Someone else posted how scared they were and how certain ones made them sad. The one about the little girl and the kids that were beaten up and killed by their caretakers.....UM THAT MIGHT BE A BIT HARSH FOR KIDS. But, being cartoon, a lot of kids read these. In fact, I wonder if MOSTLY these were read by kids? Adults just laughed at them. DId anyone say they got save Through CHICK? Maybe they did........dang scary.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, RachelSkates said:

I had to repost because I went back and looked at the scary ones and sad one and EEECK!!!! I forgot. I have almost every one and collected them as a kid. But after going and looking at them, I am wondering why these were let into the hands of kids. Someone else posted how scared they were and how certain ones made them sad. The one about the little girl and the kids that were beaten up and killed by their caretakers.....UM THAT MIGHT BE A BIT HARSH FOR KIDS. But, being cartoon, a lot of kids read these. In fact, I wonder if MOSTLY these were read by kids? Adults just laughed at them. DId anyone say they got save Through CHICK? Maybe they did........dang scary.

I have often wondered that, as well -- just how many people were actually "led to Christ" by the goldang'd things?

1 hour ago, Burnedout said:

I found his tracts and comics entertaining in a morbid kind of way.  Nothing profound or scary, kind of like watching a car wreck.  

My assessment, exactly!