Goodbye Jesus

My Christian Ancestors

SeniorCitizen007

Although I've never been religious ... nor were my parents ... I'm of the opinion that I'm an ex-Christian inasmuch that my 17th century ancestors were heavily influenced by the religious turmoil in England during that century. Despite the fact that my father's family came from Hampshire and my mother's from Suffolk ... so that they were seemingly unrelated ... I found that they are. They are both descended from my 8th great grandfather, William Mills, born 1652, in Lavenham, Suffolk and his wife, my 8th great grandmother, Mary Kent, born 1647, in the nearby village of Acton, who married in Lavenham in 1674 and had 11 children. I believe that my intense desire to try to figure out what the Bible is all about (despite not having been exposed to religion as a child) has its origins in the experiences of this family. The modern science of Epigenetics seems to me to suggest that a "religious influence" may have been implanted in my genes that does not allow me to ignore and avoid religion and happily become a "convinced atheist". As a trained scientist I even have my suspicions about the certitude that science gives to Darwin's Theory of Evolution. I also write poetry ... or rather ... my hands write poetry - and it certainly ain't modern stuff!

What hath thee locked within thy brow?

What words, what images, mate with thy frowns?

What secrets yearn expression?

Ah! Sweet Maid!

I, by these lines, would (or maybe, do?) bind thee to my wit,

And would have thee, unashamed,

Lease thine heart to me.

For I, great profit can accum' to thee of Joy,

Which, once lit within thy mortal frame,

Would never emptied of its comfort be,

But 'twould burn, as steady flame,

Never to sorrow faltering,

Nor by time consumed,

Eternally abright.

I've written a number of poems in the above style ... some have archaic words in them that went out of use by the end of the 17th century.

Welcome Senior Citizen. I share the above poster's tongue-in-cheek curiosity about your attempting to join the community of former Christians based upon a weak association to this religion. But on a more sincere note: as far as I'm concerned you are most welcome.

I guess my background is sort of a polar opposite to yours. My ancestry is exclusively Indian (real Indian, not the pow wow kind), and contains no Christian heritage whatsoever. On the contrary I made the mistake of converting to Christianity, only to live to regret it.

What is your field of scientific expertise? I myself am trained as an astrophysicist. I'm sure there are some interesting discussions to be had here!