Sign in to follow this  
Anushka

Why isn't poverty ending?

So many charities in the UK- still there are people who live with children who can't afford heating ...

Celebrities donate millions to Africa, but I still hear it is poor. Someone told me this is because the charities that work/help in Africa swallow the donations themselves rather than passing it to Africans.

Are we fools to sponsor a child or to donate money to a charity? Are charities duping us? 

In Douglas County OR there are a number of "non-profits" that cater to assisting those who are less fortunate than us  would rather spend their time camping in the bushes by the river so that they can spend every dime on their vise of choice. 

According to research that Mrs. MOHO did a couple years ago the non-profits rake in far more than they spend on the bums and tweakers via federal and state grants as well as donation from uninformed do-gooders. Noting this it's not too far fetched to assume that those non-profits would rather not solve the problem. 

My two cents. Anytime we hand a living to someone we not only are not really helping that person but we are attracting more to the trough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MOHO said:

In Douglas County OR there are a number of "non-profits" that cater to assisting those who are less fortunate than us  would rather spend their time camping in the bushes by the river so that they can spend every dime on their vise of choice. 

According to research that Mrs. MOHO did a couple years ago the non-profits rake in far more than they spend on the bums and tweakers via federal and state grants as well as donation from uninformed do-gooders. Noting this it's not too far fetched to assume that those non-profits would rather not solve the problem. 

My two cents. Anytime we hand a living to someone we not only are not really helping that person but we are attracting more to the trough. 

Ya they know if they end poverty completely, they will be out of jobs.

😠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's complicated.  Having children is easy so a lot of people do it.  Lots and lots of people having children and soon there are billions of us.

Creating value is difficult.  And the people who do find a way to create a lot of value don't think they should have to pay much to raise other people's children.

If you want to eliminate poverty then we need to have a lot fewer children and make it easy for anybody who is willing to work hard to earn a comfortable life.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, mymistake said:

If you want to eliminate poverty then we need to have a lot fewer children

I did MY part.

I don't have any children. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Poverty isn't ending in the US because wages have stagnated since the 1970s, but inflation hasn't stopped. It's that simple. Wages stay the same, inflation rises = poverty

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Poverty isn't ending in the US because wages have stagnated since the 1970s, but inflation hasn't stopped. It's that simple. Wages stay the same, inflation rises = poverty

In my state a full-time minimum wage worker will earn $440 a week. For sake of discussion let's take off 20 percent for taxes (sales, income, etc.). That leaves $352 per week. Do the math. In my area, one of the lower-cost areas of the state, a one-bedroom apartment rents for about $800 per month. So that leaves $600 per month for everything else. Take off for auto expenses including registration, insurance, gas and repairs; telephone; food; work clothes; medical; and see what's left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jumping back to the o.p., check out what the CEOs of many charities are being paid. In another thread on this board we discussed this. Somehow a half-mil per year for a charity CEO rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.