older

Grandparents do sneak baptism of atheist kid

Here's an interesting letter to an advice columnist about an atheist family whose infant child was surreptitiously baptized by the Catholic grandparents:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/parenting-advice-about-secret-baptisms-cleaning-services-and-separate-rooms.html

• Sad 1

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Everyone knows that once a priest has done a baptism it cannot be undone except by a level 8 mage.

mwc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The response given was good advice, but they did not go far enough.  If these grandparents (both sets!) are willing to have a whole ceremony done without the knowledge or consent of the parents when the child is a baby, what else are they willing to do!?  They need to find new babysitters, even if they have to sacrifice to pay for it, and inform the grandparents that they have lost their childrens' trust and will no longer be allowed unsupervised access to the grandchild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If that happened to me I would be like: Mom and Dad you preformed a secret ritual that you knew I would forbid.  If that is the way it is going to be then I will secretly perform rituals that I know you would never condone or accept.  It's payback time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I got married late, in my forties to a younger girl from an Irish Catholic background, but who had not attended church for years. Of course when our child was born she wanted to get him baptized. It was like I knew if I didn't agree she'd sneak out and do it.  So I bit my tongue and went along with it. That child is now an adult and so far as I know an agnostic. It's a feel good thing, it wasn't worth making a stand over, at least for me.  The situation in this case is a bit different, however.. 

“Oh hi guys. Just doing a Satanic ritual in your kitchen while you were gone... wanna join in?...

Are you upset about something?”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2