Goodbye Jesus

Deism-The perfect religion

Geezer

1 You can believe whatever you want

2 You don't have to attend church because they don't have any churches.

3 There is no praying because Deist generally don't believe in a intervening God

4 Deists are not organized so you don't need to give them money.

5 Deists don't believe in sin, repentance, or forgiveness.

6 Deists don't believe in heaven or hell.

7. If a Christian ask you if you believe in God you can honestly say yes and avoid a confrontation.

8. When you die that's it, there isn't anything else. 

• Haha 1

Deism was really appealing to me for a long time after I left. To be honest, I do still sometimes reflect that it might be the case that there is a designer, or a prime mover, or whatever. I just don't find the arguments for deism to be persuasive. I don't think the conclusion follows. But it could. And it wouldn't bother me if it did. As you say, a harmless belief.

That is what the US is founded upon. Deistic Republicanism.
Casey

Is deism a religion at all? I would think that it's a spiritual position but not so much a religious one. It's not about sacred texts, revealed truths, revelation, etc., etc.

If I adopt Deism, am I still an atheist because I’m not a theist?

🤫

4 hours ago, Casey said:

That is what the US is founded upon. Deistic Republicanism.
Casey

True, but you won't convince a Christian of that. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Geezer said:

2 hours ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

If I adopt Deism, am I still an atheist because I’m not a theist?

🤫

Pretty much. Deism was originally considered to be a form of atheism. As far as I can tell most Deist don't believe in God per se. They seem to believe that "something" created the Universe and if people want to call that "something" God they're okay with that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geezer said:

True, but you won't convince a Christian of that.  

Right, but in that case it's always been something of a wonder to me then how Fundy Christians relate to the American Revolution? Because, according to their faith, the only Government acceptable to their faith must be a Monarchy. When Israel demanded to be ruled like the other countries surrounding it, Yahweh grudgingly granted them a Monarchy, but rather in the way Mephistopheles grants Faust a wife when the latter demands one. And in the New Testament we have 1 Peter 2:17 (KJV) which says, inter alia, "Fear God. Honour the king."

I don't see how the American Revolution honoured the King, but then, I suppose you Americans, "Made war upon the King's English as well as upon the English King."

Casey

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, Geezer said:

1 You can believe whatever you want

2 You don't have to attend church because they don't have any churches.

3 There is no praying because Deist generally don't believe in a intervening God

4 Deists are not organized so you don't need to give them money.

5 Deists don't believe in sin, repentance, or forgiveness.

6 Deists don't believe in heaven or hell.

7. If a Christian ask you if you believe in God you can honestly say yes and avoid a confrontation.

8. When you die that's it, there isn't anything else. 

True, but I enjoy telling Christians if they ask if I believe in God, "Oh yes, many." They don't know what to do with that. Most of them can't believe there are any polytheists left. So when dealing with Christians this is way more edgy. :P  The next thing they usually say is: "You believe in all these gods but not the Christian god?" And I say, "Nope, I believe in everybody's gods. I just don't believe everybody's gods are relevant to me." This is always a fun convo to have.

• Haha 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.