Sign in to follow this  
Castiel233

Do you remember Brother Jeff

He was on here a lot when I first joined but I understand  he is now fully committed to Christianity, which of course is his decision. I always thought he had a good heart (and presumably still has), but was surprised to learn he seems to be a full on Christian now.  

Not mocking his choice, just surprised. He was so against it. 

• Like 1

Hard to say.

It could be as simple as just playing along for social reasons.

I'd be lying if I said I never considered it.

You'd be surprised what some good strange will do to someone.

He could have truly "found Jesus" as well.

I have an Uncle who is Mormon. I strongly suspect that he did it for the ass and just plays along to keep his wife happy.

I would never voice that, he seems happy and has a good thing going it seems. I just get the feeling sometimes that he's just doing it to keep things stable and not rock the boat. It's hard to explain why I think that exactly, but it is a feeling I can't shake regarding him.

• Like 1

Jeff would be the first to tell you he battles with mental issues. His manic phases take him right to Christianity, but he can turn on a dime and start a website such as "Christianity is Bullshit." He will probably cycle back to atheism eventually, he always does. He's a good guy with problems.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I've seen him go back to Christianity about a dozen times.  We are always glad to see him when he comes back to us.  We have a couple of other members who battle with a similar challenge.  Life can be strange.

• Like 5

I have read some of his very recent Christian posts.....they are extremely full on with some blame being attached on America;s ills due to militant atheism.

When I say full on, i mean really full on...........

Regarding his mental health problems, he say's that he is cured and is now very devoted to Jesus.

I am not mocking the guy at all, felt he had a kind heart. If it is working for him, then good luck to him. 

As I said before, just surprised given his previous stance....*shrugs* 

• Like 1

Don't think it's ever cured, even by Jesus.  For me, Jesus causes a relapse (chicken/egg?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, florduh said:

He's a good guy with problems.

Yep. This isn't the first time he went full-on christian.

• Like 1

I'm planning on covering all my bases with a last minute deathbed confession & repentance. Kind of a prodigal son sort of thing. The timing can be tricky though, so it's best not to cut it too close.    :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

I'm planning on covering all my bases with a last minute deathbed confession & repentance. Kind of a prodigal son sort of thing. The timing can be tricky though, so it's best not to cut it too close.    :wacko:

I too shall repent and pray to Crom on my deathbed.

Or were you talking about Zeus or Odin?

• Haha 1

I didn't know this about Brother Jeff.  Where did you all get this information? I haven't seen him here, is he on some other site? I'd love to say hello to him.

He's such a likable guy. I told him once I bet we'd be good friends in "real life".  He agreed. Glory! 

• Like 1

I understand he recently left Facebook as well. I think there might be one or two members here who are in contact with him.

I never knew him to be strong or especially knowledgeable in disbelief. Seemed flippy floppy to me, so I'm not surprised to hear this, or that he's done it over and over again. If he comes back, I'd say the above to his face. If he's flip flopping around like that then there's nothing wrong with some hard knocks reality checks from the intellectual atheists. Like going to AA and getting it strong from others after a relapse.....

Snap out of it, boy!

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

Me too! I got my ''Please Forgive Me'' letter that I wrote here all ready for the coffin! :yelrotflmao: I miss Jeff but I know right now he is very happy and that means a lot for him. I'm glad he's got a little peace. 

I'm back into a little 'woo' myself and I really think it makes me much happier. Couldn't do Christian again....... No hell doctrines for me again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

I never knew him to be strong or especially knowledgeable in disbelief. Seemed flippy floppy to me, so I'm not surprised to hear this, or that he's done it over and over again. If he comes back, I'd say the above to his face. If he's flip flopping around like that then there's nothing wrong with some hard knocks reality checks from the intellectual atheists. Like going to AA and getting it strong from others after a relapse.....

Snap out of it, boy!

Even though he has been wrestling with bipolar disorder his whole life? 

1 hour ago, Fweethawt said:

Even though he has been wrestling with bipolar disorder his whole life? 

@SeaJay

You hearing this, SeaJay? You've gone pretty silent lately as well. What do you think about it? 

