Goodbye Jesus

Stem Cell-Based Retinal Implant Could Stop Age-Related Blindness

nivek

I am diabetic with history of early replaced lens caused by cataracts.  Do worry that as age further hits me that loosing use of eyes a possibility.

Stem Cell-Based Retinal Implant Could Stop Age-Related Blindness

By: Nidhi Goyal | April 21st, 2018

Non-neovascular age-related macular degeneration (NNAMD) is the most common cause of irreversible vision loss in the developed world. At present, there is no treatment available for the advanced stages of this problem.

However, a big breakthrough by a research team led by Amir Kashani, an assistant professor of clinical ophthalmology at the University of Southern California (USC), is showing a ray of hope.

The problem of NNAMD probably begins with the breakdown of cells in a membrane in the eye called the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE). So, researchers designed a retinal implant to mimic the function of this membrane.

The team has developed the first-in-kind retinal implant made from RPE derived from human embryonic stem cells grown on a synthetic substrate.

..snipped 

kL

• Like 2

Interesting as hell!  When you get to preventing blindness, it is a really big deal for the individual, and for the society. Stem cell applications to failing organs and tissue is at the forefront of almost countless possibilities of tissue regeneration  and related cures. Super Cool :)

• Thanks 1

I'm also interested in these sorts of things.  I have a few issues with my eyes as my lenses are thinning and if it progresses too far I can essentially lose my sight down the road.  Fortunately, it's stable for the time being and I'm just fine with glasses (and not too bad without them...at least I don't think but I guess squinting doesn't count).  Lots of other folks are worse off in the sight department than I am in my current state so I'm happy but it would be nice to have a fix since there's nothing at the moment.

mwc

• Thanks 1