Goodbye Jesus

Is hell good or bad?

quinntar

Thumbelina, even if disbelief was faith (Pro tip #1:  It isn't!) I vastly prefer it to your idea of faith.  I have always seen your god and the Bible stories as fictional, and I don't expect that to change.

Your god, if it exists, knows what we will find convincing.  (Pro tip #2:  Your testimony is not it.)

Rail at us all you like.  It won't save you when you reach the end of your days and your brain dies.  Your fate is identical to ours, and faith has nothing to do with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Astreja said:

Thumbelina, even if disbelief was faith (Pro tip #1:  It isn't!) I vastly prefer it to your idea of faith.  I have always seen your god and the Bible stories as fictional, and I don't expect that to change.

Your god, if it exists, knows what we will find convincing.  (Pro tip #2:  Your testimony is not it.)

Rail at us all you like.  It won't save you when you reach the end of your days and your brain dies.  Your fate is identical to ours, and faith has nothing to do with it.

Hello. Long time no see.

I'm not railing, the bible says Christians shouldn't be railers 😉 😃.

1 hour ago, Thumbelina said:

Look, I am not a scientist but I'm not impressed with or intimidated by high sounding atheistic gobbledygook.  

Are you talking about facts and logic?

1 hour ago, Thumbelina said:

Atheists are trying to disprove God by faith . . . 

This is not true.  Isn't bearing false witness a sin in your religion?

Thumbelina said:

"God did leave a cloud of witnesses & their accounts are written in the bible."

But the Bible looks like it's just a story.  If it is just a story then the witnesses are made up.  See how this is not evidence?  If you want to persuade then where is the evidence that the Bible was more than a made up story?

Thumbelina said:

"Skeptics will believe in the annals of Tacitus & other historical writings but they refuse to believe the biblical narrative."

Correct, because the first has strong supporting evidence but the second doesn't.  See the difference?  Following the evidence is not faith.

Thumbelina said:

"God is selfless, He is meek & lowly; when He declares His supremacy it's not about ego, it's about facts. He alone is innately immortal & holy so when He declares His power it's to preserve & protect His creation; obeying Him implicitly is what will cause peace."

But you are not presenting facts.  Facts are things we can verify.  That is how we know they are facts.  What you list off here are your beliefs about God.  Again the difference between faith and evidence.  Also when the Church ruled the entire Western world and everyone was a Christian the result was not peace.  That is history.  The middle ages were full of wars and conflict.

Thumbelina said:

"Satan & his imps show up as deceased loved ones (many religions think the dead are not really dead) of people. They may show up as extraterrestrials too. Bible believers ought to know that this planet is under quarantine & beings from other worlds, except holy angels, do not come into our sphere. We have a contagion called sin, they can observe us from a distance only (see the account in the book of Job)."

Sounds like you have read C. S. Lewis' space trilogy.  I have as well.  I use to love that author.

Thumbelina said:

"An atheistic high priest said so too:"

You are bearing false witness again.  Is that still a sin?

Thumbelina said:

"Non life producing life is not logical."

Sure it is, if that is the nature of the universe.

Thumbelina said:

"Hawking fails logic and meta-science"

I don't know what you mean by meta-science but you seem to be confused about logic.

Thumbelina said:

"Even the claim that scientists created life in the laboratory, isn't the scientist supposed to just sit back & observe something coming from nothing instead of him being the intelligence manipulating the event?"

I don't think they created life in the lab yet.  But you can't observe anything come from nothing if nothing does not exist.  That is the problem with "something from nothing".  When is there ever nothing?  The concept of nothing might be a myth.

Thumbelina said:

"If one follows atheistic thinking to its logical conclusion it will make one most miserable."

Maybe, but happiness isn't evidence of truth.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 8:16 PM, Thumbelina said:

If one follows atheistic thinking to its logical conclusion it will make one most miserable. This life is too short, many die prematurely & the injustices on this planet is enough to make one lose heart. ... but there is a Creator who loves us & wants to save us.

If one follows Christian thinking to its logical conclusion one will obsess about an imaginary being all day long.

• Like 1

Look, I am not a scientist but I'm not impressed with or intimidated by high sounding atheistic gobbledygook.

I'm not a Christian anymore ... and therefore no longer impressed with or intimidated by high sounding Jesusy/biblical gobbledygook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You sound like Mrs. MOHO.

No one is trying to impress or intimidate - just educate and/or provide an explanation of why we disbelieve. Your's and Mrs. MOHO's responses are akin to ad hominem  attacks.

I know you do this out of fear. 

I know that I was afraid once. Now I just feel free of the mind control that is the main reason for the existence of religion. 

On 5/10/2018 at 12:47 PM, midniterider said:

If one follows Christian thinking to its logical conclusion one will obsess about an imaginary being all day long.

