Goodbye Jesus

Hello all!

Ebony_Fox

I'm convinced that when I die, I will finally become famous. I'm enjoying the irony of that in advance.

QUOTE(Evanescence - Everybody's Fool)our not real and you can't save me

I love that song!!

(sorry that was off topic)

Thanks alot! I was just curious of what everybody thought of death.

I learned alot of new, different beliefs that I never heard of before.

Next question

Do you think we are bound to this world? Earth? That if it goes we go?

I am a viewer of Star Trek, and Star Trek has been an inspiration for many of today's technologies. I don't think we will be able to acheive interstellar travel any time soon, though. But as Spock has said, "There are possibilities." Maybe we will make discoveries. Maybe we might be able to establish settlements on the Moon or even Mars.

Same thing that happens to all the rest of the mammals on the planet.

Or as Mark Twain is attributed to have said: "I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit. I expect that after I am gone I will be equally inconvenienced."

Epicurus; “Why should I fear death?  If I am, death is not.  If death is, I am not.  Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?”

The scientist/philosopher Carl Sagan wrote, “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

Thanks for sharing that quote, I liked it! :grin:

nothingness seems more likely, So might as well ejoy life while you can. Im not saying go max out  all your credit cards but just live a responsible life.

Darn....I would have rather loved a BIG shopping spree since we just get to be here once.... :lmao:

:HaHa::grin:

While it is true that not existing is not an inconvenience, there does seem to be some innate human desire to "go on living" after we are dead. As pitchu stated earlier, it may be in the memories of others, or someone else said it they think they will finally become famous after they are dead (although I suspect tongue-in-cheek).

If it is true that ther was no existence before we were born, and that we will no longer exist after we die, why is there such a desire to "go on living" after death?

I doubt that other animals spend much time contemplating the after-life. Why humans?

If it is true that ther was no existence before we were born, and that we will no longer exist after we die, why is there such a desire to "go on living" after death?

I doubt that other animals spend much time contemplating the after-life.  Why humans?

Maybe for the simple fact that human nature includes imagination and irrational fear?

Just a thought I honestly have no idea.

and Welcome to the boards Jay

PR

I believe when I die the entire universe will cease to exist...

...at least as far as I'm concerned. :wicked:

Honestly though, I feel that reincarnation is alot like heavan, a pleasant fantasy.

Why do we fear our own mortality and "animals" don't?

-First, I'm not all that sure that all "animals" are unaware of their own mortality or at least, the mortality of others. For humans, the easiest answer is "ego". Small children honestly believe that the universe revolves around them. This feeling certainly fades over time, but I can't imagine it ever disappears completely. For a self-conscious entity, the concept of the universe going on w/out us can be a bitter pill to swallow.

Personally, I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of not dying well... :thanks:

While it is true that not existing is not an inconvenience, there does seem to be some innate human desire to "go on living" after we are dead.  As pitchu stated earlier, it may be in the memories of others, or someone else said it they think they will finally become famous after they are dead (although I suspect tongue-in-cheek).

I doubt that other animals spend much time contemplating the after-life.  Why humans?

Perhaps it is the selfish human nature.

Maybe it is that we just cannot imagine a family member is gone forever when they pass and want to feel as though they exist in some manifestation.

Reincarnation makes more sense to me than any sort of afterlife. If matter can neither be created nor destroyed, and if we have souls/spirits/whatever you want to call them and they are made up of some kind of energy, then logically, they cannot be destroyed upon death. Nature is the great recycler. I realize there's very little proof except some anecdotal evidence, but it's just like anything of that nature.

And even if there is nothing, at least I'll know that my molecules might be recycled into something useful, like water and oxygen for other people to use.

I'm more afraid of not leaving anything useful behind, then what'll happen to me afterwards.

While it is true that not existing is not an inconvenience, there does seem to be some innate human desire to "go on living" after we are dead.  As pitchu stated earlier, it may be in the memories of others, or someone else said it they think they will finally become famous after they are dead (although I suspect tongue-in-cheek).

I have no desire to keep on living after I die, I have no craving for eternity - I want this all to end at some point, better sooner than later as far as I care, but there is too much pain and loss in living to want to prolong it and give it no end. And I don't want to come back (don't believe in reincarnation anyway) and I don't believe in a blissful eternity. One go-round is fine with me, I'll enjoy it while, and as much as, I can, but I take comfort in the thought that it will one day be over.

bdp

I have no desire to keep on living after I die, I have no craving for eternity - I want this all to end at some point, better sooner than later as far as I care, but there is too much pain and loss in living to want to prolong it and give it no end.  And I don't want to come back (don't believe in reincarnation anyway) and I don't believe in a blissful eternity.  One go-round is fine with me, I'll enjoy it while, and as much as, I can, but I take comfort in the thought that it will one day be over.
Wow. Well, I am sorry your life has turned out so badly.

Maybe it is that we just cannot imagine a family member is gone forever when they pass and want to feel as though they exist in some manifestation.

I've lost all of my grandparents, my father, and a cousin (her to a suicide) and I never think of any of them anymore unless I actually stop and choose to. It is possible to just accept and go on even in the face of permanent loss. :shrug:

bdp

Wow.  Well, I am sorry your life has turned out so badly.

Who says it has turned out badly? If all that sounds cynical and fatalistic it really isn't, I smile a lot these days. I'm 42 and diabetic, living on stolen time as it is; I didn't have the chance to pursue things that I'm passionate about for a variety of reasons but I still have right now and will make the most of it. But I'm not going to regret passing on from life, death is natural.

bdp

you actually don't know that animals DON"T have thoughts about death.  animals seem to sense death before it happens, my cat was very distressed when one of our kittens died, both right before and after the event itself.
Well, I realize that I am going out on a limb here, but I really haven't seen any evidence that animals possess true self-awareness, for example, understanding that their own mortality will have an effect on others. I also don't see any evidence that animals speculate on what their place in the world is nor on what their legacy shall be after they depart.

I know, I know...they could very possible have all those thoughts and just can't articulate them. Color me stupid...I just don't see the evidence for it.

• 1 month later...
Hello everbody!

I come back with some other curious questions to ask you.

When you die what do you think will happen to you?

Not gonna go into the Heaven/Hell thing. Just wondering what you believe in

Reincarnation...

Nothingness...

Paradise....

Thank you!

we die, and that's it.

which i'm rather happy about.

I watched my oldest cat mourn the death of a kitten for a month.  She refused to relinquish the sweater he died on for that long, laid on it all the time, was distant. 

that's so sad :(

When you die what do you think will happen to you?

Hel, the hall of one of the High Gods, become a guardian spirit for my relatives and loved ones still alive in Midgard... I don't think I'm already enough of a hero to be reincarnated/resurrected... and of course, the ultimate prize is...

...VALHALLA!

I'll find out when I am dead, but I assume nothingness. Kinda like the nothing that existed before one is born.

In some ways animals are MORE aware than we are. My eldest cat knew the kitten was going to die before he did. It was like she could smell the death on him. Her behavior toward him changed drastically for two days before he died, then she never let another cat close to her again.

I think that people that think that other species are not aware, have never lived with with a different species, or were mindless twits while they did.

Here is an example of Cat PTSD! Apes are aware enough to learn sign language and communicate with people. I've never heard of a human that was aware enough to learn Gorilla.