Sign in to follow this  
older

Why evangelicals support Trump

Here's an interesting article on why evangelicals support Trump. It's long, so don't try to read it while you're on the run.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/05/white-evangelicals-would-keep-supporting-trump-even-without-roe-v-wade.html

• Thanks 1

An interesting article. I have pondered on the reasons for such strong support from the religious right. Even my parents are willing to make the same arguments (It happened in the past, his talk was just man talk, he just speaks his mind etc)

The article touches on how conservatives and evangelicals seem more likely to reject information that conflicts with their political beliefs, and I'd also say their religious beliefs. It might explain why they are less inclined to accept scientific findings than liberals.

It's interesting following the broader thinking at different times. For example in the early 20th century the article reports that evangelicals were preaching that society was moving backwards - incidentally a cry oft sung by Christians here despite general overall societal health. These days the cry is that the US is facing imminent destruction. Very similar to the Christians saying the apocalypse is coming, or the world is ending soon etc.

Cultural shift seems to have had an impact, and the effects are not isolated to the US. Here some of the older white religious folks are getting very upset at our native people, the Maori, getting settlements, and getting more cultural recognition. Ironically these same people look at people from other cultures with disgust and suggest "they go back to their own country". I quietly remind such that those peoples ancestors where here before ours - if anyone has to go it would be us.

Certainly I think there are interesting, if not turbulent times ahead. I think we will continue seeing cultural shift. Hopefully we as a species can adapt and live peaceably together.

• Like 1

It's not complicated.   

Gee, why is it that the people who reject reality for the delusions of Christianity and racism, so easily fall for a scam artist who is championing Christian racism? 

• Like 1

older,

Took a few hours and read through article twice.  You are certainly correct sir, not a simple quick buzz though.

kL

I see. If you're a Republican you can be as great a sinner as you wish, because Jesus has your back; if you're a Democrat, the least sin means you can go to the Devil, because you're only four letters away from being a Demon. That sound about right?

Casey

• Like 5

The far left and right in America fear each other. Both believe the other group is out to destroy them. Compromise is now considered to be a sell out & those that are willing to compromise must be removed from office. Politics in America is now a fight for ultimate power & control, winner take all.

The States are lined up pretty much like they were during the Civil War & I don't see that changing. California is the odd State out and wants to form their own country and many of the fly over States wouldn't mind seeing California leave the Union either. 

Other States, with dominate cities like New York & Chicago, want to form new States like North New York & and South Illinois because the Big cities dominate the political landscape in those States. As an alternative California wants to break up into 2 or 3 States because the costal cities dominate their political landscape.

Nothing like that is likely to actually happen, but it is possible for States to form new States because that has happened in the past. The Carolinas, Virginia, Etc.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I see. If you're a Republican you can be as great a sinner as you wish, because Jesus has your back; if you're a Democrat, the least sin means you can go to the Devil, because you're only four letters away from being a Demon. That sound about right?

I had offline conversations about this with my relatives back in 2016.  Hillary is evil because she does all the things they say on Fox News.  I would point out the obvious problems with Trump's bad behavior.  My relatives would say Trump is forgiven because he became a Christian.  Then I would ask "Are you going to forgive Hillary too?".  The answer was of course not because "Hillary is not a Christian".  I answered "She attended church her whole life and use to teach Sunday school.  They answer "You can't believe the lies you hear from the news media".

So now here we are giving Iran permission to build nukes and nobody who supports the decision can offer an explanation that is also true.

4 hours ago, Burnedout said:

The so-called Iran Nuke treaty was never ratified by the Senate.  Therefore, there was no formal treaty, just an agreement. 

So does that make it a good idea to let Iran build nuclear weapons?  I don't understand why we would do that.  I'm not talking about what they say on Fox, I mean the real reason.  Did somebody bribe Trump to do this?

7 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

If they want to, there is not a whole bunch that can really stop them.  You are not naive enough to think they would stop because of some signed agreement do you?  They have not shown that in my lifetime or yours.

So you have no explanation that is true.  The bribe hypothesis shows some promise.  We know Trump has accepted many bribes last year, including that half million dollars paid to his lawyer, Mr. Fixit.  And all those shady real estate deals he keeps making.  We just don't know what the bribes were for.  

Destroying a deal that prevented nuclear proliferation is mind boggling.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-iran-deal-is-working-heres-how-we-know/2017/09/29/d138b070-a44c-11e7-b14f-f41773cd5a14_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d9523ee36c6d

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/07/iran-nuclear-deal-two-years/533556/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33521655

On 5/10/2018 at 8:39 AM, Geezer said:

California is the odd State out and wants to form their own country and many of the fly over States wouldn't mind seeing California leave the Union either. 

True, but Texas wanted to do that when Obama was president. Both exemplify the extremes of this country. 

2 hours ago, Burnedout said:

MM,

How can you be sure they will not lie?  Didn't do much for us with N. Korea.  They still kept it up despite sanctions and embargos et. al.  

Everybody who hates Trump has been dead wrong so far.  He has politically been kicking their ass.  BTW...everyone of those sources was sure Hillary would win, right up to the day she lost.  You are making assumptions alone. 

There are two possibilities.  One of them must be false.  Either:

-Most of the world has joined a conspiracy against Donald Trump where millions of people constantly lie and falsify data all so that they will gain nothing at all.  But somehow due to bad luck, Trump acts guilty all the time even though he is really innocent.

or

-Donald Trump is a cheat and a fraud who uses deception to gain wealth, power and also to avoid the consequences of his crimes.

One of these possibilities makes sense and the other doesn't.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

3rd possiblity.  Trump is right.  So far, he has been winning on foreign policy.  He is very popular and will likely, short of something very drastic, win a second term. 

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.