theanticrash

Once a sinner always a sinner

"We love sin"

This is a religious phrase that has been used against those who are struggling to leave or left Christianity. When the Ex-Christian demonstrates their independence and freedom from the shackles of their belief system, the Christian returns fire by saying.

"You have turned away from God because you love sin"

My objective here is to begin a defence and raise awareness of this particular attack. It is a low blow in my book, and it was something that caused me to rethink my position on leaving the Christian God. It is like a dormant virus that can still take the Ex-Christian hostage at some point in their deprogramming. 

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Sin tends to have a fluid definition. Even within Christianity there is disagreement on what is and is not sinful. Essentially sin is breaking a church or biblical rule or command. Christianity is basically a voluntary agreement to live a self disciplined life and adhere to the laws, rules, & commands of the church & bible, even though there is often no agreement on exactly what those are. 

6 hours ago, theanticrash said:

"We love sin"

This is a religious phrase that has been used against those who are struggling to leave or left Christianity. When the Ex-Christian demonstrates their independence and freedom from the shackles of their belief system, the Christian returns fire by saying.

"You have turned away from God because you love sin"

My objective here is to begin a defence and raise awareness of this particular attack. It is a low blow in my book, and it was something that caused me to rethink my position on leaving the Christian God. It is like a dormant virus that can still take the Ex-Christian hostage at some point in their deprogramming. 

One defense to this might be to say, "I am immune to your attempt at guilting me back into the mind prison of Christianity. If you enjoy being a robot for Jesus, go ahead."

My favorite response is "There is no such thing as sin".

If that doesn't shut them up I would elaborate with:

Crime is real.  Crime is behavior that offend the government.  Rudeness is real.  Rudeness is behavior that offends the people around you.  Sin is behavior that offend imaginary beings.  If imaginary beings are not real then neither is sin.

If the Believer counters with "But my God is not imaginary because my God is real!" then I would come back with:

Okay show me objective evidence.  Show me something your God can do that an imaginary person couldn't do.  I will wait.

• Like 2