Goodbye Jesus

Recovering southern baptist

kfarm87

Forgive me if this is rambling, my days mostly consist of anxiety lately.  I'm 30, married, mother of 2 kids, aged 5 and 3.  My husband is also an ex christian but doing considerably better than I am.  Today I'm scouring the web looking for resources.  If anyone has ever searched recovering from sexual assault by a youth minister you'll know that I found lots and lots of christian resources and advice on how you should "minister to a survivor".  I'm reaching out though, so I know I'll be fine.  Some days are better than others, today is not a good one.  I hope joining a forum can allow me to get some of this buried crap out of my head.  I reached out to a therapist through the secular therapy project, fingers crossed that goes somewhere for me.  Thanks to anyone who read this! Resources are greatly appreciated...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kfarm87 said:

Forgive me if this is rambling, my days mostly consist of anxiety lately.  I'm 30, married, mother of 2 kids, aged 5 and 3.  My husband is also an ex christian but doing considerably better than I am.  Today I'm scouring the web looking for resources.  If anyone has ever searched recovering from sexual assault by a youth minister you'll know that I found lots and lots of christian resources and advice on how you should "minister to a survivor".  I'm reaching out though, so I know I'll be fine.  Some days are better than others, today is not a good one.  I hope joining a forum can allow me to get some of this buried crap out of my head.  I reached out to a therapist through the secular therapy project, fingers crossed that goes somewhere for me.  Thanks to anyone who read this! Resources are greatly appreciated...

Welcome kfarm! I'm so glad that you found us.

I don't have anything specifically that would help with your situation, but perhaps others here will be better able to help you out there. I'm always happy to chat though, if you need.

How long have you and your husband been out for?

7 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

Welcome kfarm! I'm so glad that you found us.

I don't have anything specifically that would help with your situation, but perhaps others here will be better able to help you out there. I'm always happy to chat though, if you need.

How long have you and your husband been out for?

Thanks for the reply!  We have been out for about 6 months, my husband probably longer than that but he was afraid to admit it to me for a while.  Then I admitted it to him and he was immediately relieved!  I'm extremely lucky to have him around in my recovery.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, kfarm87 said:

Thanks for the reply!  We have been out for about 6 months, my husband probably longer than that but he was afraid to admit it to me for a while.  Then I admitted it to him and he was immediately relieved!  I'm extremely lucky to have him around in my recovery.

This is for sure! My wife is only nominally a Christian, and was never a fundamentalist. This has made my deconversion experience a hell of a lot easier than it might have been. I know that we have many members here who are unequally yoked, and I don't envy them this complication.

• Like 1

No advice, just hoping your therapy helps & I want to encourage you to stay with that. I was a fundamentalists Christian for 47 years. I think it is worth considering getting therapy that is not Christian based. I think it might be worth it to try a secular therapist just to get a different perspective. 

I was Southern Baptist for 12 years and Church of Christ for 27 years. I've been away from Christianity for several years now. I do not regret leaving  Christianity & cannot imagine ever going back to that craziness ever again.

I'm glad you found this site & I hope you find the information helpful. Dr. Bart Ehrman is a good author to read or watch his YouTube videos for proof that Christianity is just another man made religion. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to update that I did contact a therapist through secular therapy project and she had already gotten back to me this morning.  She's about 2 hours away from where I'm at so she offered to try and connect me with someone else closer.  Working hard to keep moving one foot in front of the other.

Wishing you good luck in your search for a therapist. :woohoo:

Welcome to the forum, @kfarm87.

Sounds like you are on the right path with therapy and finding us. It helps to talk and share with others who have left or are leaving the fold.

In a way I kind of envy part of your situation as I'm on one of the unequally yoked that @disillusioned mentioned. 

My wife is a screaming fundy who is also addicted to religion. I have come out twice as the first time there was so much tension it was unbearable. 

After several months of reading and posting here I regained the strength to man up and come clean again. It's going much better this time. 

- Mind Of His Own