austere

The role of the Trinity

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, end3 said:

John 10:30?

It's like saying "Me and you are in sync" Then later down the track.

 

31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’[d]? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 

 

"You are gods"

 

I don't mind being a god, do you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.



25 minutes ago, theanticrash said:

It's like saying "Me and you are in sync" Then later down the track.

 

31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’[d]? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 

 

"You are gods"

 

I don't mind being a god, do you?

 

I think it Jesus also claims that he was set apart, no?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, end3 said:

Just saying you obviously believe your source...

My sources are the Bible, Tertullian's writings and what others wrote about him. You know, actual history and facts. BTW, he viewed the trinity as three separate entities, not a triune god as people generally believe today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, end3 said:

Well, upon death I expect we will either return to worm dirt or be witness to something else.  One vote worm dirt noted.  Please dip you finger in the purple ink on the way out..

 

 

1 hour ago, end3 said:

Just saying you obviously believe your source...

 

 

One statement has nothing to do with the other.  Look, it is fine if you want to have a nonsensical religion but please try to communicate coherent thoughts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mymistake said:

 

 

 

One statement has nothing to do with the other.  Look, it is fine if you want to have a nonsensical religion but please try to communicate coherent thoughts.

Well, regardless of what I post, Florduh made a declarative statement essentially saying that any other input was pointless.  My first statement was addressing his lack of interest in anyone else's opinion.  To the latter, it again affirms he believes only in his understanding.  Again, coherent.  And I'm a little cynical.  Obviously I am ignorant regarding the history of the trinity, but reading a little, I don't know that I would credit Tertullian with "developing" a trinity doctrine, but more of an assessment/description.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, end3 said:

I think it Jesus also claims that he was set apart, no?

 

I don't know dude, your the one who believes in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, end3 said:

Yes, apparently.  Wasn't there the thing that preachers/ministers say that if God said it three times, that was significant.  Has been too long.

 

And it also is compassionate that God allows for our dichotomy.

 

 

Well I don't know what your religion is anymore End, but it doesn't seem to be Biblical Christianity. Esoteric Philosophical Christianity maybe, but that's not what the Bible describes, is it? Isn't it true that without the Bible there is no Christianity? According to the Bible, God allows no dichotomy. It's his way or the highway (to guess where).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, end3 said:

Well, regardless of what I post, Florduh made a declarative statement essentially saying that any other input was pointless.  My first statement was addressing his lack of interest in anyone else's opinion.  To the latter, it again affirms he believes only in his understanding.  

 

Uh no.  Florduh is not like that.  You are just not very good at conveying ideas.  Sorry but the problem is on your side of the conversation.

 

 

2 hours ago, end3 said:

Again, coherent.

 

It means consistent, clear, understandable.

 

2 hours ago, end3 said:

And I'm a little cynical.  Obviously I am ignorant regarding the history of the trinity, but reading a little, I don't know that I would credit Tertullian with "developing" a trinity doctrine, but more of an assessment/description.

 

 

Generally we rely on experts to determine such matters.  Look I know there is this one myth that is your very favorite one and you like to pretend it is real but you have no facts that show it holds water.  So the best anybody else can do is humor you.  We can ask you about the way you customize Christianity.  But you are never going to make the ideas pop out of the imagination and into reality.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theanticrash said:

I don't know dude, your the one who believes in it.

yeah, it was in the verse you quoted but was left out....js

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mymistake said:

 

Uh no.  Florduh is not like that.  You are just not very good at conveying ideas.  Sorry but the problem is on your side of the conversation.

 

 

 

It means consistent, clear, understandable.

 

 

 

Generally we rely on experts to determine such matters.  Look I know there is this one myth that is your very favorite one and you like to pretend it is real but you have no facts that show it holds water.  So the best anybody else can do is humor you.  We can ask you about the way you customize Christianity.  But you are never going to make the ideas pop out of the imagination and into reality.

