Goodbye Jesus

Anyone else hate going to sleep?

Anushka

I started hating sleep after getting addicted to my android phone..

Any tips on how to deal with phone addiction?

I remember I was a normal girl before being a CRAZY Christian. Christianity literally ruined me mentally , psychologically...If Jesus is real, he has a lot to answer for! 

P.S. don't worry, I know he is not 

hey. As to your phone, can you just tell yourself - and the world - "I do not accept calls or texts between the hours of x and y"? 

And, I don't mean this to be flippant - do you have a cat or dog? There is nothing like a feline friend nestling in some crook of your body, purring. In some ways, better than a human as a bed partner for actual sleeping!!

• Like 2

Ficino makes a good point. Pets accept you as you are and never try to make you someone else. They never talk back or criticize. I think one of the best cures for lots of things is a cat on your lap and a good book in your hands.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anushka said:

I remember I was a normal girl before being a CRAZY Christian. Christianity literally ruined me mentally , psychologically...If Jesus is real, he has a lot to answer for! 

Have you considered that addiction may be your problem and not religion?

7 hours ago, Anushka said:

You could get a dumb phone that does much of nothing, or get someone to lock your apps and the internet on your current phone.

You'll work it out.

6 hours ago, ficino said:

hey. As to your phone, can you just tell yourself - and the world - "I do not accept calls or texts between the hours of x and y"? 

And, I don't mean this to be flippant - do you have a cat or dog? There is nothing like a feline friend nestling in some crook of your body, purring. In some ways, better than a human as a bed partner for actual sleeping!!

Nope. Never liked to have any pets.

5 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

Have you considered that addiction may be your problem and not religion?

What I meant is being super strong crazy Christian in the past led me to all these addictions.

2 hours ago, theanticrash said:

You could get a dumb phone that does much of nothing, or get someone to lock your apps and the internet on your current phone.

You'll work it out.

Downloaded an app called quality time .

Hope it helps :)

1 hour ago, Anushka said:

Downloaded an app called quality time .

Hope it helps :)

Keep me posted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theanticrash said:

Keep me posted.

Will do.

I don't have a particularly addictive personality, but as someone who is a prolific phone user I have two suggestions:

1. Blue light filter

2. If you must be on your phone at night, get a novel on Google Play and read before bed. Good television keeps me up at night. A good book, on the other hand, puts me out. Maybe avoid the Good Book though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anushka said:

What I meant is being super strong crazy Christian in the past led me to all these addictions.

Was being a super strong crazy Christian also an addiction?

3 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

Was being a super strong crazy Christian also an addiction?

I wouldn't say addiction...but turning to God in an extreme way was a result of emotional abuse and the church scaring me with hell and punishment.  

I hate going to bed purely for work/life balance. I find with getting two young kids ready in the morning, then getting home to dinner and chores, if I don't stay up extra late it feels like I work, chores, sleep, repeat.  I always try to get in an hour or two of video games, which can result in not getting to bed till close to midnight.

14 hours ago, Bhim said:

I don't have a particularly addictive personality, but as someone who is a prolific phone user I have two suggestions:

1. Blue light filter

2. If you must be on your phone at night, get a novel on Google Play and read before bed. Good television keeps me up at night. A good book, on the other hand, puts me out. Maybe avoid the Good Book though.

A good book keeps me up because I want to see what happens. OTOH, something about quantum mechanics or astro-physics will have me nodding off in three minutes.

21 hours ago, older said:

A good book keeps me up because I want to see what happens. OTOH, something about quantum mechanics or astro-physics will have me nodding off in three minutes.

Maybe I should send my dissertation to all of the insomniacs at ex-C.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2018 at 2:24 PM, Wertbag said:

I hate going to bed purely for work/life balance. I find with getting two young kids ready in the morning, then getting home to dinner and chores, if I don't stay up extra late it feels like I work, chores, sleep, repeat.  I always try to get in an hour or two of video games, which can result in not getting to bed till close to midnight.

I don't have to deal with kids but I do understand the sentiment. After making the transition from academia to industry, I find that while I have a lot more free time, I don't have much in the way of "passion" for my job. The six or so hours of leisure time I get per night is invaluable in maintaining sanity.

Based on what I hear from older parents, you'll get your evenings back in a few years. :)

21 hours ago, older said:

Christopher Hitches said

"If you want a good sleeping pill, read the book of mormon. It's chloroform in print"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2018 at 5:22 PM, Anushka said:

When did you become christian? What were you prior that? 

Now this is a crazy Christian

13 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

When did you become christian? What were you prior that? 

I was born into a Christian family. I grew up as a Christian, reading the Bible and praying.

Became an extreme Christian at the age of 20-21.. a crazy Christian friend who was very manipulative led me to be a radical Christian ..I wish I had never met that miserable witch, cow! 

What about you? Were you a Christian all your life? 

8 hours ago, theanticrash said:

Now this is a crazy Christian

God is this staged? I cannot believe that someone would act like this in front of the camera! 

8 hours ago, ExPCA said:

Bedtime is tough. And I do agree that leaving a church or way of belief can be especially taxing on ones conscience and, therefore, sleep and rest cycles.

The best advice I’ve received is to listen to a book or read a book that is LIGHT and not very heavy or provocative... something that has a storyline that is not necessarily suspenseful or necessarily thrillingly or demands the utmost attention of its reader/listener.

I have come to believe that once one lays down and rests and then eventually feels/senses/thinks about self-created (so to speak) abstract storylines in ones head and feels these stories raveling and unraveling, that it is at this time that sleep is beginning to occur... or perhaps that dreams are beginning to develop in basal forms.

What do you think? Does this make sense?

I have never used bed time reading even though reading is my hobby...I remember staying up till 2 in the morning reading novels 😀 that was years ago. .I still read, just not as much as I used to.

I'm afraid this is one I can't help with. I love my phone, and I love sleeping. Over the past few years, I've begun to find that many of my most enjoyable moments come when I'm between sleeping and waking.

1 hour ago, disillusioned said:

I'm afraid this is one I can't help with. I love my phone, and I love sleeping. Over the past few years, I've begun to find that many of my most enjoyable moments come when I'm between sleeping and waking.

Between sleeping and waking??? Didn't get you??