TrueScotsman

The Myth of the Alpha Male

3 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Loved your post. But be careful. Saying anything against the left here earns  you some nasty titles. I had more likes than posts in these forums before I started discussing issues with these guys.

DB

I've sworn off taking political positions at ex C. I'm only in it for the logic and reason alone. If logic and reason doesn't line up with a political view, that's just too bad for whoever's allowing a political view to blind them. 

• Like 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

2 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Loved your post. But be careful. Saying anything against the left here earns  you some nasty titles. I had more likes than posts in these forums before I started discussing issues with these guys.

DB

Moral of the story: TOT is best avoided. Like Twitter, it seems to lead to nothing but elevated blood pressure 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TrueScotsman said:

Care to engage the content of the OP, are you comforted by your delusions of superiority?  So many cowardly alphas won't address the OP, man up and grow a pair and defend your nonsense.

This was my first response in this thread after I said stretch yawn silly betas. I was called delusional, cowardly, and that I had no balls for trying to make a funny. The very first response to the very first thing I said.  

Am I wrong for the resulting tirade that followed? Really? Who wants to reply to this shit respectfully? And when I did address the OP the same person ended up calling me an asshole, idiot, among other names

Who is really hiding behind a keyboard here. Just saying.

DB

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

Moral of the story: TOT is best avoided. Like Twitter, it seems to lead to nothing but elevated blood pressure 

I am seeing your point clearly. Maybe I can draw myself out of here. I really get sucked into politics easily. I'll try to take a lil break at least

DB

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Who is really hiding behind a keyboard here?

DB

The betas. :Look:

20 hours ago, TrueScotsman said:
20 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Awwww *stretch, yawn*  silly Betas. SMH 

Care to engage the content of the OP, are you comforted by your delusions of superiority?  So many cowardly alphas won't address the OP, man up and grow a pair and defend your nonsense.

This is DB's first post

11 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

This was my first response in this thread after I said stretch yawn silly betas. I was called delusional, cowardly, and that I had no balls for trying to make a funny. The very first response to the very first thing I said.  

Am I wrong for the resulting tirade that followed? Really? Who wants to reply to this shit respectfully? And when I did address the OP the same person ended up calling me an asshole, idiot, among other names

DB

32 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

I'm confused by the confusion here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Alpha Male

It’s the common issue of definition vs usage.  As with feminist, how the term is defined is not how it is commonly used.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

That really sucks.  TOT is the last one I’m still interested in.  If I leave TOT, I leave Ex-C altogether.  😔

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

This is DB's first post

Yes I said I said stretch yawn silly betas. I was trying to make a joke. I wasnt really going to get envolved at first. Just make an alpha male joke. Does that deserve the following comment by TS? 

DB

1 minute ago, Daffodil said:

That really sucks.  TOT is the last one I’m still interested in.  If I leave TOT, I leave Ex-C altogether.  😔

Your choice entirely, Daff!  If you like it, by all means continue.  Personally, I’m not interested in getting mad at my fellow-apostates in a community that’s all about supporting other Ex-Christians...

8 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

It’s the common issue of definition vs usage.  As with feminist, how the term is defined is not how it is commonly used.

I've even mentioned in former posts on the subject alpha females which is again another term of usage. But the only point that has been focused on is the Alpha male comments. 

DB

18 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

Oh I get it. You reposted so the ones ignoring me could see. Thank you sir

I'm doing the intellectually honest duty of reading the linked article of the OP before I go any further: https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/the-myth-of-the-alpha-male/

The studies about which traits women prefer do not make a myth out of the alpha male. It only means that certain aggressive traits were found unfavorable out of a 50 woman study. The alpha male, in and of itself, is not shown to be a myth in this article. 

Women preferred traits like "easy going," for instance, in high percentages. But none of this really speaks to the issue of males falling either alpha or beta. There's going to be alpha's who are big, strong guys who are at the same time easy going but who are no one you'd want to mess with. There are going to be beta's who are cowardly around alpha males, but who beat women and children, punch walls, and try and act tough towards whoever they think they can get away with acting tough towards.

And guess what, women love guys that are a combination of non aggressive with the ability to be very aggressive given the need to DEFEND them. And dislike some little sissy who can't defend them, but who will beat them around to try and act tough and establish dominance over a female. It's not rocket science here. It's not even science. It's just basic human social interaction which doesn't fit neatly into any one box. 

To put this study in a real-world context, the guy in high school that all the girls go for is the guy who can dominate a player from a rival school on the football field on Friday night, but who’s likeable and friendly to his own classmates during the week.

This makes sense. But this is simply an example of a type of alpha male, not negation against the existence thereof. 

And in conclusion the article says: 

The true alpha is fuller, deeper, and richer.

It speaks of a prestigious man, who, is basically a combination of traits which outlines what the TRUE alpha male actually seems to be. 

This isn't what the title of the article suggests, BTW. It outlines the "myth" of the alpha male in terms of what an alpha male has in some cases been misunderstood to be. The prestigious man who can be aggressive towards rivals or competitors but kind to his own social group IS an alpha male. 

