Goodbye Jesus

Old topic, new casualty

Karna

On 4/10/2018 at 12:55 AM, Wertbag said:

My uncle was an atheist and he married a christian. At first they agreed to leave each to their own and basically avoid the subject. That worked for a couple of years until children entered the picture. She wanted them sent to christian schools while he preferred public, she wanted them to go to church but he wanted the kids to choose, she wanted to tithe while he thought they were too poor to give money away.  

Their values didn't match and slowly everything became a battle. For a relationship to work long term you must have values in common.

What you say about values is very wise advice. I suppose it's an easier pill for some to swallow than others. I take a pretty intellectual approach to relationships at all levels and tend not to get very emotional (I imagine my wife must hate this about me), so it's hard for me to understand things like the abject heartbreak that Karna is describing. Alas it happens to a lot of people.

For all the bad press religion gets for forcing arbitrary labels on people, the labels do help as a sort of value summary. When someone says they are a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc., you at least have some idea of what you're going to get. This is why it seems to me that interfaith relationships are generally not the best idea. Or as everyone's favorite Apostle Paul would say "do not be unequally yoked."

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.