Goodbye Jesus

Not sure..but I’ve had a crazy journey

Nani

As an African American woman I just could not deal with the Bible anymore. There’s so much misogyny and racism. I never read my Bible completely and I did not know of all of the horror stories in there. Everyone mostly said to focus on the NT. So that’s mostly what I did unless visiting passages about the creation of the earth, Moses, how the Israelites came to be, etc. Here is kind of a twist. About a year ago, I sort of “left” Christianity and became a Hebrew Israelite. If you don’t know, Hebrew Israelites are a group of black people who believe they are the true Jews of the Bible. They believe that we are under the curses of Deuteronomy 28 and that’s why black people are under the conditions they are under now. If you’re not familiar with that chapter, it’s basically God telling the Israelites that if they worship Him as he sees fit then He will bless them. If they do not, then he would curse them and it would go on to their children until they follow his laws again. I thought this made sense especially after going over that chapter multiple times to see if things add up. The only way to get into heaven and end these curses were to follow the 613 laws I knew nothing about. So what did I do? I went back to the OT and studied. Some of the laws seemed to simple such as do not sleep with your parents or sibling, don’t steal, all the basics. Then there were things saying how to take captive women as sex slaves, how to beat your slaves, stone women who aren’t virgins. There weren’t similar laws for men. I began to get curious and I remember all of the men and women would just say “men and women aren’t equal” “the Israelites are above else so we can have slaves”. To top it all off, these idiots believe that once we get to heaven, we’ll own other races as slaves. They said they had to go into slavery because of how they treated our people, the Israelites. But let’s not forget, God is the one who put us under curses to go into slavery and gave us to our enemy. A lot of it just didn’t make sense. Then I met this crazy woman who took the Bible seriously. She would tell me that women are slaves and our only purpose is to serve the men of Israel. She has an extreme hatred of women and hates being a woman as we are considered to be the most evil creatures to ever exist (look it up in the apocrypha which apart of the original King James Bible). It didn’t make sense to me. They loved this stuff! But let a man in the Hebrew Israelites community say something misogynistic and they would come for his head! Anyway, this woman told me to watch a group known as gms on YouTube. I did and I was repulsed. Do you know what they teach? They believe they can rape women and it’s not a crime! The only thing they would have to do is marry her. Actually, they considered this to be marriage. “This is how you obtain a wife”. I got out of that movement so fast. I’m pretty sure I’ve been called Jezebel, witch, and other names. I’m just hoping the other women wake up as well. Basically, the Hebrew Israelites are nothing but black Christians who think black Jesus is coming to save us only and everyone else is going into slavery for 1000 years. I feel embarrassed thinking back on it. 

• Like 3

Welcome!  You are a smart, brave woman.

Like you, reading the old testament was one of the things that really got me to questioning God and the Christianity myth.  I believe you will find a lot of support here.  Hang in there!!

Welcome to Ex-C, @Nani

Are you still a Hebrew Israelite?

If so, why?

1 hour ago, MOHO said:

Welcome to Ex-C, @Nani

Are you still a Hebrew Israelite?

If so, why?

No I’m not. I’m leaving all abrahamic faiths alone. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Weezer said:

Welcome!  You are a smart, brave woman.

Like you, reading the old testament was one of the things that really got me to questioning God and the Christianity myth.  I believe you will find a lot of support here.  Hang in there!!

Thank you. I wish I could tell my parents my beliefs but that won’t be for a while. 

I'll add my welcome too. I hope you find this site beneficial. 

Welcome Nani! Isn't it eye-opening when you really see what is in the holy bible? Lol Glad you joined us! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Margee said:

Welcome Nani! Isn't it eye-opening when you really see what is in the holy bible? Lol Glad you joined us! 

The Bible is "Holey". It has more holes in it's theology & teachings than a sieve. :rolleyes:  :lol:

• Haha 2

Welcome!

On 3/30/2018 at 1:35 PM, Nani said:

Thank you. I wish I could tell my parents my beliefs but that won’t be for a while. 

Hang in there. I've experienced that particular situation (having to keep things a secret from your parents due to circumstance). I eventually became financially and socially independent enough that I could finally tell them without their ability to punish me or otherwise incur serious repercussions. It feels like forever but it definitely can and does work.

Welcome

Don't worry, I belonged to a ''libera'' denomination and still feel as outraged about all the misogynist content of the bible. Totally agree.