Glad this never happens here! :49:

"Forums: Forums are made for discussing topics with like-minded people, but every once in a while, a troll will come in and start spewing negative words all over the place. If forum moderators don't ban them, other members will often respond and before you know it, the thread gets thrown completely off topic and becomes nothing but one big pointless argument."

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-internet-trolling-3485891

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

7 minutes ago, florduh said:

"Forums: Forums are made for discussing topics with like-minded people, but every once in a while, a troll will come in and start spewing negative words all over the place. If forum moderators don't ban them, other members will often respond and before you know it, the thread gets thrown completely off topic and becomes nothing but one big pointless argument."

7 minutes ago, florduh said:

A hat for every head, an antagonist for ever other ass-agonist...  Carry on

42 minutes ago, florduh said:

And people ultimately get fed up and leave the site altogether.  I have on occasion seriously thought about deleting my profile on here.  I still get more pleasure than pain out of this site though, so haven't done it yet.

6 hours ago, Daffodil said:

And people ultimately get fed up and leave the site altogether.  I have on occasion seriously thought about deleting my profile on here.  I still get more pleasure than pain out of this site though, so haven't done it yet.

That's probably why so many are no longer here. 

7 hours ago, florduh said:

There's also the manufactured outrage from retarded "news sources"

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

That's probably why so many are no longer here. 

I think I can attest to that.

Why are some forums with similar discussion topics nice and lively and others have the same 3 posters posting the same kind of stuff multiple times a day?

20788387_10.jpg?v=8D1B5F9F6D4B590&f=1

...and now we wait.

3 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I think I can attest to that.

Why are some forums with similar discussion topics nice and lively and others have the same 3 posters posting the same kind of stuff multiple times a day?

TOT, if that's the one you're referring to, is tailor made for trolls.  Honestly, when they moved all the crap to TOT, it helped a lot.  If you avoid TOT, you really don't have to deal with the troll.  Problem for me is, TOT is the only forum I still find interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snipage:

"Dealing with Trolls

If a troll tries to provoke you, just ignore them. They’re not worth your time or emotional distress. Try not to take anything personally and remind yourself that their bad behavior does not change who you are."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

TOT, if that's the one you're referring to, is tailor made for trolls.  Honestly, when they moved all the crap to TOT, it helped a lot.  If you avoid TOT, you really don't have to deal with the troll.  Problem for me is, TOT is the only forum I still find interesting.

Yes, once you've moved beyond needing help, and if you don't have an interest in debating religion, but still want to be part of the Ex-C community then ToT is the place were a lot of everyday stuff goes on. Sadly some really good topics get derailed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, LogicalFallacy said:

Snipage:

"Dealing with Trolls

If a troll tries to provoke you, just ignore them. They’re not worth your time or emotional distress. Try not to take anything personally and remind yourself that their bad behavior does not change who you are."

I decided to put our resident troll on ignore to see how that would be, and it is quite nice.  I still see his posts if someone else responds to him, but that is all.  I also noticed on another thread where he popped in with his crap, everyone else completely ignored him.  He posted about three times, no one responded at all, and he dropped back out again.  It does work!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daffodil said:

I decided to put our resident troll on ignore to see how that would be, and it is quite nice.  I still see his posts if someone else responds to him, but that is all.  I also noticed on another thread where he popped in with his crap, everyone else completely ignored him.  He posted about three times, no one responded at all, and he dropped back out again.  It does work!

BO has good things to say sometimes, I respond to posts which I think further the discussion, but if we don't feed the trolling then I think there will be less of it.  I think things have improved lately.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TrueScotsman said:

BO has good things to say sometimes, I respond to posts which I think further the discussion, but if we don't feed the trolling then I think there will be less of it.  I think things have improved lately.

Yeah, I agree with this.

16 hours ago, florduh said:

This may be true but I still have a little problem with the basic premise.  They start with "Forums are made for discussing topics with like-minded people" but to me, depending on the subject matter, less like real discussion and more like an echo chamber.

I mean it depends on what your intended purpose is really.  Like a lot of "religious" sites don't really want to discuss anything as far as I'm concerned.  They just want to reinforce beliefs.  They want an online bible study or some other sort of soap box from which to preach, err, "discuss" their pet spirituality.  Argument/trolling, in that case, is to simply wonder in and present any sort of descent or questioning that flies in the face of what they want to hear.

mwc

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mwc said:

This may be true but I still have a little problem with the basic premise.  They start with "Forums are made for discussing topics with like-minded people" but to me, depending on the subject matter, less like real discussion and more like an echo chamber.

"Like minded people" aren't necessarily in agreement on everything. They are like minded in that they want to discuss topics of common interest in a reasonable and civil manner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trolls are after the attention, they get off on getting a rise out of people. Ignoring them is the only solution if it's something that really bothers you.

They aren't trying to be right, they're trying to amuse themselves by pissing people off. This is an important thing to remember when dealing with one. They'll go down the path that keeps their target hooked and riled up whether they truly believe what they're saying or not.

The thing is, those who often exhibit troll behavior aren't always trolling, and it becomes hard to tell when they are or not.

This leads to them getting legitimately angry when no one takes them seriously when they are being serious and everyone treats them as if they are trolling. The boy who cried wolf and all that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ContraBardus said:

Trolls are after the attention, they get off on getting a rise out of people. Ignoring them is the only solution if it's something that really bothers you.