 

 

I'm not good at fleshing out my statements so others may pick up the conversation.  Imo, Florduh makes these type statements that observers can garner confidence is an affirming opinion.....i.e. he is a "leader" that "knows" here at Ex C.....becoming a calming affect for those traumatized by Christianity.

 

Regarding clarity, I can try harder to write with more description.

 

Lol, your last statement is somewhat humorous MM.  And I want you to know that I appreciate our conversations more, thanks to your efforts, than I did a few years ago.  But I must say that we don't understand a LOT.  Was watching a Med Ted Talk the other day where the guy found out that part of a chemical mechanism was attributed to a signal from the brain....electricity.  (if I am remembering the story sufficiently)  It opens up research to a HUGE new realm.  So I don't know how you can say my custom Christianity is anything less that what is there....or not relevant. 

 

Again, our level of understanding how things are related could actually be very real as described by my anecdotal evidence suggests.  My latest is prayer may be like gravity. 

 

But again, I appreciate your humoring me....I enjoy the conversations.  And when we are old, maybe we can say, yeah, I visited with this one SOB that thought....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, end3 said:

yeah, it was in the verse you quoted but was left out....js

It's like you're talking in another language. But Christians are supposed to breakdown every lofty argument that set's itself against God, not talk an unintelligible way that no one can understand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2018 at 7:17 AM, theanticrash said:

I think it would, If you took away Jesus from the Godhead.

 

Jesus has to be apart of the Godhead otherwise Christianity isn't Christianity.

 hmmmm... that's potentially a good point. However couldn't he still be a divine son? That's still a pretty dang good sacrifice.

 

Admittedly I'm coming at this from the perspective of always having prayed to god, not Jesus. Within the context of my own faith it felt weird to pray to the son and not the father.

 

@end3, thanks for your response. I'm also curious as to whether you think your faith or how you live your life would have to change much if hypothetically you discovered the Trinity was a false concept.

 

Personally I know a lot of people don't think the Trinity makes sense but to me it's one of the least troublesome things about the religion. It's very similar to the maiden/mother/crone aspects of goddess worship, which I had no trouble getting my head around when I heard about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So woah, i forgot to refresh the page before posting that last comment and a whole lot happened in the meantime!

 

11 hours ago, end3 said:

So I don't know how you can say my custom Christianity is anything less that what is there....or not relevant.

Considering you can make the Bible say whatever you want, unless end has specifically stated somewhere that they are a biblical literalist, we might have to give them this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 7:50 AM, austere said:

So woah, i forgot to refresh the page before posting that last comment and a whole lot happened in the meantime!

 

Considering you can make the Bible say whatever you want, unless end has specifically stated somewhere that they are a biblical literalist, we might have to give them this one.

 

Definitely he is the opposite of a Biblical literalist.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 11:36 PM, end3 said:

My latest is prayer may be like gravity

Exactly.  It falls straight back down to the ground.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, end3 said:

John 10:30?

     It's so clear now.  And easy too.

 

     I, mwc, and god are also one.  Therefore, *I* am part of this godhead you revere.  Because I said it it is so.

 

     I love things that become reality because they're written down somewhere.

 

          mwc

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mwc said:

     It's so clear now.  And easy too.

 

     I, mwc, and god are also one.  Therefore, *I* am part of this godhead you revere.  Because I said it it is so.

 

     I love things that become reality because they're written down somewhere.

 

          mwc

 

 

Remember, there is no Bible verse that uses the word "trinity" nor any Bible verse that limits it to only three.  The New Testament revealed that God the Spirit and God the Son were one with God the Father.  But that doesn't mean there won't be a New New-Testament that reveals there are more people who are also one with God the Father, God the Son and God the Spirit.

 

I'm rooting for the Warrior, Smith, Maiden, Mother, Crone and Stranger.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mymistake said:

I'm rooting for the Warrior, Smith, Maiden, Mother, Crone and Stranger.

     Hey, let's not turn this very serious bible business into some sort of Game.

 

          mwc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now