There's still some guy, an alpha male, who others who don't see themselves as being, can then hate on. 

So instead of all of this BS hating that's been going on, why not focus on loosing the hate factor? 

Don't hate someone for being this idealistic prestigious alpha male, and don't hate yourself for not feeling like you can add up to this ideal. 

Let's try making some sense of this, eh? 

@TrueScotsman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

DB

You were called an asshole because you actually challenged someone in this thread who is twice your age to a fight.  Continue on keyboard warrior.

2 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I do have him on ignore... except sometimes I see others quoting him so respond. Fair point. I'll keep trying to cut back on responding.

Thanks.

Well it’s been fun watching you guys compare your twigs and berries, but here are some thoughts.

I’ve heard many men say they find confident, self-assured, strong women attractive.  Could it be that we all, men and women, are attracted to that self-assured, relaxed, I-know-what-I-am-and-what-I-am-not-and-am-at-ease-with-myself confidence?  That what is called “alpha male” is really just easy self confidence, but the term has been co-opted to be representative of the aggressive, in-your-face masculinity that has been described here?  Maybe it should really be called “alpha human” as that easy confidence can be present in both sexes.

Another thought:  most women I know find a man who can dance or play a music instrument (well, certain musical instruments) to be more attractive.  Could simple physical prowess, apart from the “attitude” have something to do with it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

Maybe it should really be called “alpha human” as that easy confidence can be present in both sexes.

Nah,  I would just call it a well-adjusted person; better connotation that way.  You are certainly right about it being an attractive feature in either gender.

57 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

Well it’s been fun watching you guys compare your twigs and berries, but here are some thoughts.

I’ve heard many men say they find confident, self-assured, strong women attractive.  Could it be that we all, men and women, are attracted to that self-assured, relaxed, I-know-what-I-am-and-what-I-am-not-and-am-at-ease-with-myself confidence?  That what is called “alpha male” is really just easy self confidence, but the term has been co-opted to be representative of the aggressive, in-your-face masculinity that has been described here?  Maybe it should really be called “alpha human” as that easy confidence can be present in both sexes.

Another thought:  most women I know find a man who can dance or play a music instrument (well, certain musical instruments) to be more attractive.  Could simple physical prowess, apart from the “attitude” have something to do with it?

When I first brought up the alpha male subject I conceded that it was a difference in terminology that we were both using. What they were describing as an Alpha wasn't what I was describing as an alpha. I also mentioned both Alpha males and Alpha females. Alpha human would be an acceptable term. However I don't think I will get any likes myself because of my stance on other subjects. Even tho what you just said and what I said in threads weeks old are essentially the same thing. I'm pretty sure I am a target in these threads for some reason right now. Not what I expected from a community of loving non believers. One can only be pushed so far. 

DB

2 hours ago, TrueScotsman said:

You were called an asshole because you actually challenged someone in this thread who is twice your age to a fight.  Continue on keyboard warrior.

And what about the initial comment of being cowardly, ball less, and delusional? That was ok right? 

When I said that to my mistake I didn't know his age and still don't. I'm almost 40 so how old is he 80? I also thought he lived in Tennessee. It was also not a challenge to the death. Simply if he wanted to call me a key board warrior like you just did that we could take care of it legally. With pads and gloves. I may get my ass whipped I dunno. I'm not the best fighter. I'm big and slow. But if someone wants to call me ball less then I will open an invitation. Don't throw it out there if your not willing to back it up. I'm not going to let people run over me just because it's the politically correct thing to do. 

DB

2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Yes I said I said stretch yawn silly betas. I was trying to make a joke. I wasnt really going to get envolved at first. Just make an alpha male joke. Does that deserve the following comment by TS? 

DB

Gentlemen, ladies, friends, 

I think what might be happening here is that because of shit trolling and calling names etc that has gone on for some time (as has been well discussed) that we all are now at zero tolerance levels. So now we are at the point that jokes are taken seriously because it's hard to tell the difference between arsehole shit trolling and jokes. They look the same in text.

We have two examples. DB jokes TS and TS gets upset right away. Fwee jokes about MM calling DB names and DB gets upset right away. 

Normally we'd see and be able to take a joke but because of the toxic situation generated by a few we suddenly are at each other's throats. 

Am I in the ball park here? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Gentlemen, ladies, friends, 

I think what might be happening here is that because of shit trolling and calling names etc that has gone on for some time (as has been well discussed) that we all are now at zero tolerance levels. So now we are at the point that jokes are taken seriously because it's hard to tell the difference between arsehole shit trolling and jokes. They look the same in text.

We have two examples. DB jokes TS and TS gets upset right away. Fwee jokes about MM calling DB names and DB gets upset right away. 

Normally we'd see and be able to take a joke but because of the toxic situation generated by a few we suddenly are at each other's throats. 

Am I in the ball park here? 

Yep I think your in the ball park