Goodbye Jesus

New theory says YHWH originated as Canaanite "Vulcan"

mwc

A pretty interesting theory.  The actual article is pay-walled but I found the text over at Reddit in the comments.

The gist is that YHWH was a god of metallurgy.  I do like this idea since I've often thought of him as a bit of a volcano god although that wasn't entirely satisfying in the way this theory is.  Anyway, it's worth going to Reddit and giving it a read (unless you subscribe to Haaretz).

mwc

• Like 1

I was able to read the link to Haaretz from Reddit without a problem. 

I'm not convinced that passages that describe Yahweh with volcanic metaphors imply a direct connection to metallurgy among his worshippers. Yahweh is also described as a lion and having lion-like qualities. Can we use this as evidence to propose that the original worshippers of Yahweh were lion keepers? It sounds like more myth-rationalizing. 

However, I do think the author is on the right track by suggesting a strong link between religious worship and economics. 

I thought YHWH was Baal.  How do the two hypotheses compare?

21 minutes ago, BroTom said:

I read (somewhere?) that possibly YHWH was an onomatopoeia for the sound of breathing. 

For those with COPD, perhaps.  For those with healthy lungs, I don't think so.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:23 AM, mymistake said:

They were both two of the "son's of El" within the Elohim pantheon, both below El Elyon the most high god, the father over these sons. Each of these gods ruled over the various nations, YHWH being for Israel....

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Vulcan? i thought el was the canaanite god abrahamic religion is based on. Hence elohim. 

As pointed out by Josh, both Yahweh and Baal were sons of El in the Canaanite pantheon.

A splinter group of Canaanites (Who became the Israelite's) took Yahweh as their main God and started applying characteristics of El to him. This can be seen in the ancient manuscripts where in Genesis both the terms El and Yahweh is used to refer to God. In English it reads "and the LORD GOD", but in the original it reads "and Yahweh El" indicating the crossover.

Other evidences that I think best support the Yahweh name is that El was also referred to as El Elyon "God most high". In the bible there are many references to Yahweh also as the most high God etc.

Interestingly, and never brought up by Christians, is that why do you need a commandment to worship no other gods before me, and titles of God most high, or Lord of Lords, if there is only one true God?

The answer when taking off the religious hat is obvious - these people came from a pantheon religion and so thought there were other Gods.... but their god was the most high one. The big boss. The chief.

As for what sort of God Yahweh was - well readings in the bible would seem to indicate a storm or wind type God as these references are used regularly. Aron Ra thinks a volcano god which also fits.

• Thanks 2

I thought this was pretty much common knowledge. Historians know the Israelites were originally Canaanites, so it would be logical for them to adopt a Canaanite god as their one true god. 

Jews, at least those in academia, are aware they were originally Canaanites. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Jews, at least those in academia, are aware they were originally Canaanites. 

Israel Finkelstein, case and point. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Nah.  YHWH is far to illogical to be Vulcan.

star_trek_tv_spock_3_copy_-_h_2018.jpg

• Super Moderator
On 4/13/2018 at 10:23 PM, mymistake said:

Baal can also mean "lord" in the old testament. It was a generic title used by the people in the area for various gods on the regions.

To get some real insight into this discussion, pick up Henry Fosdick's "A Guide to Understanding the Bible." He was a liberal theologian who does a pretty good job breaking down all of the different ideas ancient Hebrews had about YHWH.

I though historians have established that YHWH and Baal were two of many Canaanite Gods. And that the Israelites were originally Canaanites, and were never slaves in Egypt. If so, then it would make sense that they would seek out one of their own Gods and declare Him the one true God.

Oops, sorry I already posted that. What do you expect, I’m old and I forget stuff pretty regularly now. 

• Haha 1