Goodbye Jesus

my thoughts for today

shelleymak6376

1 minute ago, DestinyTurtle said:

Man, you handled that gracefully! Kudos!

Lol, she's an expert coming from that last job....

1 minute ago, end3 said:

Lol, she's an expert coming from that last job....

Wow... just wow. On second thought I'm glad you're here. You're a great example of a Christian! :)

• Like 1

It is completely fine to speak your mind about how Christianity wrecks everything. Christianity is a mental prison based on a foundation of shame, fear and guilt that can be difficult to escape. This forum is a safe place where your choice to leave Christianity should not be challenged by Christians who are still under its spell. IMO, at least.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, midniterider said:

It is completely fine to speak your mind about how Christianity wrecks everything. Christianity is a mental prison based on a foundation of shame, fear and guilt that can be difficult to escape. This forum is a safe place where your choice to leave Christianity should not be challenged by Christians who are still under its spell. IMO, at least.

I don't know how you interpreted my remark about her being an expert M.  I can imagine the things said to a minister and their spouse in that job.  I expect she has had to smile and not say much back in those days when she would rather have said something......just part of the job.

Also, the collective here is most always about advancing reality.  It's realistic to think that the job took a inordinate amount of personal time, and with not much pay.  And I'm sad that there is a marriage and children? involved in this that didn't work out.  But I don't see it as a gleeful, look, I've found a group to support a failed marriage, high potential for damaged children, and then blame Christianity for putting those things right out there in front for all to see when entering event. 

I shall now exit back to my designated area.  Apologies for violating the rules. 

1 hour ago, end3 said:

One, people have enough difficulty tithing even when they feel good.  And I think the Bible mentions several times "the pay ain't good".  Why is her story not a reflection of the truth, the truth that the job doesn't pay well.   Two, and I've done it too, we rationalize a position based on our situation.  Everyone has accused everyone of this.  I'm just saying that it seems that Christianity became the thing to blame because it was the object that split the relationship....or at least that is what I am understanding.  And my use of scapegoat was fine.  Thx.

The Pope is one of the richest men on Earth.  He wears gold.  He has a golden throne.  The Catholic church accumulates wealth while masquerading as a charity.  Mother Teresa was portrayed as helping the poor selflessly while she collected millions for charity but her answer was to let the sick die without treatment because "suffering is spiritual".  Where did the millions she collect go?  I blame Christianity because the scam deserves the blame.

Take your apologetics back to the Lion's Den where it belongs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mymistake said:

The Pope is one of the richest men on Earth.  He wears gold.  He has a golden throne.  The Catholic church accumulates wealth while masquerading as a charity.  Mother Teresa was portrayed as helping the poor selflessly while she collected millions for charity but her answer was to let the sick die without treatment because "suffering is spiritual".  Where did the millions she collect go?  I blame Christianity because the scam deserves the blame.

Take your apologetics back to the Lion's Den where it belongs.

Ahh...if you make too much money in Christianity it's a scam.  If you don't make enough, it's make believe and unreal...  And AR-15's are out there killing people on their own...

27 minutes ago, end3 said:

Ahh...if you make too much money in Christianity it's a scam.  If you don't make enough, it's make believe and unreal...   

This is Shelleymak's thread.  Let's respect that.  If you want to start a new thread in the Lion's Den I will be happy to talk about this or any other topic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, end3 said:

I don't know how you interpreted my remark about her being an expert M.  I can imagine the things said to a minister and their spouse in that job.  I expect she has had to smile and not say much back in those days when she would rather have said something......just part of the job.

Also, the collective here is most always about advancing reality.  It's realistic to think that the job took a inordinate amount of personal time, and with not much pay.  And I'm sad that there is a marriage and children? involved in this that didn't work out.  But I don't see it as a gleeful, look, I've found a group to support a failed marriage, high potential for damaged children, and then blame Christianity for putting those things right out there in front for all to see when entering event. 

I shall now exit back to my designated area.  Apologies for violating the rules. 