... atheists think & therefore talk about God a LOT 😉.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:13 PM, TrueScotsman said:

Reject atheist gobbledygook, buy my religious gobbledygook about loved ones visiting from the great beyond as extraterrestrials.  As if this person can even pretend to care about logic and evidence.

If supposed loved ones are visiting then those are demons & not loved ones. The bible says the dead know not anything. Check it for YOURSELF. Learn to cross reference too.

5 hours ago, Thumbelina said:

We wouldn't if it were not for Christians trying to force Christianity on everyone else.  When Christians are not active there is no reason for atheists to think about God.  Instead we think about more important things.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thumbelina said:

The ones at ex-c do, at least. Though, lately, politics and other topics  seem to be getting more time on this site. 

Outside of this site though, an atheist relative of mine doesnt even bring up religion. My parents who were atheists/agnostics rarely said anything about god or religion and dad had been a churchgoing Christian as a kid.

8 hours ago, Thumbelina said:

If supposed loved ones are visiting then those are demons & not loved ones. The bible says the dead know not anything. Check it for YOURSELF. Learn to cross reference too.

Another fine Christian obsession ... Satan paranoia. People in the church I attended suffered from that.

32 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Another fine Christian obsession ... Satan paranoia. People in the church I attended suffered from that.

Mine too. The further I get from it all the crazier it appears. 

14 hours ago, midniterider said:

The ones at ex-c do, at least. Though, lately, politics and other topics  seem to be getting more time on this site. 

Outside of this site though, an atheist relative of mine doesnt even bring up religion. My parents who were atheists/agnostics rarely said anything about god or religion and dad had been a churchgoing Christian as a kid.

Bible prophecy says that SADLY, politics & religion would become enmeshed in these last days so I guess soon they'll be back to talking religion 😃.

Your parents are atheistic, then how did you end up a Christian? Hope you don't mind me asking?

25 minutes ago, Thumbelina said:

Bible prophecy says that SADLY, politics & religion would become enmeshed in these last days so I guess soon they'll be back to talking religion 😃.

Your parents are atheistic, then how did you end up a Christian? Hope you don't mind me asking?

Simply, people like you should be fucking dead! In the grave dead.

• 3 months later...

Well from what I hear from xtians all the actual good and fun people are going there. So “heaven” sounds like a irritating, boring place i wouldnt want to be in, even if I believed the xtian nonsense. I mean who would want to spend their eternity in church? I couldnt stand church for 15 mins even when I was a xtian. 

On 3/21/2018 at 12:20 PM, end3 said:

It's all about trust Crash.  God gives progressively easier steps to learn trust.  Hell is the what's left over for those who didn't get the message.  George Bush I, "It's bad....bad".

Trust is earned, not just freely given. 

On 3/21/2018 at 12:24 PM, TrueScotsman said:

In the Christian conception of the world, hell would be the manifestation of god's holy wrath justly executed against sinners.  RC Sproul a famous Reformed theologian, said that those in heaven would weep for joy because they would finally understand the necessity of such justice as they would finally understand god's infinite holiness.  It is a reality which utterly debases everything in the universe of value except that which is derived from god, man only has value because he is created in the image of god, and the suffering of billions is viewed as justified because god created beings who by their nature could do nothing other than fall short of that glory.  The best way to understand the god of the Bible is that he is a glory monster, who will consume all existence to fuel his eternal quest for maximizing his glory even at the expense of the majority of humanity.

“Gawd” sounds like a star, except trying to go supernova. 

On 3/21/2018 at 6:35 PM, end3 said:

You think if Jesus showed up now as He did before, there would be an inkling of belief?  Really?  Isn't this this point of the created with God at the first, then God with His people, then God as someone they could relate to, understand, and now God in ours through Grace.  And you have the mindset that somehow, God should play it over again? 

At what point do we trust, trust other people, and trust God. 

Jesus showed up and asked if I wanted my lawn cut. 

On 3/22/2018 at 11:03 AM, mymistake said:

An omniscient God who chose the consequences . . . .

End you can't get around the fact that your loving God choose that eternal torture would be the consequences when he had the power to skip life on Earth and just create all the saints in heaven where everyone that exists would be perfectly happy for all eternity.

Your God is a monster.

The abrahamic “god” is even beneath a monster. The bible clearly shows that. 

On 3/23/2018 at 12:32 PM, end3 said:

You didn't answer the pertinent question.....is it possible for us to be subjected to evil without choosing evil.

Well you chose to worship or chose to continue to worship a globalcidal(tho there’s no evidence of a global flood, another wonderful bible lie), child killing, innocent murdering, psychopath that creates people only to mentally torture them, and deprive them of life enjoyment(on pain of eternal horrible, vile torture if they do choose to enjoy life).

So you ended up choosing evil. I dont believe in evil, however if your “god” existed it would truly be the definition of evil, unworthy of even a spit in its face, let alone worship.