Not everyone finds it easy to ignore. Most old timers have the hang of it and know the score; you can read the stupid, inflammatory, disingenuous posts and ignore them or don't even read them at all. The issue as I see it is that newer members who have something to add to the discussions can become quickly disgusted and leave because a troll or two has poisoned the place for them.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, TrueScotsman said:

That is called "bait".  Respond to the good stuff and next thing you know it will be ten pages of "But that isn't what I said".

1 hour ago, florduh said:

Not everyone finds it easy to ignore. Most old timers have the hang of it and know the score; you can read the stupid, inflammatory, disingenuous posts and ignore them or don't even read them at all. The issue as I see it is that newer members who have something to add to the discussions can become quickly disgusted and leave because a troll or two has poisoned the place for them.

Maybe we should password lock ToT like we do with the Sex section?

Make people read a disclaimer before getting the password?

Just put it in a separate post at the bottom of a warning about what goes on here sometimes, and that it isn't a safe space like the rest of the forums and has lighter moderation?

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg&f=1

HERE THERE BE TROLLS! YE BE WARNED!

1 hour ago, ContraBardus said:

Maybe we should password lock ToT like we do with the Sex section?

Make people read a disclaimer before getting the password?

Just put it in a separate post at the bottom of a warning about what goes on here sometimes, and that it isn't a safe space like the rest of the forums and has lighter moderation?

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg&f=1

HERE THERE BE TROLLS! YE BE WARNED!

I think we discussed this at length after some new members got very upset at some content Fwee posted about rape jokes if I recall correctly.

We ended up discussing free speech and what should be allowed and what warnings for newbies etc.

In the end it was decided the warning on the main board that "Virtually anything goes" was sufficient warning for the people and nothing would change.

1 minute ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I think we discussed this at length after some new members got very upset at some content Fwee posted about rape jokes if I recall correctly.

We ended up discussing free speech and what should be allowed and what warnings for newbies etc.

In the end it was decided the warning on the main board that "Virtually anything goes" was sufficient warning for the people and nothing would change.

That's part of the reason I suggested putting the PW in a post. No one would have to bother the mods to gain access, and the section would be accessible to everyone, and it's not barred off or censored.

The lock and separate post for the PW would be more to force people to read the warning than anyone else, and that way no one can say they weren't warned and were surprised by what they found here. If they skip over the warning and just get the password, that's on them.

4 minutes ago, ContraBardus said:

That's part of the reason I suggested putting the PW in a post. No one would have to bother the mods to gain access, and the section would be accessible to everyone, and it's not barred off or censored.

The lock and separate post for the PW would be more to force people to read the warning than anyone else, and that way no one can say they weren't warned and were surprised by what they found here. If they skip over the warning and just get the password, that's on them.

I understand your point, but our topic is specifically about trolls. The idea of a password and warning is to warn those of a sensitive personality that topics of a controversial nature are discussed within.

However, even with a password I still don't want to read, as a rebuttal, BO saying "Are you touching yourself"? That's trolling, and regardless of the board or topic it should be unwelcome.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I understand your point, but our topic is specifically about trolls. The idea of a password and warning is to warn those of a sensitive personality that topics of a controversial nature are discussed within.

However, even with a password I still don't want to read, as a rebuttal, BO saying "Are you touching yourself"? That's trolling, and regardless of the board or topic it should be unwelcome.

As far as I know it is... in the majority of the forum.

This is the only area I'm aware of where that sort of thing gets basically waved off.

I also used a troll warning as an example for that reason. I'd avoid using language like "triggered" or "snowflake" in such a warning, but get the idea across that this area is pretty much our/ b/ section of the forums where trolls are allowed to play.

BO isn't the only one who goes trolling here. There are several members who show up just to have a contradiction contest and piss on the opinions of others for their own amusement. I'm not in the other areas as much as I used to be, but as far as I know it's pretty much confined to here. A lot of boards aren't nearly as well moderated and regulated as this one on the whole and the mod team seems to have it under control in the areas it really matters in.

Honestly, I'd rather this place didn't turn into Reddit.

11 minutes ago, ContraBardus said:

As far as I know it is... in the majority of the forum.

Yes very true.

This is the only area I'm aware of where that sort of thing gets basically waved off.

Yes also true. This is also the only section where everyday things of general interest can be discussed... and more often that not it turns into a shit show.

I also used a troll warning as an example for that reason. I'd avoid using language like "triggered" or "snowflake" in such a warning, but get the idea across that this area is pretty much our/ b/ section of the forums where trolls are allowed to play.

Yes. I think the question is do we want to allow trolls to play unhindered? If the trolls are not hampered then really it falls to the rest to simply not.... take... the... bait and ignore it.

BO isn't the only one who goes trolling here. There are several members who show up just to have a contradiction contest and piss on the opinions of others for their own amusement. I'm not in the other areas as much as I used to be, but as far as I know it's pretty much confined to here. A lot of boards aren't nearly as well moderated and regulated as this one on the whole and the mod team seems to have it under control in the areas it really matters in.

No, but he is the most obvious and prime example of it. There are other forms of trolling that is far more subtle.

And your point is very true, the trolling is confined to ToT. The mods step on any aberrant behaviour in other forums pretty quickly.

Honestly, I'd rather this place didn't turn into Reddit.

Totally agree.

This is old but: https://techcrunch.com/2015/07/02/reddit-is-blowing-up/