Sign in to follow this  
Castiel233

Do you remember Brother Jeff

9 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Yes, remember @Deidre  ?  

The new format eliminated my "friends list" which I was using as a memory crutch.   It's hard for me to remember the names without an avatar to go with them.

9 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

She went back to Christianity not that long ago. She was interacting with us for a bit then left entirely. People go with what makes them happy, not that which is necessarily correct.

Of course.  I was alluding to the condition of bi-polar which several members struggle with.  Often they go through phases which follow a pattern of high religion followed by a phase of less or no religion.  If I know somebody has that then I take it with a grain of salt when they become highly religious.  I will be happy to talk to them again later.

Sorry to hear Brother Jeff has gone back.  Last I knew he and his dad had moved to Texas.  Certainly a great place to get "fundified" again!  It must be mental illness.  Once my eyes were opened, I just could never close them again.

• Like 2

Fundamentally, "they" got Jeff.

His posts are very very Evangelical......

Post after post of how great Jesus......often in FULL CAPS MODE.......

JESUS DIED FOR US AND HIS HOLY BLOOD WAS SHRED ON THE CROSS FOR US, ALL OF US, EVEN THOU WE ARE UNWORTHY........etc

I hope "they" don't get me 

33 minutes ago, TrueScotsman said:

"He's in a manic period, GET HIM."  Makes me sick.

My daughter (8yo) received a formal invitation from one of her schoolmates to attend Easter service at church.  She got the idea that it was going to be a formal party or something like what she sees in a Barbie movie.  She was really disappointed when I explained that they just sit in church and listen to a lecture the whole time and that her friend was giving invitations out of an obligation.  Christians are predatory.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mymistake said:

My daughter (8yo) received a formal invitation from one of her schoolmates to attend Easter service at church.  She got the idea that it was going to be a formal party or something like what she sees in a Barbie movie.  She was really disappointed when I explained that they just sit in church and listen to a lecture the whole time and that her friend was giving invitations out of an obligation.  Christians are predatory.

Yup, since my mom found out I no longer believe, she wants me to go to church with her and she is pressing hard for me to show my family the movie, Heaven is for Real, that she got me a few years ago.  When I first got it, I put it in the bottom drawer of my dresser and promptly forgot about it.  I keep telling her no one in my family want to see it and she says we won't know if we'll like it until we see it.  No, mom, we DO know we won't like it, just like she can look at the titles/covers of some movies and know that she won't like it without seeing it.  🙄 She tried to get me to promise her I would show it to them!  I told her I don't make promises and she couldn't understand that.    Next time she bugs me about it, I'm going to ask her what she thinks will be accomplished by watching it and just flat out tell her it will not make any of us return to belief.

Sorry, I realize I got a little off topic there, lol!  I never let my kids accept invitations to things like AWANA and the like because I know what's really going on there.  

You go, freethinker,  for standing your ground

1 hour ago, Daffodil said:

Yup, since my mom found out I no longer believe, she wants me to go to church with her and she is pressing hard for me to show my family the movie, Heaven is for Real, that she got me a few years ago.  When I first got it, I put it in the bottom drawer of my dresser and promptly forgot about it.  I keep telling her no one in my family want to see it and she says we won't know if we'll like it until we see it.  No, mom, we DO know we won't like it, just like she can look at the titles/covers of some movies and know that she won't like it without seeing it.  🙄 She tried to get me to promise her I would show it to them!  I told her I don't make promises and she couldn't understand that.    Next time she bugs me about it, I'm going to ask her what she thinks will be accomplished by watching it and just flat out tell her it will not make any of us return to belief.

Sorry, I realize I got a little off topic there, lol!  I never let my kids accept invitations to things like AWANA and the like because I know what's really going on there.  

I go to church with my mother when I visit her. She's kind of given up on trying to discuss it with me as I made it pretty clear that I have no interest in discussing the existence of God with anyone.

I don't know anyone there and they all seem nice and no one bothers me. It's mostly a bunch of old ladies. I just sit and stand with everyone else and shake hands with people during that part of the service. I also kneel, but only out of courtesy for the people behind me so they have a place to put their arms, and it's somewhat relaxing as I don't pay attention and is comfortable enough in a light jacket. The seats and kneeling things are padded and not ache inducing for the duration they are used. The music sucks, but is tolerable. The worst part is shifting so people can get by during the communion thing.

They also don't have a giant torture device on the wall at her church. It's one of those churches that has Jesus after the resurrection with his arms spread instead. There is a smaller one, but it's just the one they carry up there on the staff thing and stick on a post for the duration of the service.

I usually get a free meal out of it as we usually go to lunch or something after, but I wouldn't complain if we didn't.

It's not really a waste of time, as I'd just be sitting at home alone with her dog otherwise and there isn't anything on TV at that time of day. The dog doesn't like anyone but her, but isn't aggressive.

In my case it's boring but painless and I just let my mind wander and no one bothers me.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.