Goodbye Jesus

Christianity and Recovery

JimmyfoJesus

1 hour ago, TrueScotsman said:

Once you know a religion's claims about the world can't be validated, say it was all "spiritual" and then cash in on the new warm fuzzy feelings that accompany those new delusions.  Religion doesn't cure depression, it just puts a bandaid on it so long as you embrace the "helpful" delusions, it is not a meaningful way to actually heal the mind.

True, but living your life in a way pleasing to God does fix depression. I'm not preaching the Christianity that was preached for thousands of years. I'm simply saying the New Covenant is done and gone away with forever, and the Old Covenant is back and here to stay. This isn't all about warm and fuzzy feelings, this is about a Fair and Just God Who rules over the Earth. It's about submit to His Will or be smited if you want it put in raw terms.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JimmyfoJesus said:

True, but living your life in a way pleasing to God does fix depression. I'm not preaching the Christianity that was preached for thousands of years. I'm simply saying the New Covenant is done and gone away with forever, and the Old Covenant is back and here to stay. This isn't all about warm and fuzzy feelings, this is about a Fair and Just God Who rules over the Earth. It's about submit to His Will or be smited if you want it put in raw terms.

Ok then. He's free to smite away. Any time He feels like it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JimmyfoJesus said:

A few years ago I thought about the phrase "throw out the baby with the bathwater" and I've wondered if the concept of sin, human worthlessness and a just but ruthless god are the useful concepts to pick up from Christianity, and the sugar coating like eternal life and unconditional love and Jesus dying for our sins is what should be cast out. We are mundane creations, destined to return to dust and be thankful for the brief, pitiful life we had.

On a side note, I kinda like how Islam is named. "Submission". It seems like that is the proper and rational attitude toward a supreme being.

Not to imply that I'm in any way religious. It's just that these ideas are esthetically pleasing to me. If I were to be sold a religion, this approach would make it seem much more consistent with reality and I'd be more likely to fall for it.

41 minutes ago, JimmyfoJesus said:

Go take your meds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimmyfoJesus said:

This one has escalated his proselytizing to the standard, 'Submit to my God or die' threat.  How quaint.  That puts him ¾ of the way to being completely full of shit, at least in my book.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyfoJesus said:

You have not even established the existence of your particular God yet.

Perhaps you'd like to at least attempt to do this before prattling about what you think this God want's and what we should do?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:
On 4/29/2018 at 1:14 PM, JimmyfoJesus said:

You have not even established the existence of your particular God yet.

Perhaps you'd like to at least attempt to do this before prattling about what you think this God want's and what we should do?

I second the motion for you to step up and try proving some of these claims, to us, and in like fashion, to yourself Jimmy.

Start at square one. You can't read Proverbs and know anything about the god in Proverbs, without first having understood Genesis. Start with the very reason you believe there is a god, because Genesis says so, before going on to what you think that god has revealed through Proverbs. 

• Like 1

He's probably gone - good.

If he WERE to come by again... sing it with me, awwwl Gawd's chillun...

"What makes you AN official representative of ANY religious organization, with ANY credentials AT ALL, let alone THE correct representative of THE correct organization with THE correct credentials, who, by virtue of said facts, should be heard and obeyed?"

Actually I really like the book of Proverbs. It's like Bronze Age Dear Abby or a self help book. Parts of it are annoying, but parts are great like "Like a dog returneth to his vomit, so doth a fool return to his folly". It's just observations on human nature for the most part. I think it's amazing in that it shows humans haven't changed all that much in the past ~3,000 years. Given that, I have a bit of sympathy for  JimmyJoeBob or whatever his name is, but he's really gone off the deep end with it.

On 4/29/2018 at 1:14 PM, JimmyfoJesus said:

I realize you've probably left this site by now, but FFS making the claim the pleasing a god will fix depression is utterly outlandish. And I'm going to take real issue with it because mental health problems are not fixed by aiming to please some being who doesn't exist. In fact, I can tell you the opposite, I know someone who tried to commit suicide due to the extreme depression and shame fundamentalism and belief in a god (due to what they believed as the all-seeing eye of that god) instilled in them. So, I'm not going to be polite here, I'm going to say, stuff these claims, I call BS when I see it. People who have mental health issues have enough to deal with without random peeps telling them pleasing a god is the fix all.

52 minutes ago, TrueScotsman said:

Here, here!  This shit is harmful when embraced, "your depression can only be cured if you believe exactly what I believe."  Such a manipulative belief system, must be terrifying to doubt, potentially..depression inducing...

The problem with being secular is that you're likely more lonely, because community really breaks down for some people after deconversion.  And it also does give a sense of hope and meaning, however fictitious.  

What is the cost though, to build such an abstract pillar of meaning and to see it one day crumbling down my the unstoppable power to doubt.  Of no longer being unable to look away from the truth that Jesus is no god, and no religious tradition has an evidential basis at all, to see the natural world and our psychological world as they are.  To search for the truth is the most essential journey as we traverse this mysterious and wondrous universe, sacrificing truth on the alter of happiness will not produce the desired propitiation they seek.

Yup, I had a lot of that in the back of my mind when I was thinking of a username, lol. I suppose I had some kind of community in the church, but the more I get to know some of you ex-c's and other secular people, the more I realize these friendships are built on something much stronger than having some belief in common. Particularly when some of my church friendships (and possibly even a couple family relationships) themselves were fully dependent on belonging to the faith. It's a false friendship when it crumbles when you reveal that you think another way. I would rather stand by my truth and my principles and be a bit lonely sometimes. I suppose the loss of community is harder for extroverts to deal with, but me, I feel nothing but relief when I realize I'm free of the stifling, confining, utterly non intellectual relationships I had in the church. Now I am free to find other friends who are more like me.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 5:16 PM, JimmyfoJesus said:

I'm an awakened person led by the Spirit, and the only way you'd know that I'm spiritually awakened is if you catch my eyes fluttering when I'm thinking through what's in front of me.

What in the actual fuck. Get lost, you fucking twat.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:55 PM, JimmyfoJesus said:

demonstrative evidence

That is one of the bullshit-est terms I have ever read - "demonstrative evidence".

What you THINK happened to your life because you read a MagicBook™ is your "evidence".

If someone else had the EXACT same experience/evidence as you without having read ANY religious texts, your argument would be totally invalidated.

Guess what, dumbass? Your argument IS totally invalidated, every fucking day.

One person really loves vanilla ice cream; another person HATES the taste of vanilla to the point of retching. All the "demonstrative evidence" that person A uses to "prove" that vanilla is delicious is complete shit, because as soon as person B even tries to taste vanilla, they get violently ill.

Your experiences, IOW, your FEELINGS about what book makes sense and what fairy-tales are meaningful to you - these things are completely irrelevant in the real world.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
On 4/28/2018 at 5:16 PM, JimmyfoJesus said:

I'm an awakened person led by the Spirit, and the only way you'd know that I'm spiritually awakened is if you catch my eyes fluttering when I'm thinking through what's in front of me.

If you must brag about and prove how "spiritual" you are......

"He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know." - Lao Tzu

• Like 1