Sign in to follow this  
older

Site problems with "unread content"

Many times in the last month or so, when I try to access the "unread content" link in the upper right, my browser spins and spins and then delivers the dialog: This site can’t be reached www.ex-christian.net unexpectedly closed the connection.

The site loads just fine otherwise. It's only the "unread content" that doesn't work. I've tried two different browsers and get the same result. Any ideas?

I am having the same issue.

0900PDT.

Chromium 59.xx on Ubuntu 16.04.  

Folks, it did take some time to load, much more than few times used prior here. 

Might try to clear browser caches, delete your collected unwanted cookies file, and possibly see if browser is up to date.

I can't find a problem with IPS' Help/Question section dealing with this particular issue. Will continue to see. Quite possibly another Community member has more input.

k

I cleared my cache and my cookies. It seemed to help. Still a little bit of lag, but i am not timing out anymore. Lag may simply be due to no cookies.

And now its doing it again. So apparently that was a temporary fix.

I'm getting a 504 error when I try this too (I've never used this feature until now).  Since everyone seems to be getting it I'm going to guess misconfigured server and/corrupt data.  Either the requests are being blocked, the database is responding too slowly and timing out or something along those lines.  I don't know how any of it is setup so I'm just taking shots in the dark here.

mwc

It's called the end of Net Neutrality.

2 hours ago, Burnedout said:

I literally have ZERO problem with it.  I don't even have an expensive computer.  It is a 5 year old ASUS laptop that I bought at Walmart for around $250.  

Well that must be the problem. I have a new, expensive computer. 😀

(Did you ever notice that software "upgrades" always seem to eliminate the features you like and make the things you do the most more difficult? And there is no logic behind most of the GUI changes; they change things only for the sake of change. I have a friend that says there are no computer upgrades. They are downgrades.)

• Thanks 1

I tried it just now in two different browsers and it worked in both as opposed to earlier.  Nothing changed on my end.

mwc

Funny though - the "Unread Content" works badly (gives "Error 504" right now too) on my shiny Sony smartphone from late 2017, but I have this really old laptop (pre-2010) that a cat had peed in and my friend was going to throw it the trash, and I rescued it to hone my computer skills on something that would be no loss if I broke it. And maybe you guessed it - the "Unread Content" works without errors on it. 

Fwiw, the poor old laptop is running Debian Linux (Stretch), and the browser is Chromium. 

Using Chrome: Clicked Unread Content - got the Error 504.

Used Internet Explorer - clicked Unread Content. Content displayed fine.

Went back to Chrome: Cleared all browsing history, data, cached images, cookies etc Re logged into Ex-C and clicked Unread Content. Content displayed.

Conclusion: Clear your browsing history to fix problem

I just did a clean sweep of my browser, clearing all cookies, browsing history and cashes. The problem remains.

I use Chrome on a 3 year old Dell and Comcast is my provider.  No issues.  I hadn't cleaned out the cookies, browsers, or cache in quite a while so I did that and checked again.  Still no issues.  Hope I didn't just jinx myself.  

Clearing out my stuff only fixed my issues for a short time. I am still having problems.

Spoke too soon about my old junk laptop. It got its first 504 now.

Well, one of the strengths of this site is to know that whatever the problem, you are not alone! 😀  Do you suppose there really is a god and he/she/it is punishing us?  :lol:

8 minutes ago, older said:

Well, one of the strengths of this site is to know that whatever the problem, you are not alone! 😀  Do you suppose there really is a god and he/she/it is punishing us?  :lol:

His name is Ajit Pai

AjitVPaiheadshot-580x358.jpg

He doesn't hate you but he wants you to pay the people who bribed him.

You know, capitalism at work.

Ajit has internet, if you have coin.

Now I'm getting the error message too.  It always happens the first time after I log in.  Once I've been logged in a while, if I hit "unread content" again it usually loads right up.   But that first time---it just churns and churns.........

Also searching the site for content is not working that well. It's a bit hit and miss.

Hm. After about a month of trouble, it's working fine for me today. 

On 5/3/2018 at 2:19 AM, yunea said:

Funny though - the "Unread Content" works badly (gives "Error 504" right now too) on my shiny Sony smartphone from late 2017, but I have this really old laptop (pre-2010) that a cat had peed in and my friend was going to throw it the trash, and I rescued it to hone my computer skills on something that would be no loss if I broke it. And maybe you guessed it - the "Unread Content" works without errors on it. 

Fwiw, the poor old laptop is running Debian Linux (Stretch), and the browser is Chromium. 

I’m trying to get my cat to pee on the computer now in case that might help. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.