Burnedout

Ancient Mass Child Sacrifice May Be World's Largest

Exclusive: Ancient Mass Child Sacrifice May Be World's Largest

More than 140 children were ritually killed in a single event in Peru more than 500 years ago. What could possibly have been the reason? [Snipped]

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/mass-child-human-animal-sacrifice-peru-chimu-science/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

That article reads more like something from the National Enquirer than what you'd expect from National Geographic. Unless I'm just not fully awake yet, it seems extremely repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere.

I have to admit though, it does seem like a pretty mysterious occurrence. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this ritual was probably inspired by some kind of fucked-up religion.

• Thanks 2

Well according to the bible there were mass animal sacrifices of un holy proportions by David and Solomon.

Seems doing weird shit is a human thing

• Thanks 2

What they speculate is what I've heard for pretty much all human sacrifice especially child, sacrifice.  That is that there is some sort of great stress on the society that isn't resolved by the normal means (whatever that might be for a given society).  So they start to sacrifice animals (they sacrifice more in number and more important animals).  When that fails the next "animal" on the list is humans so they start human sacrifice (and often "prized" humans not the dregs).  If that fails to work then they move to child sacrifices since those are the most valuable.

mwc

I was actually reading this the night before you posted it. All I could think was it is amazing the amount of stupidity human beings do in the absence of modern science. All those children slaughtered. And they are speculating that it may have been because of affects on crops due to an El Nino weather even. I mean wow. Asking their God's to give them food by killing over 100 children and over 200 Llamas. WTF?

DB