15 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Yes very true.

Yes also true. This is also the only section where everyday things of general interest can be discussed... and more often that not it turns into a shit show.

Yes. I think the question is do we want to allow trolls to play unhindered? If the trolls are not hampered then really it falls to the rest to simply not.... take... the... bait and ignore it.

No, but he is the most obvious and prime example of it. There are other forms of trolling that is far more subtle.

And your point is very true, the trolling is confined to ToT. The mods step on any aberrant behaviour in other forums pretty quickly.

Totally agree.

This is old but: https://techcrunch.com/2015/07/02/reddit-is-blowing-up/

I would venture that the trolls are not unhindered here. They're restricted to this area.

I get what you're saying, but they don't have free reign and are pretty much contained, which again, is pretty impressive when compared to a lot of other forums.

It's entirely possible that having an area where they can run around relatively freely helps keep them off the rest of the board. Kind of like how having a playground in your yard can help keep your kids from destroying your garden.

Nothing here really gets too far out of line to be honest. I mean, sure the subject matter is often controversial and responses are often sharp, ad homs, and argumentative, but we don't really see post stalking or harassment here. Those who troll here don't badger those who don't engage with them. They drop their trigger bait and if no one takes it, they move on to another thread.

We have trolls, but it's pretty tame to be honest. Most of the complaints I've seen have more to do with shock value posts, far right or left leaning opinions [mostly right], and subject matter, rather than trolling in the traditional sense.

• Thanks 1

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

CB - I think you’re right.  It’s not really that bad and it is pretty well confined to TOT.  It really does work to ignore him.  If those of a more left-leaning bent (his favorite targets) could just pretend he’s not there or put him on ignore, it would work wonders.    

LF - I don’t remember if it was you or someone else who said there are just some things you will not let go unchallenged, but that is exactly what he is counting on.  So he calls you a child or snowflake or accuses you of masturbating, who cares!  The rest of us don’t see you (or whoever said that) that way.  Ignore.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

LF - I don’t remember if it was you or someone else who said there are just some things you will not let go unchallenged, but that is exactly what he is counting on.  So he calls you a child or snowflake or accuses you of masturbating, who cares!  The rest of us don’t see you (or whoever said that) that way.  Ignore.  

Daffodil that was Truescotsman in reply to me suggesting that he not respond to trolling and attacks in kind. 

I agree with you that ignoring trolling is the best way to go which is what I encourage others to do. Same with ad homs. Point them out but don't resort to using them even with justification. 

That's my opinion. Each to their own of course.