1 hour ago, Margee said:

Me too! I got my ''Please Forgive Me'' letter that I wrote here all ready for the coffin! :yelrotflmao: I miss Jeff but I know right now he is very happy and that means a lot for him. I'm glad he's got a little peace. 

I'm back into a little 'woo' myself and I really think it makes me much happier. Couldn't do Christian again....... No hell doctrines for me again!

Yeah, non christian woo is one thing, going back to christianity is quite another. I realize we're to be sympathetic to those who are drawn back in, though. I just find it so beyond foolish to even consider such a thing. It's not easy to sympathize with it, in my case. 

I also don't fancy seeing drug addicts or alcoholics cut loose on a bender either. But it happens. 

4 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

@SeaJay

You hearing this, SeaJay? You've gone pretty silent lately as well. What do you think about it? 

Hi Josh

I'm still here. I can relate to what Brother Jeff is going through. For myself, nothing much has changed other than the fear and dread has subsided a lot. The trouble with me though is when the fear goes away, I tend to not think about any of this and just get on with my life. Not sure if that's a positive or negative. It's a positive because I can get on with my life but it's a negative because I never resolve anything either way. I am happy with the peace though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mymistake said:

Yeah, I've seen him go back to Christianity about a dozen times.  We are always glad to see him when he comes back to us.  We have a couple of other members who battle with a similar challenge.  Life can be strange.

Yes, remember @Deidre  ? She went back to Christianity not that long ago. She was interacting with us for a bit then left entirely. People go with what makes them happy, not that which is necessarily correct.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SeaJay said:

Hi Josh

I'm still here. I can relate to what Brother Jeff is going through. For myself, nothing much has changed other than the fear and dread has subsided a lot. The trouble with me though is when the fear goes away, I tend to not think about any of this and just get on with my life. Not sure if that's a positive or negative. It's a positive because I can get on with my life but it's a negative because I never resolve anything either way. I am happy with the peace though

I think that just about anyone involving themselves with christianity is fear driven to some degree. Death, the suggestion of punishment in an afterlife, and general uncertainty is always on the table in the minds of adherent's. Then when something like bipolar disorder is factored in, well, that probably adds more fuel to the fire. 

Out of curiosity, how odd would it be to full bore rejoin church and take up christianity against after having tackled such issues like Genesis 1:1 having no chance at being historical or literal in any way? Wouldn't that tend to always be there in the back of your mind even in the event of trying to go as christian? I tend to think that a lot of the knowledge we discuss here, while perhaps pushed aside or blocked out, will always be there. 

How could this be any different than trying to return to believing Santa will come down a chimney and fill your stockings, literally? 

It could be a fun delusion to have, but it would seem to be very difficult to maintain that delusion after having already identified it. I'd think these seeds, once planted, don't just up and vanish.... 

Bro Jeff is a character by himself

From what i read from his postings and rantings and such, he is struggling as far as i know hom here. 

i have yet to know personally people who has bipolar but have seen friends with BPD and it is real and not easy to be with. 

mood swings, chem imbalance and stress and other trigger points are real, and will affect their judgement at point in time and christians are always ready to nab them. 

wish them happy where ever they are and whatever they believe. 

be kind

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeaJay said:

Hi Josh

That could be dangerous.  After 30 years of 'getting on with my life',  I ended up completely miserable in my  retirement.  Eventually I concluded that a remnant of my (former) belief in hell destined me to come to a horrendous end.  Feeling much better now!  Even after rejecting original sin, I still tended to think of myself as a terrible person...etc. I find it's important to dredge up the unspoken underlying assumptions of it all.

I usually don't feel like doing the tearing apart and putting back together.  But in the end it's totally worth it.

Oh, I get the other perspective now.

I'm still facebook friends with Brother Jeff. I can see that he posted two hours ago. He's been in a fundy phase for a while. Never a dull moment...

Deidre seems to have settled into a nice, gracious, liberal spiritual perspective--happily married the last I heard.

You do you, guys.

:beer:

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TrueFreedom said:

I'm still facebook friends with Brother Jeff. I can see that he posted two hours ago. He's been in a fundy phase for a while. Never a dull moment...

Deidre seems to have settled into a nice, gracious, liberal spiritual perspective--happily married the last I heard.

You do you, guys.

:beer:

Fundy phase? 

I'm sure that's gotten interesting....

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.