No, I wasn't thinking about the 'expert' post. I was more concerned with 'finding purpose' without Jesus and using 'Christianity as a scapegoat'. We all have biases, of course. My bias is against Christianity and supporting someone to transition to a non-Christian life.

I don't think a Christian apologist can be very helpful to support someone exiting Christianity. You're a good guy though, End. :) Ok, it's Shelley's thread. I'll stop derailing it now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, end3 said:

Ahh...if you make too much money in Christianity it's a scam.  If you don't make enough, it's make believe and unreal...  And AR-15's are out there killing people on their own...

I think it's a scam because it tells you that an invisible entity--one none of us, Christian or not, have ever seen--is more important than your family, whom you are charged with providing for and raising. At the end of the day, no matter how much you pray, it will be yourself, or another human, who will do whatever work is required. Take the case of a person who has cancer: if they beat cancer, it won't be because the invisible entity rained down blessings. It will be because of highly trained doctors, nurses, surgeons, medical science, and one's own perseverance. 

I'll go so far as to say "God" isn't a tangible entity known by a single person on this earth. Yet "his" followers will undoubtedly substitute their own idolatry for reality when reality is uncomfortable. THAT is why Christianity is a scam.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shelleymak6376 said:

@Deathportal365  Oh no worries at all - but thank you for the condolences also!    And yes, I have heard that quite a bit.  "She is healed now.  She is no longer suffering."   I was brought up to believe that we give god the glory in ALL situations.  So no matter if something good happens (healing) or something bad (death)... we praise god and thank him for his goodness and faithfulness and mercy, etc etc.  Now that I am no longer a Christian, I look back and think that makes no sense at all.  Why am I thanking him for his mercy when he was clearly unmerciful with regards to my sister.  She was 12.  What horrible thing could she have done at that point in her life to not deserve mercy?  But Christians have such awesome responses such as "well we will never fully understand why he chose to take her to heaven"... "but it is because of sin in the world, that's why she had cancer to begin with".  If there was no sin in the world, we would all be perfect.  No death, no sickness.   But because of Adam & Eve's choices, we do have sin & thus all of the problems in the world.  Those are things I heard growing up.  So basically sin is the reason for everything "bad" in this world and god may or may not choose to intervene.  We can petition through prayer but that doesn't mean he will fix the problem.  And regardless, we are still to praise him & give him thanks.  

SMH - I can't.

It's so ridiculous writing it out & actually listening to myself & the things I used to believe...

lol

7 hours ago, shelleymak6376 said:

Seriously! I think back on some of the stuff I used to say and believe and cringe. Here's a good one: the ol' Pascal's wager: "I'd rather spend my whole life believing there is a god and find out there isn't than live my whole life believing there isn't a god and find out there is."

At this point, I'm like, if there is an all-powerful god, just make yourself plainly known. Not this fuzzy crap about cultivating a relationship, or studying his "instruction" manual and finding the "right church." Funnily enough, I went to a Southern Baptist college for undergrad and the old joke was that "the Word" was slang for your pillow. So "studying the word" on Sunday was sleeping in during church!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Deathportal365 said:

Seriously! I think back on some of the stuff I used to say and believe and cringe. Here's a good one: the ol' Pascal's wager: "I'd rather spend my whole life believing there is a god and find out there isn't than live my whole life believing there isn't a god and find out there is."

At this point, I'm like, if there is an all-powerful god, just make yourself plainly known. Not this fuzzy crap about cultivating a relationship, or studying his "instruction" manual and finding the "right church." Funnily enough, I went to a Southern Baptist college for undergrad and the old joke was that "the Word" was slang for your pillow. So "studying the word" on Sunday was sleeping in during church!

hahaha love it.  I'm going to go "study the word" right now!  :)  

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!  Thank you (my ex-christian peeps) for your support and encouragement, kind words & for sticking up for me, my thoughts & feelings!   Thankfully, there is an "ignore user" option on this forum.  Hate to use it, but I'm not here to argue. :wub:  

• Like 1