Goodbye Jesus

Race Relations and Religion

L.B.

Would a religion that insisted upon the dignity of all races and restitution for wrongs be more compelling to you if you were looking into a belief system?

I think we can assume that while individual Christians may or may not be racist, Christianity as an entity has shown itself over the centuries to be the domain of white xenophobic manifest-destiny types.

From the ouster of Jewish leadership in "Messianic" synagogues centuries ago in favor of Gentile leaders, to the introduction of Aryan/Caucasian goddess-worship (in the form of the 'Virgin Mary" cult), to the present-day culture of right-wing-evangelical Christianity being a haven for neo-Nazism and other forms of bigotry, the so-called religion of "Jesus" has been something almost entirely alien to the people who are described in the Bible.

I'm curious to know if Christianity's absolutely abysmal record in regard to racism, slavery, etc was a contributing factor to your deconversion.

Oh, and Christians on this forum, PLEASE don't talk to me about the liberal anti-slavery movement in America as a defense of Christianity. Those people HAPPENED to be Christians; they were raised in the religion that their nation and culture dictated. There were far greater numbers of Christians who DID support slavery and racism than there ever were (or are) who oppose(d) it.

You'll get more replies if you post this in ExChristian Life, just sayin'

Hey mods, can somebody move this, please?

@florduh

2 hours ago, L.B. said:

Would a religion that insisted upon the dignity of all races and restitution for wrongs be more compelling to you if you were looking into a belief system?

I think we can assume that while individual Christians may or may not be racist, Christianity as an entity has shown itself over the centuries to be the domain of white xenophobic manifest-destiny types.

From the ouster of Jewish leadership in "Messianic" synagogues centuries ago in favor of Gentile leaders, to the introduction of Aryan/Caucasian goddess-worship (in the form of the 'Virgin Mary" cult), to the present-day culture of right-wing-evangelical Christianity being a haven for neo-Nazism and other forms of bigotry, the so-called religion of "Jesus" has been something almost entirely alien to the people who are described in the Bible.

I'm curious to know if Christianity's absolutely abysmal record in regard to racism, slavery, etc was a contributing factor to your deconversion.

Oh, and Christians on this forum, PLEASE don't talk to me about the liberal anti-slavery movement in America as a defense of Christianity. Those people HAPPENED to be Christians; they were raised in the religion that their nation and culture dictated. There were far greater numbers of Christians who DID support slavery and racism than there ever were (or are) who oppose(d) it.

@L.B. I'm so glad you brought this up! I'm an African American whose deconversion had a lot to do with the white supremacy that is inherent in modern American Christianity. I tried again and again to give Christianity a chance, and this is the very thing that sent me running away almost every time. And now white Christians are by and large in on this "take our country back (from the black and brown people)" and supporting racist policies. It's a shame.

I have thought about being a Unitarian Universalist because they are vocal and active in matters of social justice. However, there isn't a lot of ethnic diversity in those congregations either. It's strange.

• Super Moderator

Christianity is by definition an exclusive religion. The easiest and therefore first place people look to exclude someone is race. American Christianity created a perfect storm for sowing division.

2 minutes ago, florduh said:

Christianity is by definition an exclusive religion. The easiest and therefore first place people look to exclude someone is race. American Christianity created a perfect storm for sowing division.

I certainly agree with your statement, but I would also add that humans are divisive by nature. We generally want to be a part of a group, and the more "exclusive" the better. Tensions arise anytime someone (or some group) is different. Skin color is likely the easiest way people are divided, because you can "size them up" before you even get to know them. 

I think that no matter how hard you try, there will always be a "different" group or person.

8 hours ago, L.B. said:

It would seem nicer. I don't think it would necessarily be more compelling.

In principle, a religion could be nice and true, nice and not true, true and not nice, or not nice and not true. Christianity is not nice and not true, but the fact that it isn't true is independent of the fact that it isn't nice. A hypothetical religion which insisted upon racial equality would be nice. But it would still need to be shown to be true in order for it to be compelling.

8 hours ago, L.B. said:

Let's just say I was extremely uncomfortable with racist comments and attitudes that were quite common in my church. I tended to see ignorance and lack of education as the cause of this, rather than religion. However, I do think the religion certainly contributed to ignorance and lack of education.

Why would we need a religion that insisted upon the dignity of all races and restitution for wrongs? Why not just insist on them within the spheres of secular organizations? That's what humanism is focused on, there are many secular organizations that insist on these. Belief systems/religion tend to lead to group think, and discourage critical thinking and differences of opinion. I think these are two things are critical to progress.