Goodbye Jesus

How did you personally quit excessive drinking/smoking/over eating/gambling..

Anushka

...etc...? Need some advice (practical steps) to be more disciplined in my life.

Would love to hear what people went through when trying to quit certain bad habits.

i used to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes in 2 days and drinks like a fish on weekends. 

it simply takes me a heart attack and a double bypass to quit the habit. 

just wait, it is likely to happen when you hit 40s

• Haha 1

I loved a cigar each evening. But when my lover had a mini-stroke and had to stop things like smoking, I did too. Somehow, never looked back. I still like my three glasses of wine an evening, though - and sometimes a bit more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pratt said:

i used to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes in 2 days and drinks like a fish on weekends. 

it simply takes me a heart attack and a double bypass to quit the habit. 

just wait, it is likely to happen when you hit 40s

Lol thankfully I don't drink or smoke or gamble or overeat.

I just have some other addictive behaviours like checking my phone constantly which is increasing my anxiety.

• 3 weeks later...

According to some folks at Mrs. MOHO's church I turned away from god so I could pursue my Tuesday night regimen of drowning little kittens. 🐈

According to them the only way I can quit is to "get right with the lord!"  :moon:

6 hours ago, MOHO said:

According to some folks at Mrs. MOHO's church I turned away from god so I could pursue my Tuesday night regimen of drowning little kittens. 🐈

According to them the only way I can quit is to "get right with the lord!"  :moon:

I think you really should stop drowning little kittens 

😂

• Like 1

Gambling never did anything for me after I boned up on some specialized mathematics and learned what a "House Limit," and a "House Percentage," were and how they worked.
Moreover one of my Dad's old friends who was well known for the punt aka betting on the Neddies (horses) once told me, "If you want a hobby that will keep you poor the rest of your days, this one'll do it!" And I thought to myself, "Well Tommy, you're living proof of that!" I never touched the horses again. Best advice, bar none, that I ever had!

I quit smoking (up to sixty a day) after I had a near heart attack. Oddly enough, the doctors told me that wasn't caused by smoking, but they didn't need to tell me it wasn't helping me, so I quit cold. Although it's not advisable to do so, I kept a pack of smokes, knowing I'd be anxious if I didn't have any cigarettes. I found all I had to do was to put them somewhere such that I knew where they were, but I would have to make an effort to get at them. After doing this, I told myself I could have one any time I wanted, but, it wasn't how lousy I was feeling before I smoked one, it was how lousy I'd feel after I smoked it. For the rest I chewed travel sweets and drank a lot of water. And it really was as simple as that. That was a month shy of six years ago.

Drinking? I quit drinking spirits after realizing I could put away a bottle of decent Scotch a night, and that could get expensive. Besides which, I had two uncles who died before their time from alcoholism. They had both served in the Second World War and I didn't have that excuse for hard drinking. Beer? I found I could cut down on how much I drank of that, and anyway, would you have me live like a monk?

Fornication? No comment.

Casey

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Smoking I went to vape. Is it the perfect option? No. But it cuts out 1000’s of bad chemicals.