Goodbye Jesus

A solution so easy even I thought of it

Hedge_Rat

So, today I learned that the reason that the Bible god ordered the extermination of Canaanites, Amalekites, etc. was because they were bad people and the Bible's god knew they were going to cause problems for the Israelites in the future, so it was necessary that they be done away with. 

In fact, because these orders were not completely carried out is why we have ISIS and all the problems in the Middle East today! Just look at what their descendants are doing!

I've heard it argued that the reason God couldn't just make them all leave was because it would interfere with free will.... But why couldn't he give them a warning in their dreams and make it extremely vivid or something? If everyone has the exact same dream warning then even if you don't follow that god you're probably going to pack up and leave anyway... I would, and I don't even believe in any gods! I don't see how a dream warning would interfere with free will, either.... they could still choose to disregard it, after all. At least they'd get fair warning.

But that's not the super easy solution I thought of.

Here it is: Why didn't God just make them all infertile?

Nobody has to be murdered, nobody has to murder anyone else, nobody has to watch their friends and family be murdered in front of them, and (for those Israelites who couldn't bring themselves to participate) nobody has to watch their comrades kill anyone in front of them either. Win-win-win.

They live out their lives, they die, and when they die the Israelites can move into the extra room and be fruitful and multiply as much as they want. 

For someone so omniscient and all-powerful, God sure doesn't think outside the box much....

• Like 1

Maybe because god likes watching people slaughter each other in his name? Considering the history of his chosen region it would appear so.

• Thanks 1

I can't find the exact passage, because my Google-Fu is weak and I'm tired, but if I remember correctly God allowed some of the Canaanite tribes to survive so future generations would know war.  Ergo war in the Middle East until they blow each other and the Jews up.

Amalekites???  Who?  What?  When?  How?  I have no memory of the Amalekites.

mwc

• Like 1

That's not even Biblical. The Bible doesn't say the Jews were to kill everyone in all of the lands around them. They were only to kill the people in the lands they were taking over.

• Like 1

When you read through the Old Testament imagine how the stories would turn out if the United States (with 21st century technology)  had a military base close by and a vested interest in the outcome. 

Judges 1:19

"The LORD was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had chariots fitted with iron."

So the American commander called in an air strike . . . no more iron chariots.

God is powerless.

Edit:

Does it work with God ordering the extermination of Canaanites and Amalekites?

The US President declared all Canaanites and Amalekites are terrorists and enemy combatants.  The American commander called in an entire wing of of B-52s to carpet bomb.  The survivors were rounded up and taken to Gitmo.  They were never seen again.

Yep, God is powerless.

• Like 1

People only have one idea of God. Loving. But the verses show a different story. I dated a man who said he loved me and would punch me in my face or slap me or kick me. I kept thinking he loved me. I thought he just lost control. But one day,he began to do it, took a break, and came back to finish up. That was when I realized it was not losing control. 

Yes, Ia m stupid, but how stupider am I than someone who thinks God is love when he will enjoy the burning of the souls in hell, like smoke rising up to greet him? Am I really stupider than people who believe that God wiped out a whole race when he could have just sterilized them. Am I really stupidier than people who think God has a right to punish people he will not fix, making them "good"? 

I would say I am not stupider. 

• Like 1